U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 08:23 AM

1,454 posts, read 995,362 times

Advertisements

Spend a three day weekend in Charlotte and a three day weekend in the Triangle to try to get an idea of which city you like better. There are things on paper you might like, but until you come get a good feel for each city by walking around, anything will just be an opinion from folks on this board that is biased towards where they reside.

You might really like the Whitewater Center and rivers for kayaking in the Charlotte area, but you might prefer the traffic in Raleigh. You might like taking the light rail to work in Charlotte, or find you wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood in walking distance, etc.. The mountains may be closer to Charlotte, but maybe you decide you like the beach more near Raleigh, etc... Each area has pros and cons.

Last edited by CLT4; 06-19-2017 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,372,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Charlotte continues to be a lifeless city devoid of soul lol.

When will it become 3x the size of the Triangle?

A century from now...maybe?

I need to know!!!!!

So sad, pathetic and silly its actually funny!

Old 06-19-2017, 09:28 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,995,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Couple of questions.

I live in and am from northeast TN (about 45 minutes from NC line) and have been considering moving to either Charlotte, Nashville, or Raleigh over the next three to five years, barring any issues with job loss (company possibly going through merger) or the like. Before moving back to TN, I spent the last three years in an affluent suburb of Indianapolis and really enjoyed the suburbs, but a lot of the city proper was full of crime, roads were lousy, big lack of outdoor activities, etc.

I've spent some time in Nashville and it hasn't really gelled yet. Suburbs are nice but I've found downtown lacking (not into the honky tonk scene) and well below Indy's downtown. Traffic is an absolute mess. I'd rather be closer to the coast/mountains than the Midwest. I haven't crossed it off but it's coming close. Nashville also seems to be a good bit more expensive than either Charlotte or Raleigh. It's supposedly a health IT mecca but salaries have been low when I applied there a couple years back. I've not seen anything in Nashville that would make me choose it over going back to Indy besides weather, taxes, and proximity to family.

I haven't really spent any time in Charlotte or Raleigh other than passing through in the last five years. I work as an application analyst in a nonclinical role for a healthcare system, but have also worked as a systems analyst at a medium sized tech company (not a household name) and as a software administrator of core banking software at a small bank. Given how the tech company (vendor to some household financial names) and bank ran, I'd rather stay in healthcare or government.

Priorities are like this:

1) Good job market. I don't think this would be a problem in either one. I make about $60k, but am in a fairly depressed small town. If my current job is eliminated, it's unlikely I could find much of anything here, even at $40k. I'd want at least $70k just counting in the higher cost of living and NC taxes.

2) Cost of suburban living. I'm guessing this is a toss-up? I'd prefer to be in a fairly nice suburb. If you're familiar with Indianapolis, I lived in Carmel. I'd like something to be close to that. I would go into the city for an event or something after work, but was a 20 minute drive back home from downtown.

I'd probably be buying a condo or townhome, not renting. I plan to make this next move somewhere I can stay at least five years.

3) Dating scene. I'm 31 and not getting any younger. Would be looking to date somewhat younger, preferably professional with no kids. That's just unavailable here.

4) Access to outdoor stuff and recreational water. This was a big thing for me living in Indianapolis, where outdoor rec opportunities sucked, but back here, I'm too tied up between family obligations and an on-call rotation to get outside as much as I like. Without the family around, I'd probably get out more. I see Raleigh has some lakes, but a little worried about it compared to Charlotte.

Charlotte is a little closer to home and the mountains, Raleigh closer to the beach. Raleigh seems a tad more isolated.
I used to drive Walmart grocery freight out of a distribution center in Washington Court House, Ohio (near Dayton and Columbus). That job often took me into Indianpolis for deliveries at neighborhood market Walmart stores. In all honesty, Indy is probably the most comparable city to Charlotte in the US. You could trade in Carmel for Concord easily. If you end up with a downtown Charlotte job, within 6-9 months light rail will be running Northeast of Charlotte towards Concord. You'd be looking at a 15 min drive to the nearest light rail station from Concord, and then about a 20 min train ride into downtown.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:53 AM

23,354 posts, read 17,373,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I used to drive Walmart grocery freight out of a distribution center in Washington Court House, Ohio (near Dayton and Columbus). That job often took me into Indianpolis for deliveries at neighborhood market Walmart stores. In all honesty, Indy is probably the most comparable city to Charlotte in the US. You could trade in Carmel for Concord easily. If you end up with a downtown Charlotte job, within 6-9 months light rail will be running Northeast of Charlotte towards Concord. You'd be looking at a 15 min drive to the nearest light rail station from Concord, and then about a 20 min train ride into downtown.
I've heard that Indy and Charlotte are pretty comparable. Charlotte is closer to home, the mountains around Asheville (I spend a lot of time over there as it is), and Greenville, SC (spend a lot of time there too). I have a cousin who is from Charlotte but now lives in Orlando. Concord has only about half the median family income of Carmel.

I probably haven't been to Raleigh in at least five years. I really have no idea what it's like anymore. I've heard Raleigh is a little newer and cleaner, so to speak.

I may leave for Charlotte after work Friday. It's a little over three hours to get over there, and about five to Raleigh.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:08 AM

1,454 posts, read 995,362 times
Quote:
Concord has only about half the median family income of Carmel.
I honestly think the Ballantyne area of Charlotte is more similar to Carmel, IN than Concord. While Ballantyne is technically a neighborhood of Charlotte and not a separate municipality like Carmel, it is a very large neighborhood with a unique feel (more like a district). It is most of zip code 28277 (which includes some other neighborhoods).

Carmel: 79,000 people, $106,000 median household income, 69% have bachelor degree or higher, 16 miles from downtown Indy

28277 (largely Ballantyne area of Charlotte): 60,000 people, $98,000 median household income, 66% bachelor degree or higher, 16 miles from uptown Charlotte

Both have top ranked schools in their metro, large suburban office parks for large companies, abundant shopping/dining, etc...

Last edited by CLT4; 06-19-2017 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,995,686 times
Quote:
I've heard that Indy and Charlotte are pretty comparable. Charlotte is closer to home, the mountains around Asheville (I spend a lot of time over there as it is), and Greenville, SC (spend a lot of time there too). I have a cousin who is from Charlotte but now lives in Orlando. Concord has only about half the median family income of Carmel.

I probably haven't been to Raleigh in at least five years. I really have no idea what it's like anymore. I've heard Raleigh is a little newer and cleaner, so to speak.

I may leave for Charlotte after work Friday. It's a little over three hours to get over there, and about five to Raleigh.
If you go by median household income, then I'd say Ballantyne, Weddington, or Wesley Chapel would be similar. I was simply going by population and shopping when I stated Concord. Also, there are newer areas of Concord such as Afton Village that I think you might like. If not, then south Charlotte suburban areas would work for you.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM

2,840 posts, read 2,545,543 times
What is Charlotte, NC known for?

Charlotte is listed as a top 10 tourist state. From the center of uptown with food and entertainment to being the epicenter of NASCAR. Here are some of the top of my list in no specific order. NASCAR hall of fame, 3 types of race tracks dirty, drag ,and Charlotte motor speedway, white water center, Appalachian trail, Lake Norman, Old Mec brewery, Noda the arts distric. Then all the sports from college to the NFL. I moved here in 2010 from California and love it

https://www.quora.com/What-is-Charlotte-NC-known-for

Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM

21,880 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Couple of questions.

I live in and am from northeast TN (about 45 minutes from NC line) and have been considering moving to either Charlotte, Nashville, or Raleigh over the next three to five years, barring any issues with job loss (company possibly going through merger) or the like. Before moving back to TN, I spent the last three years in an affluent suburb of Indianapolis and really enjoyed the suburbs, but a lot of the city proper was full of crime, roads were lousy, big lack of outdoor activities, etc.

I've spent some time in Nashville and it hasn't really gelled yet. Suburbs are nice but I've found downtown lacking (not into the honky tonk scene) and well below Indy's downtown. Traffic is an absolute mess. I'd rather be closer to the coast/mountains than the Midwest. I haven't crossed it off but it's coming close. Nashville also seems to be a good bit more expensive than either Charlotte or Raleigh. It's supposedly a health IT mecca but salaries have been low when I applied there a couple years back. I've not seen anything in Nashville that would make me choose it over going back to Indy besides weather, taxes, and proximity to family.

I haven't really spent any time in Charlotte or Raleigh other than passing through in the last five years. I work as an application analyst in a nonclinical role for a healthcare system, but have also worked as a systems analyst at a medium sized tech company (not a household name) and as a software administrator of core banking software at a small bank. Given how the tech company (vendor to some household financial names) and bank ran, I'd rather stay in healthcare or government.

Priorities are like this:

1) Good job market. I don't think this would be a problem in either one. I make about $60k, but am in a fairly depressed small town. If my current job is eliminated, it's unlikely I could find much of anything here, even at $40k. I'd want at least $70k just counting in the higher cost of living and NC taxes.

2) Cost of suburban living. I'm guessing this is a toss-up? I'd prefer to be in a fairly nice suburb. If you're familiar with Indianapolis, I lived in Carmel. I'd like something to be close to that. I would go into the city for an event or something after work, but was a 20 minute drive back home from downtown.

I'd probably be buying a condo or townhome, not renting. I plan to make this next move somewhere I can stay at least five years.

3) Dating scene. I'm 31 and not getting any younger. Would be looking to date somewhat younger, preferably professional with no kids. That's just unavailable here.

4) Access to outdoor stuff and recreational water. This was a big thing for me living in Indianapolis, where outdoor rec opportunities sucked, but back here, I'm too tied up between family obligations and an on-call rotation to get outside as much as I like. Without the family around, I'd probably get out more. I see Raleigh has some lakes, but a little worried about it compared to Charlotte.

Charlotte is a little closer to home and the mountains, Raleigh closer to the beach. Raleigh seems a tad more isolated.
Your outdoor activities will skew west of Charlotte. Crowders Mountain & South Mountain state parks would be a start. If you want shiny & new & upscale, you don't want to live west of Charlotte.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 PM

2,840 posts, read 2,545,543 times
Symphony in the Park

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVgKGemFqQb/

Old 06-19-2017, 12:55 PM

21,880 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
So sad, pathetic and silly its actually funny!
+5

I was thinking sad, pathetic, & petty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina