U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 PM

550 posts, read 305,390 times

Advertisements

I guess Amazon realized what we have all known for years about Charlotte.

and that cheesy video didn't help...

Old 01-18-2018, 10:02 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,267,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post

What is that?

Old 01-18-2018, 10:04 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,267,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Trent thanks for the compliment

A quick word of advice. Don't fall for it brother. The Charlotte crew may throw a back handed complaint Raleighs way. But they think Charlotte is on a mountain top looking down on all the Carolinas.

I really get a kick out of the Amazon thing. I doubt Amazon is really coming to Raleigh. That being said the fact that Charlotte USA didn't make the list is priceless. It's burning their biscuits. How is this possible? Little Raleigh made the top 20 out of 238 cities. NC's biggest city didn't. It looks like that mountain isn't all tall as some charlatans think it is?

It's all in fun though. We've been doing this for quite a while. I love giving these guys the business. Watch the squirm and eat crow extremely entertaining.

Lolz. But Charlotte is growing faster than Raleigh/Durham só it must
Not be such a terrible place

This doesn’t change the needle of Charlottes pace :/ sorry. Being in the top 20 for a tech company when you’re Whole shtick is being a tech hub and still thinking you don’t have a chance doesn’t negate Charlottes strengths in finance, energy, etc

Durham + Raleigh + Greensboro Metro áreas combined is barely smaller than Charlottes economy. https://bea.gov/newsreleases/regiona..._metro0917.pdf

That’s a bigger gap than in 2013 when Greensboro, Raleigh and Durham’s economy were larger than Charlottes combined.

Here’s the latest GDP growth map and you can see Metrolina’s economy growing

So. This list won’t really change the wind of the boat. Both cities are impressive. Don’t get carried away

Last edited by Charlotte485; 01-18-2018 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 10:07 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,995,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Trent thanks for the compliment

A quick word of advice. Don't fall for it brother. The Charlotte crew may throw a back handed complaint Raleighs way. But they think Charlotte is on a mountain top looking down on all the Carolinas.

I really get a kick out of the Amazon thing. I doubt Amazon is really coming to Raleigh. That being said the fact that Charlotte USA didn't make the list is priceless. It's burning their biscuits. How is this possible? Little Raleigh made the top 20 out of 238 cities. NC's biggest city didn't. It looks like that mountain isn't all tall as some charlatans think it is?

It's all in fun though. We've been doing this for quite a while. I love giving these guys the business. Watch the squirm and eat crow extremely entertaining.
Oh please. Check my posting history. I've been completely silent on HQ2 because I secretly didn't want Charlotte's name on the list at all. Also, I didn't want Charlotte wasting its time with Chiquita banana and major league soccer either. What's REALLY interesting is how most folks in the Triangle are so busy bragging about HQ2 cutting Charlotte that you've missed the fact that San Fran/Silicon Valley was cut too.

The headline should read "RTP outlasts Silicon Valley in hunt for HQ2". Instead, the internet chatter has been all about Raleigh outlasting Charlotte? Makes no sense to me. Please feel free to explain to us why outlasting Charlotte is a bigger deal to our friends in Raleigh. Ready, set, go.....

Old 01-18-2018, 10:28 PM

21,882 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Uhhh well he’s not the only Raleigh poster soooo.... Not all of us share the same “spunkiness” that our beloved Atown demonstrates lol.

But anyways I still don’t really get what the arguing is about. It’s not at all about which city is better it’s about which city was better suited for this type of corporate move. For all we know, maybe Raleigh will be #20. But to be in the top #20 of 238 cities I really wish all of N.C. could just be proud of.

This is what I’m talking about...
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...gh-to-win.html
I quoted him because he wasn't happy doing it once. He had to do it twice. If only one city in NC was going to get the nod it would only make sense that you'd get it. On the other hand, this is only the semifinals.

I don't consider graceless to be spunky.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:31 PM

21,882 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Oh please. Check my posting history. I've been completely silent on HQ2 because I secretly didn't want Charlotte's name on the list at all. Also, I didn't want Charlotte wasting its time with Chiquita banana and major league soccer either. What's REALLY interesting is how most folks in the Triangle are so busy bragging about HQ2 cutting Charlotte that you've missed the fact that San Fran/Silicon Valley was cut too.

The headline should read "RTP outlasts Silicon Valley in hunt for HQ2". Instead, the internet chatter has been all about Raleigh outlasting Charlotte? Makes no sense to me. Please feel free to explain to us why outlasting Charlotte is a bigger deal to our friends in Raleigh. Ready, set, go.....
Urban, you said on the Charlotte board that they shouldn't apply.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:21 AM

482 posts, read 247,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
Columbus, Denver, Austin,Raleigh,Atlanta,Nashville,Indianapolis all 2nd tier or lower cities that made the cut. It seems that one of the requirements for these lower tiers was to be the capital of your state. Congratulations to NC and Raleigh. Maybe Some relocations that did not want to compete with Amazon will add Charlotte to its list since it is no longer in the running for Amazon headquarters.
Actually, Atlanta is not in the same tier as any of the other cities you mentioned. This also had nothing to do with being State Capitals. Read the RFP again.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:58 AM

29,737 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
That it's weak on the higher ed front? Charlotteans themselves will admit as much.

Quote:
And then there's that.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:49 AM

149 posts, read 101,848 times
Having lived in both Charlotte and the Triangle, I prefer Charlotte. It's more of a genuine city.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:17 PM

183 posts, read 101,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldbloom View Post
Having lived in both Charlotte and the Triangle, I prefer Charlotte. It's more of a genuine city.
Triangle isn't a city so you're technically correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina