U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-07-2017, 11:48 PM
 
3,450 posts, read 3,131,572 times
Reputation: 3400

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Fact Raleigh and the Triangle always seem to rank better lol. For some strange reason. Big city or not lol
Raleigh and RTP usually rank higher than Charlotte for best place to live. fact. Charlotte is the "big" city in the state. fact. And clearly a much larger city than Raleigh. fact.

 
Old 02-08-2017, 04:30 AM
 
Location: Raleigh N.C
2,026 posts, read 2,039,222 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Raleigh and RTP usually rank higher than Charlotte for best place to live. fact. Charlotte is the "big" city in the state. fact. And clearly a much larger city than Raleigh. fact.
Not arguing the fact Charlotte bigger. If bigger floats your boat ok. Better is an entirely different matter all together. I'd rather be better than bigger but ok. Frankly Charlotte isn't really that much larger anyway.if at all. It's packed to look that way,but in all actuality not so much.

Honestly,I've never doubted Charlotte was somewhat larger. The question is how much larger. Some of you,maybe not you personally. Try to give the impression that Charlotte is some giant metropolis. Towering over the entire state. Obviously that's not the case. Charlotte is a bit larger than Raleigh and the Triangle. That's why I continuously throw out the challenge of side by side offerings. When comparing the two the list is pretty thin. That speaks for itself. Again,larger ok I said it. Not actually by much.

Just wanted to add. Another list just came out. Yahoo I think. Charlotte 14 Raleigh 7. Can all these people be wrong and you guys are right? I'll go with no lol

Last edited by Atowwn; 02-08-2017 at 05:48 AM..
 
Old 02-08-2017, 06:33 AM
 
6,270 posts, read 9,990,932 times
Reputation: 4723
It just seems like you're looking for reasons to "validate" Raleigh. Here's a hint.....stop trying so hard. If Raleigh is legit, then it can validate itself.

I'll use Charlotte for example. Yes Charlotte has boosters and cheerleaders from within. However, Charlotte has a ton of boosters and cheerleaders from the outside as well. Charlotte is starting to become that "big city" surprise that nobody expected to find in North Carolina. The Charlotte boosters who live here can go silent for a decade; and it still wouldn't stop outside-boosters from uploading their first visit to Charlotte videos onto youtube.





For the record, I would NEVER make a video of Charlotte that compares it with Sydney, NYC, or a structure in LA. For some reason though, there are boosters from the outside who do such things. Hey, this is a free country so they can say whatever they wish to say.

As Charlotte's population, urban neighborhoods, mass transit, and skyline all grow; I'd expect the outside boosterism to grow as well. For those of you who already think that Charlotte is overrated, just wait.....It's going to get worse in the years to come.
 
Old 02-08-2017, 07:05 AM
 
29,669 posts, read 27,113,966 times
Reputation: 18206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
If this was true, then Fayetteville, the largest republican city in the entire State, would be receiving huge loads of unneeded grants from McCrory (unless they are).
Gotta source on that? Cumberland County is a blue county.
 
Old 02-08-2017, 09:47 AM
 
3,450 posts, read 3,131,572 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Not arguing the fact Charlotte bigger. If bigger floats your boat ok. Better is an entirely different matter all together. I'd rather be better than bigger but ok. Frankly Charlotte isn't really that much larger anyway.if at all. It's packed to look that way,but in all actuality not so much.

Honestly,I've never doubted Charlotte was somewhat larger. The question is how much larger. Some of you,maybe not you personally. Try to give the impression that Charlotte is some giant metropolis. Towering over the entire state. Obviously that's not the case. Charlotte is a bit larger than Raleigh and the Triangle. That's why I continuously throw out the challenge of side by side offerings. When comparing the two the list is pretty thin. That speaks for itself. Again,larger ok I said it. Not actually by much.

Just wanted to add. Another list just came out. Yahoo I think. Charlotte 14 Raleigh 7. Can all these people be wrong and you guys are right? I'll go with no lol
It's not about likes, dislikes, emotions or rankings. It simply a fact based on data. What is your list aside from James Beard using city v city? Office space, residents, public transit, sports venues, etc. Downtown Charlotte looms well over downtown Raleigh and seemingly widening the gap. I actually prefer RDU (especially Durham where I spend the bulk of my time). Downtown Raleigh best pick up the pace, the Triangle as whole is on par with Charlotte in my opinion but city v city, Charlotte is a tier above any other city in NC. Still not sure why this is such a big deal. Raleigh wins everything else, it's just late to the wannabe "big" city game and working out the kinks and competes against 2 formidable node cities - not to mention the employment hub of RTP. Some of the RTP office space could've been towers in downtown Raleigh but the area didn't develop that way.
 
Old 02-11-2017, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,157 posts, read 2,777,495 times
Reputation: 4450
The fact of the matter is that Charlotte is a big city with most of the functions and amenities of a big city, and still adding more. Raleigh is a mid-sized city with most of the functions and amenities of a mid-sized city. Both are great within their respective weight classes and yes, in the national lexicon, both are still somehow underrated...

But Charlotte has now, within the last couple years, made the ascension into America's Top 20 Cities. Charlotte is in the same vein as cities like Portland, Denver, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc. Raleigh just does not have the same cache, presence, or offerings as Charlotte. That particular debate, about which is larger and has the highest level of urban amenities, should really be put to bed by now...
 
Old 02-11-2017, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Raleigh N.C
2,026 posts, read 2,039,222 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The fact of the matter is that Charlotte is a big city with most of the functions and amenities of a big city, and still adding more. Raleigh is a mid-sized city with most of the functions and amenities of a mid-sized city. Both are great within their respective weight classes and yes, in the national lexicon, both are still somehow underrated...

But Charlotte has now, within the last couple years, made the ascension into America's Top 20 Cities. Charlotte is in the same vein as cities like Portland, Denver, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc. Raleigh just does not have the same cache, presence, or offerings as Charlotte. That particular debate, about which is larger and has the highest level of urban amenities, should really be put to bed by now...
Maybe you can answer a quick question for me then. Before I go on I'll concede Charlotte is a bigger city. With more "urban" amenities. What that really means in the long run brings me to my question.

If Charlotte is so much bigger I'd imagine you'd consider it better. I'm sure you've heard the saying about opinions,but anyway. Answer this for us all please. Why dose little medium sized Raleigh continually out rank "Big City" Charlotte? On 3 different lists in the last couple of weeks alone? Could it be Raleigh is paying these people off,doubtful? Could it be that not everyone,not even a majority of people value what you guys value. Could it be that in the end only a few urban everything lovers on cd are in the minority? Even still could it be that Raleigh offers the things adults value most? I don't need to list anything. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I did want to add one thing. Have you ever considered maybe not everyone wants or even values your urban environment? There is a lot you have to give up. That might be why even in the big city only %2 of Charlotte residents use public transportation. Just a thought.

When you guys catch up on some adult subjects ok. Until then you'll stay bringing up the rear.

I'll go with the option of Forbes,US News,Wallet Hub,etc. Over some guys on city data. With nobody to back them up.

Urban Charlotte please stop posting those same two videos man. Please get some new material bro lol😂
 
Old 02-11-2017, 05:18 PM
 
3,450 posts, read 3,131,572 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Maybe you can answer a quick question for me then. Before I go on I'll concede Charlotte is a bigger city. With more "urban" amenities. What that really means in the long run brings me to my question.

If Charlotte is so much bigger I'd imagine you'd consider it better. I'm sure you've heard the saying about opinions,but anyway. Answer this for us all please. Why dose little medium sized Raleigh continually out rank "Big City" Charlotte? On 3 different lists in the last couple of weeks alone? Could it be Raleigh is paying these people off,doubtful? Could it be that not everyone,not even a majority of people value what you guys value. Could it be that in the end only a few urban everything lovers on cd are in the minority? Even still could it be that Raleigh offers the things adults value most? I don't need to list anything. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I did want to add one thing. Have you ever considered maybe not everyone wants or even values your urban environment? There is a lot you have to give up. That might be why even in the big city only %2 of Charlotte residents use public transportation. Just a thought.

When you guys catch up on some adult subjects ok. Until then you'll stay bringing up the rear.

I'll go with the option of Forbes,US News,Wallet Hub,etc. Over some guys on city data. With nobody to back them up.

Urban Charlotte please stop posting those same two videos man. Please get some new material bro lol��
But Raleigh outranks cities much larger than Charlotte on a regular basis. It usually outranks Miami, Atlanta, Houston, etc. on a lot of lists. What's your point?
 
Old 02-11-2017, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Raleigh N.C
2,026 posts, read 2,039,222 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
But Raleigh outranks cities much larger than Charlotte on a regular basis. It usually outranks Miami, Atlanta, Houston, etc. on a lot of lists. What's your point?
Stick to Raleigh and Charlotte,please. Btw you know my point. Nice try though. If almost every major publication ranked Charlotte higher than Raleigh. You guys would never shut up. Unfortunately that's obviously not the case!
 
Old 02-11-2017, 06:22 PM
 
1,452 posts, read 991,550 times
Reputation: 1664
The funny thing about the US News Report is it shows Charlotte as more desirable (scored a 7.6 vs Raleigh's 7.0). So people would rather live in Charlotte if they could, but the traffic is better in Raleigh so they pulled ahead on Quality of Life score (which was all data points like how many hospitals a place has and commute times). The overall difference was .1 between Charlotte and Raleigh. Why didn't Raleigh score higher for desirability??? I'd admit Charlotte has worse traffic and such, but why do people still desire Charlotte more then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top