U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 06:35 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,263,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Did not we just state that...that gap ain't a gap....lol. Over 60,000 people work in the RTP excluding the many campuses and other buildings on the fringes that don't want to pay for an RTP address. That gap is a small city during the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle_Park

IBM itself is small town during the day.
And apparently it’s a ghost town with no one living there at any other time?

Where should one visit in RTP to stroll around or enjoy?

I assume this forest in RTP is being pitched to Amazon?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3GZqg9viWqo

RTP, I’ve never recall being through it if I have, but it appears to be a very dispersely places collection of office parks built in a sparsely populated locations surrounded by forest. I don’t know what I’m missing. I mean.

North Hills seems like a lovely area. RTP just reminds me of Arrowood around the Microsoft buildings. Only much bigger and greener.

If it seems like I’m hating on RTP. I absolutely am. I don’t like it so far. Maybe I need to spend some actual time there. But I don’t think I will like it. It looks sparse. It doesn’t look like there’s much to do. It seems like a place people go to park and work then leave. I’m not against office parks. I love Ballantyne. North Hills looks great. SouthPark is very urban. University City is nice. But RTP. Bleh.

(Which is very different than saying it’s not a great asset where great research companies aren’t choosing. It’s alive and well. I just don’t like the place. Durham, Raleigh, North Hills, etc. yes)
Attached Thumbnails
Raleigh vs Charlotte-94c3f14b-c748-47f9-ae0e-1c800ad91acb.jpeg  

Old 02-17-2018, 06:52 PM

I mean.

It looks very sparse to me. Density map shows a disconnect between Raleigh and Durham.

Durham & Raleigh are even separate MSA’s. Dallas-Fort Worth aren’t. Minneapolis St. Paul aren’t.

If that space between Durham and Raleigh were more populated, it’d be a single MSA. It just needs to fill in more to be considered a single MSA. Just like GSO/Winston need to grow into each other. GSO to Winston is pretty much the same distance as Durham to Raleigh

Old 02-17-2018, 06:58 PM

15 posts, read 7,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
And apparently it’s a ghost town with no one living there at any other time?

Where should one visit in RTP to stroll around or enjoy?

I assume this forest in RTP is being pitched to Amazon?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3GZqg9viWqo

RTP, I’ve never recall being through it if I have, but it appears to be a very dispersely places collection of office parks built in a sparsely populated locations surrounded by forest. I don’t know what I’m missing. I mean.

North Hills seems like a lovely area. RTP just reminds me of Arrowood around the Microsoft buildings. Only much bigger and greener.

If it seems like I’m hating on RTP. I absolutely am. I don’t like it so far. Maybe I need to spend some actual time there. But I don’t think I will like it. It looks sparse. It doesn’t look like there’s much to do. It seems like a place people go to park and work then leave. I’m not against office parks. I love Ballantyne. North Hills looks great. SouthPark is very urban. University City is nice. But RTP. Bleh.

(Which is very different than saying it’s not a great asset where great research companies aren’t choosing. It’s alive and well. I just don’t like the place. Durham, Raleigh, North Hills, etc. yes)

Who are you arguing against here? I don't think anyone has mentioned liking RTP or finding it cool. Your motives for posting that are suspect.

Oh god my eyes are stuck now.

*edit* BTW, the city of Durham and Raleigh touch at Briar Creek. A massive bedroom community and shopping center north of the airport. Also not a cool place btw so you can start talking down about that as well.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGuyTravels View Post
Who are you arguing against here? I don't think anyone has mentioned liking RTP or finding it cool. Your motives for posting that are suspect.

Oh god my eyes are stuck now.

I’m not arguing. I’m saying I think RTP is dreadful, derelict, anti-urban, forest with some office parks sprinkled in. That’s my opinion as of right now. I think that area between Raleigh and Durham is so sparsely populated it makes Raleigh and Durham separate metropolitan areas.

If RTP is your thing, cool. I imagine working in some of those buildings must be pretty cool with indoor tennis courts or whatever amenities. Cafeterias. But sorry. I think the park sucks other than being an economic engine that fuels the region. But the place itself. No thank you.

The other areas of the Triangle are much, much more interesting.Durham, Crabtree, Downtown Raleigh, North Hills, Carrborro, Chapel Hill, even Cary. I have step family who lives in Fuquay-Varina and Angier. I used to go there several times a year for years. I never really considered that Raleigh though. It felt very rural.

*To be fair, only Silicon Valley comes to mind as a nice research park

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-17-2018 at 07:12 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 PM

15 posts, read 7,698 times
Quote:
Iím not arguing. Iím saying I think RTP is dreadful, derelict, anti-urban, forest with some office parks sprinkled in. Thatís my opinion as of right now. I think that area between Raleigh and Durham is so sparsely populated it makes Raleigh and Durham separate metropolitan areas.

If RTP is your thing, cool. I imagine working on some of those buildings must be pretty cool with indoor tennis courts or whatever amenities. Cafeterias. But sorry. I think the park sucks other than being an economic engine that fuels the region. But the place itself. No thank you.

The other areas of the Triangle are much, much more interesting.
I literally never said that nor hold any of those opinions. Don't let that stop you though.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:29 PM

An article from last year about a delayed redevelopment of RTP that was supposed to break ground by now but they’re basically going back to the drawing boards with a new CEO heading up RTP

Quote:

That project, spearheaded by Geolas in 2014, is meant to evolve the 7,000-acre park from a collection of self-contained corporate campuses into a place where people can not only work but also live and socialize.

“The master plan is very impressive, and I think those bones and the sense that we are creating a center for the region and the park are all valid,” he said. “(Park Center) is transforming a park that has been thriving for 60 years, but things have evolved.

“It’s very important that we provide all the amenities that the current workforce needs to attract and retain talent at the park ... so it stays relevant for the next 60 years.”

“I think (the project) is important because we are finding that our younger residents don't want long commutes – they would like to be able to bike and walk to work.”

Read more here: Scott Levitan named new president and CEO of the Research Triangle Foundation | The Herald Sun

I mean. That’s a step in the right direction. Moving away from “self contained corporate campuses.” Place making. Sounds like that’s the plan. Just think it’s 6 years late to the game.

But basically the reason I dislike RTP is the very thing being addressed by this new redevelopment plan.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:34 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,302,916 times
Quote:
An article from last year about a delayed redevelopment of RTP that was supposed to break ground by now but theyíre basically going back to the drawing boards with a new CEO heading up RTP

I mean. Thatís a step in the right direction. Moving away from ďself contained corporate campuses.Ē Place making. Sounds like thatís the plan. Just think itís 6 years late to the game.

But basically the reason I dislike RTP is the very thing being addressed by this new redevelopment plan.
I tried to hold back, but your posts are becoming weird. Did someone break up with you from RDU?

Old 02-17-2018, 07:53 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,543,856 times
I work in RTP at IBM from 1966 to 1973. As far as I know no one lived in RTP because it was never was to have housing in it. The idea to form RTP was good, but it did delay Raleigh and Durham downtown development.

Charlotte center city which is much smaller than RTP has over 100,000 people working there.
But this does not take anything away from RTP. All it means there is that you can not compare Center city Charlotte and RTP. RTP is a great asset to North Carolina.

I do not take anything away from Charlotte also.

Both give something for North Carolina to be proud to have both in their state.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I tried to hold back, but your posts are becoming weird. Did someone break up with you from RDU?

You don’t think RTP needs to “redevelop” and become an actual place/community instead of being “self-contained campuses.” ?

You do a big disservice to your regions biggest asset to believe that the status quo is fine as opposed to moving more towards a community oriented RTP. A place where people can enjoy themselves after work. My opinion of course. And surely it must be to the Durham for sinking 10’s of millions of dollars into efforts to make RTP a community.

Live-work-play is the current trend and one that seems here to stay.

https://knowledge-leader.colliers.co...is-incomplete/

^ there’s one of many, many articles on Live-Work-Play and re-urbanization and society moving towards urban centers and suburbs with village or town centers. It’s not like RTP is waning in prestige or decaying. But I bet it could be doing better competing with ATL, for example (I chose ATL because I think ATL is a bigger competitor to RDU than CLT and I also think ATL is a bigger competitor to CLT than RDU is to CLT. Mostly because ATL’s strength reaches a broad spectrum competing with CLT on finance and RDU with tech) with some relocations once the redevelopment takes place. Plus I just think it’s best for RTP to move towards that direction. Especially for a success of a light rail line.

I don’t think anything I’m saying about RTP is irrational or some disdain for the triangle region. It’s simply a matter me playing urban planner.

Maybe the commute from the other interesting parts of the Triangle won’t deter others so people will just go there then leave after work. In which case RTP can suck and the other areas thrive.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-17-2018 at 08:33 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 06:04 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,543,856 times
Research Triangle Park

From Wikipedia
The Research Triangle Park (RTP) is one of the largest research parks in the world.It is named for the three hub cities of Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill, or more properly for the three major research universities in those three cities (Duke University, NC State University, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill respectively). The Research Triangle region of North Carolina received its name as an extension of the name of the park. Besides the three anchor cities, the park is also bounded by the communities of Morrisville and Cary and the proposed annexations to the town of Pittsboro would also bring that community into close contact with the RTP. Approximately one fourth of the park's territory lies in Wake County, but the majority of its land is in Durham County.

It was created in 1959

Following World War II, North Carolina's economy could no longer depend upon their traditional industries of agriculture, textiles, and furniture; their market share was in decline and jobs were leaving. Academics at N.C. State and Duke came up with the idea of creating the park so that the universities could do research together, leverage the area’s strengths, and keep graduates in state.[

One of the best thing that happen in NC in 1959.

In 1960 Charlotte was 201,564
In 1970 Raleigh was 122,850
Charlotte and Raleigh were small cities, many people in USA did not know about them.
The RTP put North Carolina on the map.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle_Park

Last edited by CLT1985; 02-18-2018 at 06:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina