U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 06:22 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,041,291 times

Advertisements

Who's going to pay for new stadium?

Old 07-12-2017, 06:26 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,996,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Who's going to pay for new stadium?
The taxpayers obviously. Every time Charlotte's leaders have agreed to a private meeting with sports executives, millions of $$$$$ are awarded.

City, county leaders to meet with soccer execs in private | Charlotte Observer

Old 07-12-2017, 06:52 PM

2,840 posts, read 2,546,291 times
Is Charlotte City Council willing to give soccer a second chance?
After months of indifference about helping fund a new Major League Soccer stadium in Elizabeth, council members Monday voted to send the proposal to the council’s economic development committee for its July 20 meeting – although no vote is expected to be taken then.
Their vote came after Mecklenburg commissioners indicated earlier this month they might pull their support for the stadium if the city doesn’t participate. The county informally gave the city until August to decide on the stadium.

The original deal called for the city to also spend $43.75 million. But former deputy city manager Ron Kimble, who is now working part time for the city, told council members Monday the city might now only contribute $30 million toward the $175 million stadium.

Read more here: Council to consider paying for soccer stadium in July | Charlotte Observer

Old 07-12-2017, 07:58 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,041,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Is Charlotte City Council willing to give soccer a second chance?
After months of indifference about helping fund a new Major League Soccer stadium in Elizabeth, council members Monday voted to send the proposal to the council’s economic development committee for its July 20 meeting – although no vote is expected to be taken then.
Their vote came after Mecklenburg commissioners indicated earlier this month they might pull their support for the stadium if the city doesn’t participate. The county informally gave the city until August to decide on the stadium.

The original deal called for the city to also spend $43.75 million. But former deputy city manager Ron Kimble, who is now working part time for the city, told council members Monday the city might now only contribute $30 million toward the $175 million stadium.

Read more here: Council to consider paying for soccer stadium in July | Charlotte Observer
Well we'll have to see what happens. Mr Malik has plans to pay the entire $150 million, without government help.

Going by the numbers you posted above. You're $14 million short.

Who knows what will happen. It certainly looks like your leaders are finally tightening up the purse strings a little. To the delight of many Charlotte taxpayers I'm sure.

Also to respond to a few earlier post. Raleigh/Wake Co isn't interested in light rail at this point. BRT is the way we're going. For good or bad the people have spoken. We don't want ridiculously high taxes. We'll leave that to you guys. As you all know my wife is from Charlotte. She compared her Meck. tax bill to her Wake tax bill. For the exact same vehicle. After she moved to Raleigh. Let's just say she was more than pleased with her new tax situation

https://smartasset.com/taxes/north-c...tor#P5PcGRD4T5

A quick example.
Meck. $250,000 Home
1.164/$2910

Wake.$250,000 Home
.861/$2153

A difference of $757 a year for the same house. Slightly of topic but the average salary is higher here to,but anyway.Add two cars,or go up in home price. More than likely a combination of the two. Either way we're talking serious money. No wonder your leaders are a little hesitant to jump in with both feet publicly.

Last edited by Atowwn; 07-12-2017 at 08:12 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 09:22 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,996,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Well we'll have to see what happens. Mr Malik has plans to pay the entire $150 million, without government help.

Going by the numbers you posted above. You're $14 million short.
Charlotte's bid is a $175 million stadium in an urban location that's 2 blocks away from streetcar stops. The $14 million deficit still puts Charlotte's bid $11 million higher than the Triangle's bid. Something tells me that Charlotte's deficit will be gone next week. That's usually what happens around here after a private sports meeting with elected officials.

Personally, I think Charlotte should back out and let Raleigh have a chance at getting MLS. MLB will expand into Charlotte within 15 years IF Charlotte doesn't have MLS.

If Charlotte doesn't back out; here's my thoughts on MLS. I don't believe that MLS will place a 3rd team in Florida, so Tampa is a non issue. San Diego (I think) would be a 3rd team in Southern California; I don't see that happening either. Cincinnati would be a 2nd team in Ohio; maybe some day but not during this expansion. St Louis would be a 2nd team in Missouri. Like Cincy, STL won't happen during this expansion. San Antonio would be the 3rd team in Texas; not happening during this expansion.

That leaves us with 7 real possibilities. Sacramento and Phoenix are in IMO; which would leave us with Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Indy, and Detroit to choose from. Detroit and Charlotte are the largest metros, largest GDPs, largest corporate centers, and largest TV markets out of the remaining 5.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:23 PM

351 posts, read 391,181 times
The first flat earth international conference will be held in Raleigh on November 9-10, featuring Rob Skiba, Jonathan Christopulos, and Bob Knodel.

Flat Earth International Conference 2017

Old 07-12-2017, 09:50 PM

57 posts, read 36,051 times
River District commercial uses could generate 5.6 billion in economic impact

A recently released report indicates the total economic impact of River District, a master-planned community pegged for a large swath of land in west Charlotte, could top $5 billion annually.

GAI Consultants Inc., an engineering, planning and environmental consulting firm, analyzed the proposed development program by Lincoln Harris and Crescent Communities, the co-developers of River District. It found that planned investment in office, retail and hotel could generate a yearly $5.6 billion in economic output, with more than 51,000 direct, indirect and induced jobs.

River District encompasses 1,380 acres of mostly wooded land between the Catawba River and Charlotte Douglas International Airport. Over three phases and 30 years, the Charlotte developers are planning to build 8 million square feet of office, 500,000 square feet of retail, 1,000 hotel rooms, 2,300 single-family homes and 2,550 multifamily units. About 550 acres of the site will be preserved.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:36 AM

MLS Expansion Update - May 2016

Charlotte, NC – North Carolina is one of the country's soccer hotbeds, with its top level youth teams, a slew of perennial college programs, and strong support for the sport as a whole, yet it is often overlooked. The USL’s Charlotte Independence has pulled no punches about their intentions to ascend to Major League Soccer. A renovation to the city’s Municipal Stadium is in being considered and studies are ongoing to establish if the city can support an additional professional sports team. To me, it is a no-brainer. The city’s downtown has a thriving financial district and an ever growing populous. I emphatically stated this before and I’ll say it again… The Carolinas should have an MLS team.
Current Expansion Status: Looking more and more unlikely.

Raleigh, NC - The Carolina Railhawks are one of the premiere teams in the NASL. They have a beautiful soccer specific stadium with a capacity of around 10,000. A move up to MLS sounds great on paper, and while I believe the Carolinas deserve a team, I’d give the nod to Charlotte first and foremost.
Current Expansion Status: Keep dreaming.

Champions Cup Soccer Returns to Charlotte
It will mark the third consecutive year the International Champions Cup will come to Charlotte after two successful matches that each drew more than 60,000 fans. In 2014, Liverpool F.C. defeated A.C. Milan 2-0. Last year, Chelsea beat Paris Saint-Germain in penalty kicks in a rematch of the Round of 16 in Champions League.

Will not return in 2017 because of HB2

http://www.panthers.com/news/article...0-9bfb8540d748

Last edited by CLT1985; 07-13-2017 at 06:04 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 06:22 AM

199 posts, read 151,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post

Raleigh, NC - The Carolina Railhawks are one of the premiere teams in the NASL. They have a beautiful soccer specific stadium with a capacity of around 10,000. A move up to MLS sounds great on paper, and while I believe the Carolinas deserve a team, I’d give the nod to Charlotte first and foremost.
Current Expansion Status: Keep dreaming.
Being as this is over a year old, it's okay, but I want to point out that this doesn't mention the rebranding of the Railhawks to NCFC and a huge marketing push for their MLS bid.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Being as this is over a year old, it's okay, but I want to point out that this doesn't mention the rebranding of the Railhawks to NCFC and a huge marketing push for their MLS bid.

Raleigh is the smallest city looking for a MLS team. The MLS league is looking at only large cities from what I have read. We will see when the 4 teams are announce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina