U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:39 AM

787 posts, read 3,321,817 times

Advertisements

And of course Greenville is not in Greene County either. It is in Pitt County, a bordering county. But some of the reasons why the cities might not be in the county that you expect them to be in might be due to several counties that were separated from the 1700's to the 1800's. At one point Craven County ran nearly the entire span of the southeastern part of North Carolina. And Dobbs county included Greene, Lenoir, and possibly Wayne and Johnston Counties as well. Although I am not sure what came first the county name or the city name except for Greene County where I live. Greene county was incorporated in 1799 and Snow Hill was named and incorporated somewhere in the early 1800's. But that was after it was separated at least twice if not more from other counties. There are 100 counties in North Carolina at the present time. And I doubt there will be any major changes although a rumor got started here a while back that since Greene County was such a poverty county, they were going to divide it into fourths and Wilson, Wayne, Pitt, and Lenoir were be getting a portion of Greene County added to their counties. I don't see this happening. The people of Greene County are set in their ways. If they do something like this, they better wait until some of the founding father's ancestors get out of here and with 13-18th generations of families still living here, I don't see it happening ever. And besides, 100 counties sounds a lot better than 99 counties anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2006, 10:40 AM

143 posts, read 443,526 times
Man, there are a lot of these!

While on the diversionary topic of Snow Hill, I wonder if anyone knows how Snow Camp got its name. Any ideas?

Old 04-24-2006, 10:57 AM

Is Snow Camp in Sampson County, Steve? Somewhere along the way I was thinking they had Snow Hill and Snow Camp mixed up when they were reporting the news one. They kept calling it Snow Hill and reported that it was in Sampson County which clearly it isn't.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:15 AM

143 posts, read 443,526 times
Bethany,
It's in Alamance County, almost due south of Burlington.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:08 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,666,752 times
Stanley is not in Stanly county.

And to newcomers, make sure you pronounce the names of our cities right! Beaufort is pronounced "Bo-fert"

Cherryville in Gaston county is pronounced "Chur-vulle"

Old 04-24-2006, 05:11 PM

Anyone want to take a whack at pronouncing this Wilson County town? No natives please. LOL

Lucama

If I had a nickel for everyone who pronounced this wrong, I would be rich. This is where I met my husband at. Small as it is they had a dance hall there in 1985.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:15 PM

Steve, to answer your question about how Snow Camp got its name and I quote:

"Snow Camp ~ Dixon’s Mill here dates from 1753. Legend says the name Snow Camp was given the to the community by Cornwallis’ soldiers who camped here after the Battle of Guilford Courthouse during a heavy snow."

Old 04-24-2006, 07:31 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,775,041 times
Default Others

The towns of Madison and Graham are also not in the counties of the same name.

Neither Asheville nor Asheboro is in Ashe County.

There are plenty more like this out there!

Old 08-26-2006, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,015 times
Default Wake Forest

Wake Forest University did originate in the town of Wake Forest, NC. In the early 50's the RJ Reynolds family gave the university (then a college) the acreage it now occupies on the northwest side of Winston-Salem. Included was the area known as Reynolda Gardens where the family mansion is located and is now used as a conference center. Also, While Franklin is not in Franklin County and Macon is not in Macon County. Franklin is in Macon County.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,015 times
Default Winston-Salem

Winston-Salem was not originally one town/city. Salem was founded by the Moravians and that area is now referred to as Old Salem. It is the home of Salem College. The town of Winston was named for a Revolutionary War hero. The 2 towns merged in the early 20th century (1919 if I remember correctly) and is home to a number of excellent universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or