U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 09:10 AM

29,945 posts, read 27,415,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I used municipality because it includes all forms of incorporated locations. You know where I used to live & the township business happened at the municipal building. It's only technical if you want to say that it is.
No, the very definition of the term makes it technical. A municipality is a legally incorporated place (town, township, city, etc.). It doesn't get any more technical than that.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 AM

21,996 posts, read 27,299,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, the very definition of the term makes it technical. A municipality is a legally incorporated place (town, township, city, etc.). It doesn't get any more technical than that.
And when the municipality whose name is on a metro makes the laws that govern all of the municipalities in the metro & taxes them, then they are part of the city. That's what I'm saying, & have been saying that all along.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
And when the municipality whose name is on a metro makes the laws that govern all of the municipalities in the metro & taxes them, then they are part of the city. That's what I'm saying, & have been saying that all along.
The nuances of language seem to be lost on you.

Words evolve and take on new meaning over time; certain words can also have more of a localized usage (e.g., "the city" referring primarily to Manhattan in the Tri-State area as opposed to all five boroughs of NYC). This is what has happened in the way the term "city" is commonly used.

You kinda remind me of the guy in the General U.S./City vs. City forum who continues to insist that Baltimore is Southern based strictly on the U.S. Census definition of the South. Practically nobody agrees with him but he's stuck on a textbook definition that was crafted a long time ago.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The nuances of language seem to be lost on you.

Words evolve and take on new meaning over time; certain words can also have more of a localized usage (e.g., "the city" referring primarily to Manhattan in the Tri-State area as opposed to all five boroughs of NYC). This is what has happened in the way the term "city" is commonly used.

You kinda remind me of the guy in the General U.S./City vs. City forum who continues to insist that Baltimore is Southern based strictly on the U.S. Census definition of the South. Practically nobody agrees with him but he's stuck on a textbook definition that was crafted a long time ago.
In real life I don't know a single person who thinks that city & metro are interchangeable.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:29 PM

2,875 posts, read 2,570,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Like Charlotte hijacks Concords NASCAR Nice try though lol
Bruton Smith owns the Charlotte Motor Speed Way, and he can name it anything he wants. He lives in Charlotte and the speedway is less than a 1/2 a mile away from Charlotte's city limits. The city of Charlotte had nothing to do with the naming of the speedway.

SMI), which owns eight NASCAR tracks that host twelve NASCAR Sprint Cup events. Speedway Motorsports owns Charlotte Motor Speedway, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Bristol Motor Speedway, Sonoma Raceway, Kentucky Speedway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, New Hampshire Motor Speedway, and Texas Motor Speedway.

Atlanta Motor Speedway is 20 miles away from Atlanta, in Hampton Ga.

Bruton Smith - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruton_Smith

Last edited by CLT1985; 07-21-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
In real life I don't know a single person who thinks that city & metro are interchangeable.
I honestly don't know how else to explain this to you. I don't know if you're being a contrarian or if you really don't quite understand how this works.

No one is saying that city and metro are interchangeable. However, in regular, everyday talk, "city" may oftentimes be referring to "metro"...not necessarily MSA (which includes some far-flung rural areas), but a city and its surrounding suburbs. A person may speak of visiting malls in Charlotte and those malls may include Carolina Place in Pineville or Concord Mills in Concord, for instance. Or consider the fact that there are lots of people who don't live in the actual municipality of Charlotte that have a Charlotte address. Or as mentioned above, the fact that Charlotte Motor Speedway is in Concord. Have you written letters to Bruton Smith telling him that the speedway is actually in Concord? Have you told the owners of the Philadelphia Country Club that the club isn't actually in Philadelphia? How about telling the appropriate authorities that the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport isn't in Washington? I mean we could do this all day.

I mean this stuff is pretty intuitive. A city's name can legitimately reference both the actual municipality and the greater metropolitan area and in many, if not most, cases, people are referencing the larger area and not just the municipal boundaries.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-21-2017 at 01:02 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 01:17 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,315,891 times
When I talk about different cities, I generally refer to the metro as the city. Hence I say Atlanta is bigger than Charlotte.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
When I talk about different cities, I generally refer to the metro as the city. Hence I say Atlanta is bigger than Charlotte.
Right; that's how most people commonly speak. These days, metro is pretty much the default when we mention a city by name and we have to specify if we're talking about the city proper/incorporated municipality. That's why if you were to say "Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta" in the course of general conversation, 95% of people would look at you like you were crazy. Only us urban nerds would know that this is only true when talking about city proper because most people think in terms of the city and surrounding areas.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:32 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,315,891 times
Quote:

I never tell people I'm from Huntersville. I say Charlotte... Unless I'm speaking to people in the metro, I say Charlotte.

I say my step family lives in Raleigh. They live in Fuquay. My friend lives in a town outside Greensboro. I say he lives in Greensboro. When I talk to my friends in Pineville... I tell them I live in Huntersville. Heck, even within Charlotte, I would be specific like "Northlake" or "University"

Old 07-21-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't know how else to explain this to you. I don't know if you're being a contrarian or if you really don't quite understand how this works.

No one is saying that city and metro are interchangeable. However, in regular, everyday talk, "city" may oftentimes be referring to "metro"...not necessarily MSA (which includes some far-flung rural areas), but a city and its surrounding suburbs. A person may speak of visiting malls in Charlotte and those malls may include Carolina Place in Pineville or Concord Mills in Concord, for instance. Or consider the fact that there are lots of people who don't live in the actual municipality of Charlotte that have a Charlotte address. Or as mentioned above, the fact that Charlotte Motor Speedway is in Concord. Have you written letters to Bruton Smith telling him that the speedway is actually in Concord? Have you told the owners of the Philadelphia Country Club that the club isn't actually in Philadelphia? How about telling the appropriate authorities that the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport isn't in Washington? I mean we could do this all day.

I mean this stuff is pretty intuitive. A city's name can legitimately reference both the actual municipality and the greater metropolitan area and in many, if not most, cases, people are referencing the larger area and not just the municipal boundaries.
I don't give a rat's patoot what Bruton Smith calls his race track. It's close enough to Charlotte which is widely known. How many more people can identify Concord's location? It's the other way around. Plenty of businesses use the name of another municipality if the other municipality is better known, as long as it's nearby. On the other hand, years ago, the Flyers were in hard negotiations with the Spectrum & an outfit offered to build them a facility on the waterfront in Camden. When they started talks, the city government told them that if they did it, they couldn't use Philadelphia, they could use Camden. That killed that immediately. You must think that I'm pretty stupid to use that airport example. Do you also think that I think that BWI is in 2 municipalities?

I addressed a poster who was talking down to people who don't use his terminology. According to your explanation, using the city name without adding metro is done by people who are so lazy that they just can't expend the energy to say metro, or in this case, write it. I just thought that it reflected poorly on the schools.

This is yet another Raleigh vs Charlotte thread. As usual it started out city vs city. Then the same troup started to interject metro as always in these threads. It gets tiresome when people think it's a good idea to cast aspersions on others who are talking about something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina