U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 05:06 PM

666 posts, read 579,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I kinda figured one of you would say that. On paper,is all we could have at this point. Also if you know anything about Mr Goodman and Mr Kane. They don't attach themselves to wild goose chases. The stadium site I'd bet is a lot more solid than anyone really knows,publicly at this point. Frankly I've never seen Kane's name on a project that didn't happen. I can tell you a lot of people that didn't take the MLS bid seriously. Stood up and took notice when the saw Mr Kane's name mentioned as a partner.

Face it Raleighs bid is stronger. It's ok,neither may eventually get a team who know. Oh did I forget to mention no request for public money,almost forgot.

It seems as after every announcement one bid gets stronger and one doesn't,just saying.
It's not like the Smith family is a bunch of nobodies, They run a sports company that brings in 600 or so million dollars a year along with a fortune 500 auto dealership. What's not known is how much they really want a franchise, if they are willing to put their money where their mouth is but I do know that since Marcus had taken the reins he's made efforts to diversify their business like staging the VT vs. Tenn game last year & bidding on the X games. The Triangle bid is contingent on state level support & we both know how easy that is

Last edited by js4life; 07-26-2017 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,028,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I kinda figured one of you would say that. On paper,is all we could have at this point. Also if you know anything about Mr Goodman and Mr Kane. They don't attach themselves to wild goose chases. The stadium site I'd bet is a lot more solid than anyone really knows,publicly at this point. Frankly I've never seen Kane's name on a project that didn't happen. I can tell you a lot of people that didn't take the MLS bid seriously. Stood up and took notice when the saw Mr Kane's name mentioned as a partner.

Face it Raleighs bid is stronger. It's ok,neither may eventually get a team who know. Oh did I forget to mention no request for public money,almost forgot.

It seems as after every announcement one bid gets stronger and one doesn't,just saying.
Commuter rail, CIAA headquarters/Hall of Fame, Soleil Center, and The Edison.....Yeah, you might want to wait before popping champagne.

Personally, I think Raleigh has a better bid. However, Raleigh is up against 5 superior bids from other cities (and those cities support the pro-teams that they already have). I'd seriously leave this MLS mess alone until an actual announcement takes place. In the south, Nashville is the frontrunner anyway.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:02 PM

3,816 posts, read 3,311,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Raleigh may be to sophisticated for you to understand. Keep it moving.
Please. I've been all over the US, Brasil & Europe. Whatever that's supposed to mean. Some people really think Charlotte and Raleigh are the center of the universe like Metro.M. Raleigh is "too sophisticated" for me, lol. I have a compliment to Raleigh hoping they get MLS or a zoo to give me motivation to enjoy what makes Raleigh great. I even think NCFC bid is by far superior and I find it more exciting than CLT's.

But you're so sensitive about Raleigh. It's alright. Raleigh can still be great without being so sophisticated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Let's be real; Charlotte is nobody's tourist paradise either. I agree 100% with the common refrain that Charlotte is a much better city to live in than visit. The amenities in Charlotte that you say you prefer are as a resident; with the exception of Carowinds, it's not like they have broad appeal among tourists in general.

Neither are for tourist. Atlanta isn't neither. Not Dallas. Nor Houston. But they have things that draw regional tourism or day trips. I've went to Atlanta purely for the aquarium and the zoo and enjoyed other things in Atlanta I otherwise wouldn't have went at all for. Houston has NASA. Etc. Dallas has the Cowboys.

I'm saying both have things that are great for locals. And MLS and a zoo for me would be a draw to go to Raleigh and enjoy the other things that make Raleigh, I imagine, great. I want to visit, I just need MLS or a zoo there to drag my butt out there.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:22 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,310,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Please. I've been all over the US, Brasil & Europe. Whatever that's supposed to mean. Some people really think Charlotte and Raleigh are the center of the universe like Metro.M. Raleigh is "too sophisticated" for me, lol. I have a compliment to Raleigh hoping they get MLS or a zoo to give me motivation to enjoy what makes Raleigh great. I even think NCFC bid is by far superior and I find it more exciting than CLT's.

But you're so sensitive about Raleigh. It's alright. Raleigh can still be great without being so sophisticated.

Neither are for tourist. Atlanta isn't neither. Not Dallas. Nor Houston. But they have things that draw regional tourism or day trips. I've went to Atlanta purely for the aquarium and the zoo and enjoyed other things in Atlanta I otherwise wouldn't have went at all for. Houston has NASA. Etc. Dallas has the Cowboys.

I'm saying both have things that are great for locals. And MLS and a zoo for me would be a draw to go to Raleigh and enjoy the other things that make Raleigh, I imagine, great. I want to visit, I just need MLS or a zoo there to drag my butt out there.

Please. You're post has animosity written all over it. If you don't like Raleigh fine. Keep it moving. Posting these long replies about why you dislike another thriving city just shows immense jealousy. Raleighites haven't done anything wrong to you.

I find it entertaining however...lol

Old 07-26-2017, 08:10 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,152,457 times
Quote:

You got that right...only a handful of American cities have enough history, attractions, etc to keep interest beyond a day or so. I think I've been to 'em all as a technical trainer, hit all the tourist traps, etc. Otherwise it's the usual watering hole, party, etc.. scene. Both Raleigh and Charlotte fit the ho-hum tourist attraction city list but have decent shopping, restaurants, bars, etc. Charlotte definitely has a higher concentration of attractions and vibrant center city....RDU is so spread out.

I don't think anyone visits booming sunbelt metros to bask in loads of history or architecture....but drinking, eating, etc....definitely got that which is more than good enough for most people because after a snapshot or two of Dealey Plaza, MLK home, etc...well, it's time for a drink and something to eat then ok, where's the mall? Atlanta was always one of my favs, big southern city and didn't have to worry about somebody dragging me around town to locate some old ass meaningless landmark. But hey, its the sunbelt.... bars, food, shopping restaurants..and sweet tea.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:17 AM

3,816 posts, read 3,311,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Please. You're post has animosity written all over it. If you don't like Raleigh fine. Keep it moving. Posting these long replies about why you dislike another thriving city just shows immense jealousy. Raleighites haven't done anything wrong to you.

I find it entertaining however...lol

I finding it entertaining you're being so delusional thinking their is hidden animosity and I have no clue how you came to the conclusion that I dislike Raleigh?

And you're being so bombastic and Trumpian "what has Raleigh done to you" and "immense jealousy."

I don't think Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta or Raleigh attracts any tourist beyond regional visitors in a significant way. I would never choose Dallas or Houston for a vacation. I like to visit and would enjoy some things but it's too far for me to be worth it and not worth a flight versus other places. Raleigh is close enough, MLS would be absolutely worth me going and making it a day or weekend trip enjoying the restaraunt scene and Raleigh in general. Atlanta is not worth me going for MLS and NCFC would feel like a hometown team for me as opposed to Atlanta.

If you think that's dislike, hate, jealousy, snark. You got your head too far up sir Walters butt.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:47 AM

3,118 posts, read 4,150,461 times
But DC is the quintessence tourist attraction. Baltimore is less so, but actually has a lot to see.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:13 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Tourism is a very subjective topic in general. Most people think of Savannah and Charleston when it comes to tourism. In reality, cities/metros such as Columbus, Cincinnati, Indy, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, and Minneapolis have far greater visitor appeal than historic small towns like the aforementioned two.
From a leisure standpoint, I strongly disagree. There's a reason why Charleston and Savannah continually rank towards the top on lists from publications geared towards tourists like Travel + Leisure and Conde Nast Traveler. Now if you're including things like conventions and large gatherings when you say "visitor appeal," then that's different.

Quote:
Here on the forums, there seems to be this weird bias when it comes to the word tourism. This is why I love the visitor spending stat so much. Visitor spending takes away the subjective nonsense and gets to the bottomline.

On the world class stage, Charlotte and Raleigh are not high on anyone's visitor list. At the regional level, Charlotte pulls a lot more people (from greater distances) than Raleigh. Also, Charlotte attracts a greater number of big events and big conventions than Raleigh. Big events and conventions are what helps the visitor stats of cities like Nashville and New Orleans.

When you look at visitor spending, metro Charlotte is actually on par with metro Denver, metro Nashville, and metro New Orleans. All 3 of these metros are in the $6-8 billion visitor spending range. The Triangle has less than $4 billion in total visitor spending (and has more people than metro NO and Nashville). Furthermore, that 3-point-something billion in the Triangle is split between 3 cities; which leaves Raleigh with only $2 billion by itself. Nashville alone has $5.7 billion. Charlotte has $5 billion. NO has over $7 billion.

Nothing against Raleigh, but placing Raleigh and Charlotte in the same tourism category is not accurate.
Even metrics like visitor spending and who counts as a tourist are subjective and different cities calculate these things different ways. When it comes to visitor spending, some local CVB's measure direct visitor spending whereas others take a broader view and look at overall economic impact.

In terms of leisure tourism, both Charlotte and Raleigh are in the same tourism category in that they are mainly regional players with Charlotte having an upper hand due to a more centralized location and being the bigger city. But truthfully, there really are only a handful of cities in America that are popular year-round leisure destinations.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:17 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
I agree; aside from conventions, sports, and special large events, all of those cities tend to excel in being extended weekend-type destinations. When it comes to leisure tourism in the South, Miami and New Orleans stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 AM

57 posts, read 36,333 times
Raleigh certainly could use MLS more than Charlotte. Their sports culture is quite sad in comparison. Though if the Canes are any indication... can locals even show up enough to support another professional team long term?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina