U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:15 AM

8 posts, read 31,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
Check this site for county and city pronunciations. Including Lucama.

http://www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/ref/resources/tlth.html
I'd say I got it right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 08:22 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,925 times
Yes, I know you did. I posted the link for everyone.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 AM

8 posts, read 31,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
Yes, I know you did. I posted the link for everyone.
Thanks Niki

Old 01-22-2007, 08:37 AM

325 posts, read 1,296,700 times
Now that everyone knows how to say Lucama, anyone want to take a guess on where the name came from?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu99 View Post
Now that everyone knows how to say Lucama, anyone want to take a guess on where the name came from?
OK, time's up. It was named after 3 sisters: LUcy, CArrie, and MAry.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:10 PM

15 posts, read 64,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/History/Images/histfig6.gif (broken link)
Notice Moore County,

The eastern panhandle is not there. It could be very possible, the panhandle was added after the creation of Fort Bragg since northern Hoke would of been completely cut off by the southern portion (you'd have to leave the county to go back to the county!). Afterall, there is the road that is not open to the public that runs between Vass and Raeford (vass road). Its also very possible that Morganton Road in Fayetteville was once all connected to the Pinehurst & Southern Pines portion of Morganton Road but thats subject to debate on that one since Morganton Road is not fully connected anymore (i suspect street name changes occured later in So Pines after the creation of Ft Bragg).

Old 01-25-2007, 12:35 PM

58 posts, read 203,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
Anyone want to take a whack at pronouncing this Wilson County town? No natives please. LOL

Lucama

If I had a nickel for everyone who pronounced this wrong, I would be rich. This is where I met my husband at. Small as it is they had a dance hall there in 1985.
I call it Lou-cah-ma

I live in bordering edgecombe county, and I do go through lucama to go south 95, but I wouldent call me a native of the town

Old 01-25-2007, 04:47 PM

570 posts, read 544,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The city of Asheville is NOT located in Ashe County.
The city of Henderson is NOT located in Henderson County.
Wake Forest University is NOT located in Wake Forest, NC.
Not only is Asheville not located in Ashe County, but neither is Asheboro. As for Wake Forest University, it USED to be located in Wake Forest (when it was Wake Forest College), but moved to Winston-Salem 50 plus years ago. Last I heard, the old Wake Forest College is now a Baptist seminary.

A more recent oddity: There is an area in NC called Wachovia, which includes the city of Winston-Salem. But Wachovia National Bank is not headquartered there, but is in Charlotte, instead, which is not part of the Wachovia region. Of course, the Wachovia bank headquarters USED to be in Winston-Salem before moving to Charlotte (a move which I'm sure still annoys the people of Winston-Salem).

Old 01-25-2007, 05:02 PM

570 posts, read 544,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPBomber View Post
Ummm... Loo-kah-mah?

If I had a nickel for everytime I noticed someone ending a sentence with a preposition, I'd be rich.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I wonder what people write and talk that way for? (Just kidding

Old 01-26-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I wonder what people write and talk that way for? (Just kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu99 View Post
Looks like I'm guilty. I never was an English major and never will be. Just comes from growing up in eastern NC I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or