Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:00 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,406,578 times

Advertisements

Shoot yourself in the foot, North Carolina!

North Carolina starts to see economic damage from 'anti-bias' law | MSNBC

PayPal
Google Ventures
Braeburn Pharmaceuticals

Did they really think there would be no fall out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 02:08 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

PayPal
Google Ventures
Braeburn Pharmaceuticals

Not only that, but there is legal fallout for non LGBT citizens.
NC woman suing for age discrimination gets caught up in HB2 bill fallout | WNCN

But pay no attention, this law is only about bathrooms.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:11 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

PayPal
Google Ventures
Braeburn Pharmaceuticals

Yes, actually they did. The Head of Commerce for NC said he doesn't think the state will suffer any issues over this.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:11 PM

730 posts, read 774,983 times
I closed our Bank of America accounts today after being with them since the NCNB days. I will not have my money at a bank based in state that supports discrimination.

I will also no longer buy anything from Lowes or Belk.

i walked right past my beloved Highland Gaelic Ale in the store today and grabbed a sixer of Bell's instead.

Last edited by Clever nickname here; 04-07-2016 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 03:22 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
I closed our Bank of America accounts today after being with them since the NCNB days. I will not have my money at a bank based in state that supports discrimination.

I will also no longer buy anything from Lowes.

i walked right past my beloved Highland Gaelic Ale in the store today and grabbed a sixer of Bell's instead.
And this, North Carolina folks, is why we MUST vote these clowns out of office in November. It won't cure the wound, but maybe we can stem the bleeding...

Old 04-07-2016, 05:58 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,395 times
I see the CIAA moving to VA next year

Old 04-07-2016, 06:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Fair enough. At the same time, all this does is punish the citizens of Charlotte. This is what drives me crazy about the liberal mindset. If you don't like an opposing view, then let's destroy that opposing view. Let's ridicule anyone who doesn't share our same ideology. If there's collateral damage (citizens of Charlotte and state of NC), then it's all worth it. That has to be the dumbest mindset in the history of the world. The very ones who preach tolerance are the most intolerant themselves.

And I'm sorry, but PayPal is not doing anything that deserves a pack on the back. They are punishing the American people because its leaders don't approve of what the governor and GA passed as a law in NC. They will still gladly take the governor's money if he uses PayPal to buy something. They will gladly take the money of any terrorist. If it was truly about PayPal standing up for what they think is right, they should be ashamed to take money from those who they don't see eye to eye on politically. But, they won't do that, because they know if they truly was doing this in the name of standing up for what is right, the company would suffer. Because if there are enough states who agree with NC, that would dry up a lot of profit for PayPal. And forget about expanding out into other countries, because as we know, there are a lot of countries in this world who are more opposed of the LGBT community than the US is. No, PayPal won't do that. And that is what is hypocritical about them.
Funny thing is your description of the liberal mindset is identical to how I see the right-wing mindset.

HB2 is punitive & mean-spirited, on purpose. The Charlotte bill was not.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:11 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
About 75% of the companies in my field have announced that they are dropping Paypal and switching to sqare as a result of PayPal's decision.
and what's "your field"?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:15 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
And I'm sorry, but PayPal is not doing anything that deserves a pack on the back. They are punishing the American people because its leaders don't approve of what the governor and GA passed as a law in NC.
Trust me, the American people are not going to lose sleep over this.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:45 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,603,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post

I will also no longer buy anything from Lowes or Belk.

Both Bank of America and Lowes have publicly spoken against HB 2. The article below lists both of them as against HB2.

Updated list: Who has spoken for, against NC

I don't know about the Highland Gaelic Ale; I haven't seen them listed one way or another.

As a consumer, of course it's your prerogative to patronize whatever businesses you'd like, but why would you boycott a company who has publicly come forth and spoken against HB 2?

HB2 was passed by the NC Legislature and signed by the Governor. HB2 was not approved by a corporate Board of Directors. That's not how it works.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-07-2016 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina