U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:53 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,544,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
About 75% of the companies in my field have announced that they are dropping Paypal and switching to sqare as a result of PayPal's decision.
Hope you read the list Jowel just posted...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 PM

4,011 posts, read 2,507,999 times
Those 38 companies that approve this bill dont know about the real stuff on that bill. They think the only issue on the bill is the restrooms

Old 04-07-2016, 09:59 PM

9,394 posts, read 18,227,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I totally get boycotting a business or person for an unjust and unnecessary law that someone is fundamentally opposed to, and I can understand a company like Paypal shying away from a state because it's a poor cultural fit with their values, and their employees likely would feel uncomfortable in a that type of perceived cultural climate, based on the troublesome actions of a few which get lots of publicity. But what I don't understand is an individual boycotting an entire geographic area, rather than a specific business, business owner, etc.

There are plenty of people, including myself, who vehemently disagree with poorly thought out, unjust laws (such as HB 2) that happen to be made in the state in which we live. Why "punish" everyone, including those individuals and businesses who are opposed to what's been pushed through the legislature, who voted against the extremist individuals who pushed such legislation through? In case you haven't noticed, not everybody from NC thinks the way the current legislature seems to think we think. You may very likely be boycotting people who are completely opposed to certain legislators misusing their time and energy on passing legislation that removes civil rights/employee protections from its citizens and takes away local control in a power grab by faraway officials in Raleigh (similar to how certain legislators tried to redo Greensboro's City Council district composition without consulting Greensboro). People who work hard to support themselves and their families who never voted for the people pushing this, and plan to aggressively vote for someone of a different ilk in hopes that a more thoughtful group of legislators who realize they represent all of their constituents, whether they personally would be friends with them or not, not just the ones who voted them in and are look, think, and are naturally just like them.

Why punish everyone? I don't get that part of the thought process?
You make a very good point here. I was inclined to agree with the poster you responded to. However, I have family in NC. So I really do have to go to the state once in a while regardless of whether I like the state or not. I'm a gay man, and honestly I could never live in a state that didn't have laws against discrimination for employment and residency. But, that doesn't mean I can't visit NC, enjoy my time with my family, and support businesses that make it visible that I am welcome there. I can definitely get behind that.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 04-07-2016 at 10:10 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 10:44 PM

15,723 posts, read 9,600,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Hope you read the list Jowel just posted...
Lol, that list. The entire opposition list is like all Fortune 500 companies, states, and cities. The supporters of HB2 are businesses like "God's Glamorous Girls". Not a single Fortune 500 company in the support list. Shocker...

As usual, the bigots are on the wrong side of history and the world.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,642,587 times

Old 04-08-2016, 12:16 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,979,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
You make a very good point here. I was inclined to agree with the poster you responded to. However, I have family in NC. So I really do have to go to the state once in a while regardless of whether I like the state or not. I'm a gay man, and honestly I could never live in a state that didn't have laws against discrimination for employment and residency. But, that doesn't mean I can't visit NC, enjoy my time with my family, and support businesses that make it visible that I am welcome there. I can definitely get behind that.
Please know that some of the statewide legislative actions that have been happening lately don't reflect the state as a whole any more than someone like Joe Arpaio is reflective of a large city like Phoenix. Even in some of the regions of the state that are viewed as politically backwards, there are people who are more reasonable and can look at all sides of complex issues with more compassion and discernment than some of the mean spirited rhetoric currently coming out of Raleigh on this and other social issues, education, etc.

Even people who are probably normally ambivalent about LGBT issues can have compassion towards people who happen to be made up differently than them in only one aspect of their being have more in common than they may realize, like having the same concerns over other issues just like themselves and needing to put food on their table, a roof over their heads, and the need and right to be treated with dignity and respect just like everyone else. The bathroom issue has gotten blown way out of proportion. Please don't let that point get lost in all the politicized garbage and fear mongering, that's going around.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:37 PM

700 posts, read 459,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

Both Bank of America and Lowes have publicly spoken against HB 2. The article below lists both of them as against HB2.

Updated list: Who has spoken for, against NC

I don't know about the Highland Gaelic Ale; I haven't seen them listed one way or another.

As a consumer, of course it's your prerogative to patronize whatever businesses you'd like, but why would you boycott a company who has publicly come forth and spoken against HB 2?

HB2 was passed by the NC Legislature and signed by the Governor. HB2 was not approved by a corporate Board of Directors. That's not how it works.

I'm well aware those companies have spoken out against HB2 but boycotting them still turns up the pressure on the politicians in that less revenue for them is less tax revenue for the state.

I will be sad about not going to Asheville this year, and as long as this discrimination law stands, but I guess we'll visit Greenville and Chattanooga as our Asheville retirement plans are off the table for now.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:44 PM

3,856 posts, read 6,622,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
I'm well aware those companies have spoken out against HB2 but boycotting them still turns up the pressure on the politicians in that less revenue for them is less tax revenue for the state.

I will be sad about not going to Asheville this year, and as long as this discrimination law stands, but I guess we'll visit Greenville and Chattanooga as our Asheville retirement plans are off the table for now.
I love Greenville, SC, so don't get me wrong, but you do realize that Greenville is home to Bob Jones University, don't you?

Old 04-08-2016, 12:49 PM

725 posts, read 1,297,959 times
Haha Sir Charles? Remember when he insulted all the women of a city?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUsJZzW-a-g

Was he standing up for them? Curious how many times he's asked the NBA to let some women play.

Last edited by boardmember10000; 04-08-2016 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: e

Old 04-08-2016, 12:50 PM

398 posts, read 366,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post

Better hurry:

"South Carolina would ban transgender people from using public bathrooms, showers or changing rooms of their choice under a bill introduced in the state Senate on Wednesday.

The bill’s sponsor, Sen. Lee Bright, R-Spatanburg, said his proposal mimics a controversial law passed last month in North Carolina, which also blocked local governments’ laws protecting the rights of gay, bisexual and transgender men and women."

Read more here: SC bill would ban transgender people from using bathrooms of their choosing | News & Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina