Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 02:01 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Huh? The business climate is already here. I've never understood the obsession with so-called "soul"? I guess it means some sort of identity or touristy asset....I don't know. There are plenty of places with these things that are aren't experiencing the growth of Raleigh or Charlotte. I do think Amazon win would galvanize Raleigh's downtown momentum much more so than Charlotte....Raleigh's is really stuck in the large Greenville, NC mentality, ECU with a few more buildings downtown. Not the metro region but Raleigh city.

Come on, neither Raleigh or Charlotte have the bones of Cincinnati, Memphis or Louisville. Yet, those places growth lags both metros for a reason...stuck in the past.

At the end of the day it's about quality of life and business atmosphere. I think both areas (Raleigh and Charlotte) could use an injection of touristy corridors or more entertainment destinations, it doesn't have to ooze of historic architecture. Simply build places to congregate, shop, eat, etc...and mix in some of points of interest.

Charlotte is already doing that, Raleigh ain't Richmond or Charleston...get onboard and don't worry about some ridiculous ass notion of "soul" or best chef east of the Mississippi.
Who's post are you responding to??? Oh that's right Charlotte doesn't have any education either! Maybe you guys need to get with the times.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:37 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Huh? The business climate is already here. I've never understood the obsession with so-called "soul"? I guess it means some sort of identity or older touristy asset....I don't know. There are plenty of places with these things that are aren't experiencing the growth of Raleigh or Charlotte. I do think Amazon win would galvanize Raleigh's downtown momentum much more so than Charlotte....Raleigh's is really stuck in the large Greenville, NC mentality, ECU with a few more buildings downtown. Not the metro region but Raleigh city.

Come on, neither Raleigh or Charlotte have the bones of Cincinnati, Memphis or Louisville. Yet, those places growth lags both metros for a reason...stuck in the past.

At the end of the day it's about quality of life and business atmosphere. I think both areas (Raleigh and Charlotte) could use an injection of touristy corridors or more entertainment destinations, it doesn't have to ooze of historic architecture. Simply build places to congregate, shop, eat, etc...and mix in some of points of interest.

Charlotte is already doing that, Raleigh ain't Richmond or Charleston...get onboard and don't worry about some ridiculous ass notion of "soul" or best chef east of the Mississippi.
Hmmmm... some of that is somewhat fair... especially at this juncture for both cities. Raleigh still has a more history to try to salvage than Charlotte, however the cookie cutter, walkable congregative pockets with your Great Clips and your Harris Teeters have to stop . Ride down Ballantyne from end to end and it’s virtually indistinguishable with those offerings ...I always point to Ballantyne because to me it epitomizes Charlotte growth ... just endless new age strip repackaged and sold under the designation of mixed use... just because it looks new and clean and has some generic, overpriced condos atop the businesses doesn’t make it a unique defining communal asset albeit a municipal tax asset.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Hmmmm... some of that is somewhat fair... especially at this juncture for both cities. Raleigh still has a more history to try to salvage than Charlotte, however the cookie cutter, walkable congregative pockets with your Great Clips and your Harris Teeters have to stop . Ride down Ballantyne from end to end and it’s virtually indistinguishable with those offerings ...I always point to Ballantyne because to me it epitomizes Charlotte growth ... just endless new age strip repackaged and sold under the designation of mixed use... just because it looks new and clean and has some generic, overpriced condos atop the businesses doesn’t make it a unique defining communal asset albeit a municipal tax asset.
The place literally looks like a suburban mall repackaged and sold under mixed use. It's sad honestly.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:21 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Charlotte hasn't always been the same. Gentrification just so happened to take it's toll. Charlotte is further along in the core development/residential tax game, that's all... If Amazon we're setup in Raleigh, it would change the North Carolina business climate forever.
Exactly. That's why this is such a big deal for so many cities. Amazon is a global player unlike any big companies we've seen in recent years. Their tentacles extend across the globe and will only continue to increase.

Whatever city lands HQ2, most likely an east coast city, will be in a very dominant and powerful position. That headquarters will be the main point of contact for Amazon in the Europe, Africa, and Middle East markets, which Amazon is starting to grow rapidly in.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Exactly. That's why this is such a big deal for so many cities. Amazon is a global player unlike any big companies we've seen in recent years. Their tentacles extend across the globe and will only continue to increase.

Whatever city lands HQ2, most likely an east coast city, will be in a very dominant and powerful position. That headquarters will be the main point of contact for Amazon in the Europe, Africa, and Middle East markets, which Amazon is starting to grow rapidly in.
It still doesn't deflect from the fact Raleigh is the top player in North Carolina. Right?

RDU is the primary driving force for North Carolina in the 21st century. Period.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:25 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
It still doesn't deflect from the fact Raleigh is the top player in North Carolina. Right?

RDU is the primary driving force for North Carolina in the 21st century. Period.

I stopped replying when you sounded uncharacteristicly reasonable.

Then you make stupid post like these.

Behold the glory of North Carolina to which brings us into the light:

Lots of soul

Last edited by Charlotte485; 01-20-2018 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I stopped replying when you sounded uncharacteristicly reasonable.

Then you make stupid post like these.
Let's be real. Charlotte's barely enough competition for Raleigh at all. The only things keeping you guys in business are banks, Carowinds, and a light rail line.

Raleigh is here to stay face it. I'm quite sure Amazon knew which city is more capable of meeting their demands. That area happens to be RDU.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Let's be real. Charlotte's barely enough competition for Raleigh at all. The only things keeping you guys in business are banks, Carowinds, and a light rail line.

Raleigh is here to stay face it. I'm quite sure Amazon knew which city is more capable of meeting their demands. That area happens to be RDU.

Our economy is bigger than Raleigh, Durham and Greensboro combined. And our economy is growing faster than the triangle. And population is too. Not just in raw numbers, but percents if I’m not mistaken

:/ so obviously it’s more than a light rail line, banks and carowinds to have an economy 30% larger than the triangle.

https://www.sparefoot.com/moving/mov...ro-gdp-growth/

Charlotte is 36% of NC economy
Raleigh is 18% of NC economy
Durham is 10% of NC economy
Greensboro is 9% of NC economy
Winston-Salem is 6% of NC economy

Or by region:
Charlotte is 36%
Triangle is 28%
Triad is 15%

Last edited by Charlotte485; 01-20-2018 at 06:21 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Our economy is bigger than Raleigh, Durham and Greensboro combined. And our economy is growing faster than the triangle. And population is too. Not just in raw numbers, but percents if I’m not mistaken

:/ so obviously it’s more than a light rail line, banks and carowinds to have an economy 30% larger than the triangle.

https://www.sparefoot.com/moving/mov...ro-gdp-growth/
I doubt Amazon cares right? Those stats you posted are flawed also. If it were up to you guys Raleigh would be the size of Rocky Mount.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I doubt Amazon cares right? Those stats you posted are flawed also. If it were up to you guys Raleigh would be the size of Rocky Mount.

How are those stats flawed? Which?

Look at the list. The top 10 biggest economies.

1.) NYC
2.) LA
3.) Chicago
4.) Dallas
5.) Washington DC
6.) Houston
7.) San Fran
8.) Philly
9.) Boston
10.) Atlanta

By not enough analyzing numbers. That seems consistent with what one would imagine being the largest.

And you can’t really manipulate growth numbers. Economic growth numbers.

Amazon obviously didn’t care to put Charlotte as a top 20 consideration for a secondary HQ... but obviously as a whole, more people and companies are choosing Charlotte :/ instead of the global world premier ambassador of NC....

Here is the break down for you

url]https://www.sparefoot.com/moving/moving-to-charlotte-nc/charlotte-metro-gdp-growth/[/url]

Charlotte is 36% of NC economy
Raleigh is 18% of NC economy
Durham is 10% of NC economy
Greensboro is 9% of NC economy
Winston-Salem is 6% of NC economy

Or by region:
Charlotte is 36%
Triangle is 28%
Triad is 15%

And I say that in response to this comment:

Quote:

I think data, numbers, growth, size of economies or just using your eyes to see which city is bigger is much more solid than your “Charlotte is full of dumb NASCAR red necks with a few banks” , making a list of 20 for HQ2 or Forbes list over white
Raleigh-Cary being the best place to raise a family :/

(And I just like numbers. Good thing considering I’m a finance guy.)

Last edited by Charlotte485; 01-20-2018 at 06:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina