U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 11:26 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,995,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellu91 View Post
Raleigh certainly could use MLS more than Charlotte. Their sports culture is quite sad in comparison. Though if the Canes are any indication... can locals even show up enough to support another professional team long term?
What people fail to mention is that Canes' attendance was 21st in the NHL the year they won the championship. That says a lot.

2005-2006 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

Old 07-27-2017, 12:30 PM

661 posts, read 574,928 times
The Triangle is predominantly a college sports area but using the NHL as a barometer is unfair. If you don't win or have star players to draw people in attendance usually suffers. MLS would work in either IMO

Old 07-27-2017, 01:08 PM

57 posts, read 36,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
The Triangle is predominantly a college sports area but using the NHL as a barometer is unfair. If you don't win or have star players to draw people in attendance usually suffers. MLS would work in either IMO
North Carolina (and sports fans in general) certainly love the basketball rivalry between Duke and UNC. Those schools don't really have great sports programs outside of Basketball. There's Lacrosse I suppose, and UNC football has been better in recent years. N.C. State is a distant afterthought.

As the poster above mentioned, the year the Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup, they finished 21st in attendance. The year after they won the championship, they finished 20th. Not even in the top half of NHL attendance the year you win the championship, or after, is pretty sad.

NCFC is 4/8 in attendance in the NASL, with a -12.5% difference since last season.

Raleigh might have a purty lookin picture of the stadium they'd like, and their bid is somewhat less uncertain than Charlotte's, though not without flaws that could make things more difficult going forward.
Raleigh's plan calls for sports arena, but on southern end of downtwon | News & Observer

There's nothing to really indicate Raleigh could actually support another professional team.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:29 PM

199 posts, read 150,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
What people fail to mention is that Canes' attendance was 21st in the NHL the year they won the championship. That says a lot.

2005-2006 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

https://youtu.be/tVyi9aJXaVI?t=2m16s

Old 07-27-2017, 01:52 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,995,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
https://youtu.be/kKQV9bEcV28

Old 07-27-2017, 02:07 PM

57 posts, read 36,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post

Filling an arena during game 7 of the Stanley Cup sure is impressive.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:13 PM

199 posts, read 150,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Okay? What does that have to do with anything? Some of y'all try to act like the Canes don't have any fans. Saying the attendance was 21st the year they won makes it seem like no one cares. So I posted a video showing how stoked the crowd was in a packed RBC center when they won. They were 15th in attendance the following year.

It's no secret that the attendance has been slipping steadily after the 2012-2013 season (their highest average at 17,558). But if anyone can understand the pain of year after year of losing seasons and what that can do to attendance it should be fans of the Charlotte Bobcats. I'm a huge fan of all NC pro teams so it pains me to say that no one cared about the Bobcats. For someone to bash Raleigh and the Canes while ignoring Charlotte basketball in the 2000s is just unfair. I'm really happy the Hornets are back and they were able to turn things around, but that should be an indicator that the Canes can do the same thing.

Last edited by thebermudatriad; 07-27-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 02:23 PM

2,840 posts, read 2,545,543 times
The pressure is on the Canes to perform this coming year. Not only for the team, but the fans. Another year like the last season would not be good for the team or Raleigh. People better get out and support their team or lose it.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 PM

29,737 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
But DC is the quintessence tourist attraction.
I'd give that honor to New York City. Even in DC, a bunch of tourists never really venture beyond the Mall believe it or not and DC's downtown isn't really all that exciting and engaging. The real action is in the surrounding neighborhoods and most visitors aren't as familiar with them.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:16 PM

3,750 posts, read 3,267,604 times
It is surprising to me how fast center city development has rocketed off after the recession. I thought we'd never see anymore highrises in a long time but this round has been much stronger than even 2008.

I don't foresee any other NC center city coming close to present day Charlotte's size in a very long time (before Metro.M cries I'm attacking people of Raleigh, or jabbing or whatever or saying bigger is better. Just speaking from someone who likes urban development)

This link to a picture shows how uptown has been expanding East and West instead of just North and South along Tryon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dickjo...-UM4Hmk-UsGJX3

Flickr in general has lots of new pictures of Charlotte that shows how vibrant the city has become even compared to it's 2012 self. I wish I could post pictures but I don't have a helicopter and it's against forum rules, so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina