U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 03:03 PM

21,967 posts, read 27,252,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I never tell people I'm from Huntersville. I say Charlotte... Unless I'm speaking to people in the metro, I say Charlotte.

I say my step family lives in Raleigh. They live in Fuquay. My friend lives in a town outside Greensboro. I say he lives in Greensboro. When I talk to my friends in Pineville... I tell them I live in Huntersville. Heck, even within Charlotte, I would be specific like "Northlake" or "University"
I used to tell people that I lived near Philadelphia until the township where I lived became better known.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:36 PM

29,904 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't give a rat's patoot what Bruton Smith calls his race track. It's close enough to Charlotte which is widely known. How many more people can identify Concord's location? It's the other way around. Plenty of businesses use the name of another municipality if the other municipality is better known, as long as it's nearby. On the other hand, years ago, the Flyers were in hard negotiations with the Spectrum & an outfit offered to build them a facility on the waterfront in Camden. When they started talks, the city government told them that if they did it, they couldn't use Philadelphia, they could use Camden. That killed that immediately. You must think that I'm pretty stupid to use that airport example. Do you also think that I think that BWI is in 2 municipalities?

I addressed a poster who was talking down to people who don't use his terminology. According to your explanation, using the city name without adding metro is done by people who are so lazy that they just can't expend the energy to say metro, or in this case, write it. I just thought that it reflected poorly on the schools.

This is yet another Raleigh vs Charlotte thread. As usual it started out city vs city. Then the same troup started to interject metro as always in these threads. It gets tiresome when people think it's a good idea to cast aspersions on others who are talking about something else.
I never accused anyone of laziness; if anything, it seems that it is you who would call someone lazy because they won't specifically say "metro" or "city" although the context of the discission would make it pretty obvious.

Again, the name of a city can legitimately refer to both the municipality as well as the larger metropolitan area (there are a few exceptions, which are metros that have their own names: Chicagoland, the Metroplex, Bay Area, etc.). Words evolve in their usage over time; that's the natural function of language. I don't know why you find that so problematic.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-21-2017 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I never accused anyone of laziness; if anything, it seems that it is you who would call someone lazy because they won't specifically say "metro" or "city" although the context of the discission would make it pretty obvious.

Again, the name of a city can legitimately refer to both the municipality as well as the larger metropolitan area. Words evolve in their usage over time; that's the natural function of language. I don't know why you find that so problematic.
This thread start out about the city of Raleigh & the city of Charlotte. I was involved early in the thread. I stayed out when it was hijackedto be loosey-goosey city/metro as the spirit struck people, until a poster called someone an idiot who was sticking to the original theme. I pointed out a case where there was an obvious difference. You have been sticking up for his side & used insulting examples to teach me your little lesson.

Using a metro is foolish, in my opinion because a metro can be broken up by the feds as easily as they make it. I used Raleigh Durham as an example. I've seen posters from Atlanta go on the Philadelphia board & compare their metro to the city of Philadelphia. That goes over really well. People try to compare the entire Triangle to the city of Charlotte. I don't see you taking them on. No, it's fine with you for them to do whatever loosey-goosey thing makes them feel important. But you'll give me ridiculous examples to try to insinuate that I'm the moron. This thread was originally about 2 municipalities.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:33 PM

2,871 posts, read 2,564,371 times
When the Federal Govt. is dealing with most LRT systems in the USA is with cities transit systems. So cities do have a place as well as metros.

There are layers of coverage in Charlotte from Center city to Charlotte Region.

In Charlotte we have the following.
Charlotte Center city Partners
Charlotte Center City Partners - Charlotte Center City Partners

Charlotte Chamber of Commerce

https://charlottechamber.com/

Mecklenburg Count
y
https://www.mecknc.gov/Pages/Home.aspx

Charlotte Region Partnership
Charlotte USA - Charlotte Region - Charlotte USA, Fortune 500, Business, NC, SC | Charlotte Regional Partnership

More people come into Charlotte & Mecklenburg County to work, that people leaving to work in other counties.

No city stands alone,

Last edited by CLT1985; 07-21-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 03:39 AM

3,465 posts, read 3,148,798 times
There really is no comparison city v city with respect to Raleigh vs Charlotte. Charlotte is much larger in many aspects, more urban, vibrant, etc. Though Raleigh is starting to make some waves. Biased but in my opinion the city that's transforming the most in NC is downtown Durham. If you haven't been there in a while you might be in for a shock. It's a diverse booming version of Asheville...the restaurant scene is really taking off.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:52 AM

2,871 posts, read 2,564,371 times
Raleigh and Durham are now taking an active interest their down towns. The RTP did them no favors by being the place to be in the Triangle. Charlotte never had to compete with something like RTP.

It will be interesting to see Raleigh and Durham in 30 years and see what progress they have made. The RTP will build out and maybe that is what will be good for Raleigh & Durham.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:57 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,799,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
There really is no comparison city v city with respect to Raleigh vs Charlotte. Charlotte is much larger in many aspects, more urban, vibrant, etc. Though Raleigh is starting to make some waves. Biased but in my opinion the city that's transforming the most in NC is downtown Durham. If you haven't been there in a while you might be in for a shock. It's a diverse booming version of Asheville...the restaurant scene is really taking off.
I found this comparison interesting, especially the diverse part. Asheville, due to its location and quirky vibe, draws a lot of attention. Is that also happenning in downtown Durham?

Old 07-22-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
This thread start out about the city of Raleigh & the city of Charlotte. I was involved early in the thread. I stayed out when it was hijackedto be loosey-goosey city/metro as the spirit struck people, until a poster called someone an idiot who was sticking to the original theme. I pointed out a case where there was an obvious difference. You have been sticking up for his side & used insulting examples to teach me your little lesson.

Using a metro is foolish, in my opinion because a metro can be broken up by the feds as easily as they make it. I used Raleigh Durham as an example. I've seen posters from Atlanta go on the Philadelphia board & compare their metro to the city of Philadelphia. That goes over really well. People try to compare the entire Triangle to the city of Charlotte. I don't see you taking them on. No, it's fine with you for them to do whatever loosey-goosey thing makes them feel important. But you'll give me ridiculous examples to try to insinuate that I'm the moron. This thread was originally about 2 municipalities.
It's extremely hard to compare two municipalities in any real sense without taking their metros into account. I'm not taking anyone's side here and I'm not approving of any name-calling.

How are my examples insulting, simply because they don't conform to the rather narrow view you have of cities in a practical sense? The fact that you consider that insulting merely proves my point.

And Raleigh and Durham are still part of the same "metro" as both MSAs and CSAs are versions of metropolitan areas (labor markets) but just with different commuting thresholds. And I seriously doubt anybody is comparing the city of Philly with Atlanta's metro; even so, that's completely irrelevant to the discussion we're having here.

You also seem to have trouble understanding the fact that the feds don't create metropolitan areas; they merely quantify them. Metropolitan areas are labor markets created by economic, commuting, and housing trends within urban areas. That doesn't change due to changes in how the feds quantify or designate metropolitan areas.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's extremely hard to compare two municipalities in any real sense without taking their metros into account. I'm not taking anyone's side here and I'm not approving of any name-calling.

How are my examples insulting, simply because they don't conform to the rather narrow view you have of cities in a practical sense? The fact that you consider that insulting merely proves my point.

And Raleigh and Durham are still part of the same "metro" as both MSAs and CSAs are versions of metropolitan areas (labor markets) but just with different commuting thresholds. And I seriously doubt anybody is comparing the city of Philly with Atlanta's metro; even so, that's completely irrelevant to the discussion we're having here.

You also seem to have trouble understanding the fact that the feds don't create metropolitan areas; they merely quantify them. Metropolitan areas are labor markets created by economic, commuting, and housing trends within urban areas. That doesn't change due to changes in how the feds quantify or designate metropolitan areas.
Try asking me if I write letters about the name of the track in Concord, & Reagan airport, etc. I told you that it was insulting & asked you if you think that I'm stupid enough to think that BWI is located in 2 cities. If you didn't pick up on that, I can't help you.

Every 10 years the feds designate the MSAs. They are based on commuting. Even the yo-yos running my county know it. They've been trying to keep the county out of the Charlotte MSA by burying jobs at an inconvenient location for people in western Lincoln & Gaston counties, because it's inflow as well as outflow.

In this thread alone posters have called out other posters for comparing amenities in Raleigh & Durham to amenities in the city of Charlotte. That's the sort of thing that l call loosey-goosey. I trust that you know what that means.

I know what an MSA is & I know what a CSA is. They are not the same as a city. It's a conglomeration of incorporated locations &, potentially, unincorporated locations with ties to a city, or sometimes 2 or 3 cities. When the feds designate the counties, they are set in stone for the next 10 years, & only 10 years. After the 2020 census, as of now, the feds have to decide what happens with Catawba County. There's interaction with Iredell, Lincoln, & even Mecklenburg, in the MSA, that I know of.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Try asking me if I write letters about the name of the track in Concord, & Reagan airport, etc. I told you that it was insulting & asked you if you think that I'm stupid enough to think that BWI is located in 2 cities. If you didn't pick up on that, I can't help you.

Every 10 years the feds designate the MSAs. They are based on commuting. Even the yo-yos running my county know it. They've been trying to keep the county out of the Charlotte MSA by burying jobs at an inconvenient location for people in western Lincoln & Gaston counties, because it's inflow as well as outflow.

In this thread alone posters have called out other posters for comparing amenities in Raleigh & Durham to amenities in the city of Charlotte. That's the sort of thing that l call loosey-goosey. I trust that you know what that means.

I know what an MSA is & I know what a CSA is. They are not the same as a city. It's a conglomeration of incorporated locations &, potentially, unincorporated locations with ties to a city, or sometimes 2 or 3 cities. When the feds designate the counties, they are set in stone for the next 10 years, & only 10 years. After the 2020 census, as of now, the feds have to decide what happens with Catawba County. There's interaction with Iredell, Lincoln, & even Mecklenburg, in the MSA, that I know of.
Metropolitan areas would exist even if there were no such things as MSAs and CSAs; that's actually irrelevant to the point being made. For the umpteenth time, language is flexible and words evolve in their meaning. Whether you like it or not, "city" has come to mean a central municipality and its surrounding suburbs or even more than one primary munipality within a singular metropolitan area. Too bad you have a problem with it but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina