Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 06:37 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times

Advertisements

Neither Charlotte nor Raleigh deserve to even be considered on that list. It's literally dimishes their credibility. I even find Houston surprising. I'll actually be heading to Lisboa, Madrid & Paris soon.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:07 PM

464 posts, read 523,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This was a poll of 953 North Carolinians. That's about 0.01% of NC's total population. In the real world, Charlotte gained 17,695 people in the most recent census year estimate (2015). That made Charlotte the 10th largest numerical growth city in the Nation. No other Carolina city made the top 15.

Five of the Nation’s Eleven Fastest-Growing Cities are in Texas.

So when an opinion poll of 953 people states that Charlotte is unpopular and nearly 1,500 new residents per month says something totally different; I'd put my money on the census as being most accurate.

With that said, I can believe that many NC natives are turned off by how large Charlotte has become compared to most other NC cities. NC traditionally is NOT a "big city" state. It's only natural that when a NC city like Charlotte begins to emerge, many natives will avoid such a place.

In other words, Charlotte is probably more attractive to folks outside of NC than it is to folks who are born and raised in NC. Much of rural PA, Georgia, and Texas hates the likes of Philly/Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and Dallas/Houston. Statewide opinions (in most states) are almost always skewed towards the suburbs and rural areas.
The Triangle is on par with Charlotte so...

You tried though

Old 01-25-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Neither Charlotte nor Raleigh deserve to even be considered on that list. It's literally dimishes their credibility. I even find Houston surprising. I'll actually be heading to Lisboa, Madrid & Paris soon.
Raleigh absolutely deserves to be on that list.

I always knew the future Food Hall would bring us more notoriety

Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 PM

Lol...it never ends

Old 01-25-2017, 09:41 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
The most recent visitor spending data for NC shows that $21.9 billion was spent in 2015. Guilford had $1.3 billion, Wake had $2.1 billion, and Meck had $5 billion. What's interesting is the visitor spending vs county population.

For example, Meck is 10% of the state's population with nearly 23% of the state's vistor spending. Guilford is 5% of the state's population with roughly 6% of the state's visitor spending. So far, Meck and Guilford maintains a larger proportion of visitor spending than their relative populations.

Then there's Wake county, home of NC's capital city. Just being a capital city alone should be reason enough to attract visitors right? Well, Wake having 10% of NC's population vs only having 9.6% of NC's visitor spending is interesting. Why does Guilford and Meck out perform our state's capital city on visitor revenue? That's an interesting thread topic for sure.

At any rate, until Wake's visitor spending gets above 10% of NC's total visitor spending; it's wise not to brag about any thing having to do with Raleigh's tourism. Charlotte shouldn't brag either, but the Raleigh faithful should really tone it down when it comes to this topic. I'd stick to bragging about clean neighborhoods, low crime, good schools, and the new Ikea in Cary.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-25-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 10:38 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
The Triangle is on par with Charlotte so...

You tried though
Not according to numerical growth as clearly stated in the post.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:48 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
Quote:
It's the writers"opinion" that Raleigh does deserve to be on this list. I didn't take it as a best of list. More of a list of places worth visiting in 2017. In Raleigh's case worth visiting if you're a "foodie". Nobody in their right mind would call Raleigh a top travel destination.

Urbancharlotte once again you missed the boat. Visitor spending has nothing to do with anything. Nice try though.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:37 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
It's the writers"opinion" that Raleigh does deserve to be on this list. I didn't take it as a best of list. More of a list of places worth visiting in 2017. In Raleigh's case worth visiting if you're a "foodie". Nobody in their right mind would call Raleigh a top travel destination.

Urbancharlotte once again you missed the boat. Visitor spending has nothing to do with anything. Nice try though.

I guess worth visiting. Like an overlooked or surpringly nice place to visit.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This was a poll of 953 North Carolinians. That's about 0.01% of NC's total population. In the real world, Charlotte gained 17,695 people in the most recent census year estimate (2015). That made Charlotte the 10th largest numerical growth city in the Nation. No other Carolina city made the top 15.
How many times do we have to go over the fact that the Charlotte land area is enormous? To not be in the top ten would be astonishing since it's so physically large. In fact, 9 of the top 10 cities in numerical change have a huge city limit. No shock there. Denver is the exception; it's a little more than half the size of Charlotte and added more people.
Of the top 15, the impressive ones are Seattle, DC, San Francisco because these cities are tiny in comparison to their growth.
The least impressive on the list is Jacksonville. That one's a joke.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:06 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
I would have loved to have read this reply if Charlotte had made the list and Raleigh didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina