Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 05:54 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
The fact that you have posted multiple times today in this thread speaks for itself. Even though you try to hide it. You're obsessed with Raleigh.

Why aren't you out enjoying your fabulous city? Instead of looking for every occasion to prove Charlottes superiority.

It's all in fun for most of us. You on the other hand have and continue to make a career out of Charlotte vs Raleigh.

How long have you been posting in Raleigh vs Charlotte threads?? Well over 10 years???

You need another hobby,pitiful

At 3:58, 8:08pm and 12:08am?

Oh no! I have no life and I don’t enjoy Charlotte because I’m too busy posting! Yeah. No. Terrible of me to play on my smartphone on light rail commuting to work, while I wait on food, At the doctors, etc.

You do realize you’ve posted way more frequently than I have, btw...

Old 02-04-2018, 10:48 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Center City Neighborhoods
The Center City is one of Charlotte’s most vibrant and diverse neighborhoods made up of individual residential areas (First, Second, Third and Fourth Wards Uptown and Historic South End). Each has its own distinct history, character and uniqueness. Residents of these neighborhoods work to preserve their distinctiveness and enhance their community through their own neighborhood associations. The Center City residential population is approaching 20,000. One of our core missions is to work with all Center City neighborhood associations. We are dedicated to building strong center city neighborhoods and enhancing constituent services for residents through communications and advocacy. We also help our neighborhoods connect with each other. We are working with neighborhoods on initiatives including parks, education, events, public safety, parking, lighting and gardens. You can find updated news and information about Center City and Historic South End neighborhoods in the Media/PR section of the website.

Charlotte Center City is a complete place with a rich tapestry of urban neighborhoods offering a diverse mix of housing, including affordable options.
Nearly 26,000 people call Center City home, and that number is expected to grow to 40,000 by the end of the decade. With new housing options being developed at a rapid pace, there are plenty of options for people eager to be a part of this urban community.

1st Ward
2nd Ward
3rd Ward
4th Ward
Historic Southend
Midtown
Historic West End

https://www.charlottecentercity.org/live/neighborhoods/

Old 02-06-2018, 01:24 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
See, that's the mentality (downeast) I was speaking of....as if Raleigh is some urban oasis, which is isn't and lacks vertical structures that reflect its population size. Vertical isn't a requirement, by no means, but it's sort of the American way to project city stature whether you like it or not. Raleigh isn't DC, built with blocks of Euro-style streets encompassed by row houses. You seem to think Raleigh is something it isn't other than an overgrown downeast NC city that serves as part of a three-nodal bookend to a "world" class office/industrial park.

Raleigh has a ton of potential and hopefully it learns from cities like Nashville, Austin, Charlotte, etc. The mentality you exude is what I meant by "it can't seem to get out of it's own way"....you are not what you think you are. Simply a small sprawling sunbelt city that could learn a lot from its peers....and why PNC is out in the sticks versus being downtown. It's not like Raleigh leaders have some magical anointment to build this "great" city...if anything, it's the exact opposite but I predict grand things for the city. Some of the old guard is finally being culled out so the city can move forward with becoming a dynamic and vibrant place. Raleigh is the very reason the Triangle hasn't progressed towards light rail sooner....it's mind-boggling. Light rail is no panacea, but it opens other options, this place is going to be a traffic nightmare in 10 years.
This is the most ridiculous set of "thoughts" I've ever read.

Nothing you mentioned has any tangible merits, and is definitely not a part of the curriculum for city-planning, urban design, etc.

Raleigh is an overgrown country town, which couldn't make for a more perfect capital of a state of seemingly a thousand small towns of every size.

And it's a great place as is, it hasn't ever needed to strive to be more than it already is.

Your assessments about building heights are hilarious, as if they mean anything. Tall buildings are officially warranted when cities are constrained by water or topography.

In fact, the direction & place-making characteristics Charlotte is fervently building (tall, slick, urban, concrete-heavy) are...

directly in contrast to the current evolution that cities are moving towards...

Grow your own food, interactive, personal, net-zero energy buildings, reconnect with nature, real places with real sensory connections with the elements.

Collaboration, work sharing, walking, corner cafés, real human experiences.

Northeastern transplants purposely move to the Triangle and can't get enough, even after several years, of the green trees, quaint downtowns, manageable drive times...

in essence, all of the things hard to come by in large urban regions.

All of your "important" criteria isn't in step with the current aspired qualities that cities want to attain.

How did Hugh McColl, with one tall building, create this monster that has overtaken the minds of Charlotte residents and made them prosethlyze the importance of building heights in making a city great?

And overnight I might add?

If you show Charlotte's skyline to people around the world, do you realize all of the feelings, elements and expectations they'll discover aren't in Charlotte?

I think that's one of the underlying reasons for so much boostering and non-stop defense people seem compelled to continue.

The height of Charlotte evokes a different set of expectations from what can be delivered, resulting in "less than what I expected"

Raleigh is safe in that regard, however...

People all over the world following the pack of movers solely based on statistics and quality of life rankings, frequently find Raleigh smaller than expected based on all of the adulation.

But I know that the "regret moving threads" contain much fewer dissatisfied with the Triangle than Charlotte.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:15 AM

And here we go with this horse crap that Charlotte is just a few glitzy towers.

There’s a reason Charlottes Center city is growing 5x faster in every category than downtown Raleigh.

It’s the same reason Austin and Nashville are are having even bigger skyscraper booms. Uptown, and downtowns Austin and Nashville are desirable. People like them. People like to live in them. That’s why uptown commands a stronger rent. That’s why in Raleigh you can park all day for 5$ and uptown you can park for 25$ a day

Charlotte is growing faster than The triangle.

Quote:

Raleigh’s population grew by 13 percent between 2010 and 2016, to 458,880. During that time, Cary’s population grew 18.5 percent to 162,320, while Durham’s population grew 14.7 percent to 263,016. Durham remained the state’s fourth-largest city and Cary the seventh.

Chapel Hill and Hillsborough saw the least amount of population growth among Triangle towns from 2010 to 2016, at 3.1 percent and 6.7 percent, respectively.

The Triangle has been spreading out for years as its universities and a strong local economy draw people to the region. Six of the state’s 10 fastest-growing towns since 2010 were former railroad towns and crossroad communities in Wake: Rolesville, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs, Wake Forest, Morrisville and Knightdale.

Charlotte grew by 15,656 residents in the year ending last June, more than all but 10 other cities in the country during that time. The city grew by 14 percent since 2010, to 842,051, making it by far North Carolina’s largest city.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.newso...152435434.html

Interactive, reconnecting with nature and all that other stuff you’re mentioning is exactly Charlotte, Austin and Nashville’s downtown are exploding with people, events, conventions, etc.

Austin is an example a city can boom and retain its uniqueness

People should really just talk about how nice their own cities are. You don’t have to constantly make uninformed comments about the other to discuss why your city is great even in a “vs.” thread. Mayberry vs. Soulless is a much worse conversation than hearing good things about the respective cities

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-06-2018 at 06:43 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 08:01 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
And here we go with this horse crap that Charlotte is just a few glitzy towers.

There’s a reason Charlottes Center city is growing 5x faster in every category than downtown Raleigh.

It’s the same reason Austin and Nashville are are having even bigger skyscraper booms. Uptown, and downtowns Austin and Nashville are desirable. People like them. People like to live in them. That’s why uptown commands a stronger rent. That’s why in Raleigh you can park all day for 5$ and uptown you can park for 25$ a day

Charlotte is growing faster than The triangle.

Interactive, reconnecting with nature and all that other stuff you’re mentioning is exactly Charlotte, Austin and Nashville’s downtown are exploding with people, events, conventions, etc.

Austin is an example a city can boom and retain its uniqueness

People should really just talk about how nice their own cities are. You don’t have to constantly make uninformed comments about the other to discuss why your city is great even in a “vs.” thread. Mayberry vs. Soulless is a much worse conversation than hearing good things about the respective cities
Wow, using another City's "downtown" streetlife pictures to prove your point about "Charlotte?" I think you just proved Architect77's post very correct, I might add.

Charlotte is has a lower COL, does that make it a lower quality city?

Charlotte is a much less densely populated city "overall", does that make it any less urban?

Charlotte has a much smaller educational culture, does the that make the citizens incompetent?

Let's stop it with the misleading statistical rhetoric.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:18 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
In fact, the direction & place-making characteristics Charlotte is fervently building (tall, slick, urban, concrete-heavy) are...

directly in contrast to the current evolution that cities are moving towards...

Grow your own food, interactive, personal, net-zero energy buildings, reconnect with nature, real places with real sensory connections with the elements.

Collaboration, work sharing, walking, corner cafés, real human experiences.
None of these things are in contradiction to building highrises. Otherwise, the most well-known progressive cities wouldn't be building highrises but they are actually building a ton.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:21 AM

Of the top largest colleges in North Carolina, Charlotte has 2 in the top 4 Raleigh 1.
Charlotte has 13 colleges and Universities in the city. So I do not think Charlotte has a much smaller educational culture.

We have 2 nuclear power plant 10 miles out from Charlotte. I think those people who are running does plants has more than a smaller education.
To get down to the brass tacks there are many people in Charlotte that must have a good education to buy all these million dollar house being built.
And all those people who are pay high rent to live in Center city.

List of the Largest Colleges in North Carolina
https://collegestats.org/colleges/no...olina/largest/

Last edited by CLT1985; 02-06-2018 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Wow, using another City's "downtown" streetlife pictures to prove your point about "Charlotte?" I think you just proved Architect77's post very correct, I might add.

Charlotte is has a lower COL, does that make it a lower quality city?

Charlotte is a much less densely populated city "overall", does that make it any less urban?

Charlotte has a much smaller educational culture, does the that make the citizens incompetent?

Let's stop it with the misleading statistical rhetoric.

Read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
None of these things are in contradiction to building highrises. Otherwise, the most well-known progressive cities wouldn't be building highrises but they are actually building a ton.

I find it humorous it’s “fake news” Charlotte is larger than Raleigh. It’s misleading that uptown is bigger than downtown Raleigh. Lol. Whatever.

It’s also sad the reason both Durham and Charlotte lag behind Raleigh in certain measurements. Look at Charlotte. It’s easy to see the “wedge” (from uptown wedging out to south Charlotte & Ballantyne) and the correlation of race & wealth, quality of schools. That’s not a problem solved in Raleigh.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-06-2018 at 09:19 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 09:25 AM

I just want to post that Charlotte gain more than twice as many people as Raleigh between 2010 and 2016, by US Census report.

Charlotte gain 110,627 people
Raleigh gain 54,988

Charlotte gain 2.02 times s many people as Raleigh.
So why are more people moving to Charlotte, if Raleigh is a greater city than Charlotte with all those accolades.

All the talk about how bad Charlotte is holds no water.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:35 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
I just want to post that Charlotte gain more than twice as many people as Raleigh between 2010 and 2016, by US Census report.

Charlotte gain 110,627 people
Raleigh gain 54,988

Charlotte gain 2.02 times s many people as Raleigh.
So why are more people moving to Charlotte, if Raleigh is a greater city than Charlotte with all those accolades.

All the talk about how bad Charlotte is holds no water.
Why do you think Charlotte is bad? I think Charlotte is a nice city in comparison...

By the way, Charlotte also has twice the land mass of Raleigh. Why not brag about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina