U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 08:05 AM

78 posts, read 397,761 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance if you see this message on other boards. I am desperate to get help. Many of you have answered my questions in the past, and I appreciate it.

We are a young family of four and VERY middle class. We don't make a lot of money, but enough to where I am able to stay at home with our two children.

We currently live in VA, and although we have met some wonderful people, we aren't happy with the area at all. There just isn't enough to do, especially for children, unless we go out to eat or go to church. We have researched places that we would love to live, but EVERYWHERE that we are considering is too expensive. I'm hoping someone knows of an affordable alternative. These are the things we are looking for:

Good public schools, low crime. We need a place that is affordable. We were very interested in either Ithaca, NY or Milford, CT, or Chapel Hill, NC.

I really want us to move into a neighborhood with a lot of families and where we are not having to drive far to get into some type of town center, and not being car from a larger city. We will not have family anywhere near us and don't want to be in a place where it is terribly hard to meet families like ourselves. Please help us find a solution! We will renting the first two years, and then hope to buy a house that is no more expensive than $200,000.

We just can't afford these places that we are interested in. We need more affordable options.

Please help us find our dream place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM

3,399 posts, read 8,893,420 times
Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point/Burlington/Mebane/Hickory/Statesville/Salisbury/Gastonia/Albemarle/Rock Hill, SC/Concord/Harrisburg/Durham/Apex/Oxford

The list can go on and on.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,107,554 times
i can vouch for mebane in that the homes are still affordable, the town center is cute, though needs a little more life. there are a couple of strip malls, and its growing...

Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 PM

45,270 posts, read 85,094,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusmom View Post
I apologize in advance if you see this message on other boards. I am desperate to get help. Many of you have answered my questions in the past, and I appreciate it.

We are a young family of four and VERY middle class. We don't make a lot of money, but enough to where I am able to stay at home with our two children.

We currently live in VA, and although we have met some wonderful people, we aren't happy with the area at all. There just isn't enough to do, especially for children, unless we go out to eat or go to church. We have researched places that we would love to live, but EVERYWHERE that we are considering is too expensive. I'm hoping someone knows of an affordable alternative. These are the things we are looking for:

Good public schools, low crime. We need a place that is affordable. We were very interested in either Ithaca, NY or Milford, CT, or Chapel Hill, NC.

I really want us to move into a neighborhood with a lot of families and where we are not having to drive far to get into some type of town center, and not being car from a larger city. We will not have family anywhere near us and don't want to be in a place where it is terribly hard to meet families like ourselves. Please help us find a solution! We will renting the first two years, and then hope to buy a house that is no more expensive than $200,000.

We just can't afford these places that we are interested in. We need more affordable options.

Please help us find our dream place.
Chapel Hill has not been an affordable option for at least 10 years. I too suggest the Greensboro area

Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 PM

3,399 posts, read 8,893,420 times
You won't find many homes for 200K in the Milford, CT area either. That's the same market as towns like Orange and Woodbridge and Westville.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:01 PM

2,871 posts, read 3,811,134 times
Chapel Hill is affordable compared to CT and most major cities. It is a beautiful progressive town with amenities.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:24 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,360,182 times
Waynesville, NC

Old 02-12-2008, 04:05 PM

45,270 posts, read 85,094,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Chapel Hill has not been an affordable option for at least 10 years. I too suggest the Greensboro area
But I contend it is not affordable by middle class standards, which she claims to be her situation. She wants to spend no more than $200,000 on a home - a diffiicult thing to do in Chapel Hill - though it's a great city if you can afford it

Old 02-13-2008, 10:19 AM

67 posts, read 178,467 times
Chapel Hill is not affordable unless you live on a professor's salary. And Orange County taxes are some of the highest in the state (0.95 per $100), I HIGHLY suggest NOT moving to Orange County. Mebane is an affordable spot just be careful as to which area of Mebane you look in as in go for the area of Mebane within Alamance County. Otherwise you are still stuck with our insane tax rate.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:56 AM

20 posts, read 73,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
Waynesville, NC
Sorry if this offends, Williboy, but Waynesville is disgusting. The paper mill stinks up the town, everything is old and run down, the development is CRAZY, and the people aren't the nicest in the world (generally very back-woods). The only good point about Waynesville IMO is that it's close to Asheville and to the Cataloochee ski area in Maggie Valley. I would say Sylva, NC might be a good option for you. A little farther from Asheville, but MUCH prettier and nicer than Waynesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or