U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 08:51 PM

6,270 posts, read 10,000,759 times

Advertisements

CAROLINAS HEALTHCARE
Number of hospitals: 40
2016 revenue: $9.8 billion
2016 employees: 65,000
Headquarters: Charlotte

UNC HEALTH CARE
Number of hospitals: 12
2016 revenue: $3.6 billion
2016 employees: 30,000
Headquarters: Chapel Hill

Carolinas HealthCare Merging With UNC To Form One Of The Largest Medical Giants In America - Charlotte Stories

And THIS proud Charlottean will be the CEO of the combined company.......

Looks like Duke/Progress 2.0 to me.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:16 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,548,380 times
Levine Children's Hospital
https://www.carolinashealthcare.org/...drens-Hospital

Carolinas Medical Center
https://www.carolinashealthcare.org/...Medical-Center

https://www.carolinashealthcare.org/about-us

CMC is no second rate hospital by any means.

Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center, a Charlotte hospital
https://www.novanthealth.org/presbyt...al-center.aspx

I have been to Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center and had very good care.

Last edited by CLT1985; 11-13-2017 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-13-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
This i agree with. Supposedly one of the main forcuses for this new joint effort between CMC and UNC is to help more rural poor areas. I hope thats true though I'm skeptical.
CNC covers all the way to Wilmington, South Port, Ocean Isle and Jacksonvill, and Mount Pleasant, SC.
It cover the Cities and towns in up state South Carolina and the southwest part of North Carolina.
It goes as far north as Lenoir and Reidsville, NC and west to COLUMBUS, NC. and city and town on I 40 west of Hickory. CMC covers a lot of small towns.

https://www.carolinashealthcare.org/...ce%20ascending

Old 11-13-2017, 08:49 PM

If you are not from Charlotte, you will not understand CMC and UNC join venture.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:37 PM

922 posts, read 491,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
If you are not from Charlotte, you will not understand CMC and UNC join venture.
LOL and why is that? You know it all right? and yet it literally is a quote in the press release that hopefully one of the benefits to this partnership is better health care for rural areas...

Old 11-13-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
CAROLINAS HEALTHCARE
Number of hospitals: 40
2016 revenue: $9.8 billion
2016 employees: 65,000
Headquarters: Charlotte

UNC HEALTH CARE
Number of hospitals: 12
2016 revenue: $3.6 billion
2016 employees: 30,000
Headquarters: Chapel Hill

Carolinas HealthCare Merging With UNC To Form One Of The Largest Medical Giants In America - Charlotte Stories

And THIS proud Charlottean will be the CEO of the combined company.......

Looks like Duke/Progress 2.0 to me.
Then you suffer from basic english comprehension my friend. Never once in the article you posted does it say CMC is buying UNC. You know why that is?? Because they're not. Duke energy bought Progress for 13.7B i think. Not whats happening here.

And the CMC Ceo moving into the CEO position for the new joint effort company means that likely he was a little more qualified or more willing to take that job on. If this was an all CMC sided gig then the CEO of UNC wouldnt be the new Chairman of the board that actually will be making and voting on decisions moving forward. And that board wouldnt be split with representatives from each side.

This is actually unbelievable. Theres a joint effort from our hospitals to better healthcare (supposedly) and all you can guys can fight tooth and nail for is that some how CMC is absorbing UNC and will now be running the show. And your own sources from Charlotte based articles give zero indication of that because this isnt that type of business deal. Whats wrong with supporting the fact that they really are just working together for something??

Old 11-14-2017, 06:18 AM

661 posts, read 575,658 times
There is no such thing as a marriage or merger of equals in any business venture. For example Cone Health in Greensboro is still independent but CMC controls & operates the system. That's mostly likely the reason UNC is unloading High Point Regional. The CMC/UNC combo is a close to a merger as you can get without actually calling it a merger

Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
There is no such thing as a marriage or merger of equals in any business venture. For example Cone Health in Greensboro is still independent but CMC controls & operates the system. That's mostly likely the reason UNC is unloading High Point Regional. The CMC/UNC combo is a close to a merger as you can get without actually calling it a merger
And yet your example still isn't the case with UNC/CMC. Cone specifically went into a management agreement with CMC. In which, if i remember correctly, a lot of the Cone Health higher ups simply became CMC employees. They still are dedicated to managing only Cone. CMC does not own any part of Cone. Still independently owned and governed by their own board. CMC is not swallowing up all these other hosptial systems. And it certainly isnt doing it with UNC. Assets wont be pooling. Boards will remain seperate for everything legacy. And then this new company the CEO's themselves are discussing it together as about as 50/50 as it gets.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:13 AM

661 posts, read 575,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
And yet your example still isn't the case with UNC/CMC. Cone specifically went into a management agreement with CMC. In which, if i remember correctly, a lot of the Cone Health higher ups simply became CMC employees. They still are dedicated to managing only Cone. CMC does not own any part of Cone. Still independently owned and governed by their own board. CMC is not swallowing up all these other hosptial systems. And it certainly isnt doing it with UNC. Assets wont be pooling. Boards will remain seperate for everything legacy. And then this new company the CEO's themselves are discussing it together as about as 50/50 as it gets.
I never said CMC owned Cone or that they will own UNC. Cone's board agreed to allow CMC to make administrative decisions for Cone. Their executive leadership are employees of CHS therefore it's corporate culture is being implemented across Cone period & Cone also had the benefit of CMC'S ability to negotiate with venders, insurance companies etc. Now UNC/CMC are proposing to combine all their operations without actually giving up any assets. One culture will eventually become dominant & my money is on CMC, not because it's in Charlotte but it simply is better capitalised period.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:18 AM

And just to clear things further, right from the Letter of Intent it calls this a "Joint Enterprise."

From Legalmatch.com:

"Joint Enterprise

An express or implied agreement amongst the members of the group;A common purpose that is to be achieved by the group;An equal right of control to voice the direction of the enterprise."

It just is what it is guys and that is ok. Maybe even a good thing if what they say their intent is, actually comes to fruition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina