U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 04:58 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,044,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Because they aren't remotely close to being the same type of event. That's pretty self-evident.
I never said they were the same type of event. That was never the point. That should be self evident. The only comparison I made is that they were the respective areas two largest annual events. Later it was brought to my attention that speed week was Charlotte's largest annual event. Frankly I'm not sure what your beef is? There will always be differences. You mentioned Carowinds as a better comparison to the State Fair. For numerous reasons that's not a exact comparison either.

Would it be to your liking if I used the Bluegrass or Hopscotch festivals as examples? Btw there is some kind of event almost weekly in DT Raleigh. Caribbean & African-American cultural festivals are two of my favorites. The giant food truck rodeos are crazy. Hopefully those examples are more to your liking.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:21 AM

29,780 posts, read 27,214,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I never said they were the same type of event. That was never the point. That should be self evident. The only comparison I made is that they were the respective areas two largest annual events. Later it was brought to my attention that speed week was Charlotte's largest annual event. Frankly I'm not sure what your beef is? There will always be differences. You mentioned Carowinds as a better comparison to the State Fair. For numerous reasons that's not a exact comparison either.

Would it be to your liking if I used the Bluegrass or Hopscotch festivals as examples? Btw there is some kind of event almost weekly in DT Raleigh. Caribbean & African-American cultural festivals are two of my favorites. The giant food truck rodeos are crazy. Hopefully those examples are more to your liking.
I don't have "beef" but it's just odd comparing a state fair to a basketball tournament. I mean if Raleigh's largest annual event were a religious gathering, would you make the comparison?

Neither city is obviously lacking in terms of large annual events and things to do; I think everyone knows that.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:10 AM

6,270 posts, read 10,003,407 times
Carowinds on the Today show

Charlotte area amusement attractions such as Carowinds and the Whitewater center have made national news for their unique features. What's unique about Carowinds is that it has 2 of North America's top-ten coasters (Fury 325 and Intimidator). US Whitewater is unique for being the largest man-made facility of its kind in the world.

Thanks to Fury 325, Carowinds have been mentioned (more than once) in the NY Times. Many people still rate Fury as the best coaster in North America.

To be honest, an attempt to compare Carowinds/Whitewater to a fair is insulting. It's like comparing a Corvette to a skateboard.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Carowinds on the Today show

Charlotte area amusement attractions such as Carowinds and the Whitewater center have made national news for their unique features. What's unique about Carowinds is that it has 2 of North America's top-ten coasters (Fury 325 and Intimidator). US Whitewater is unique for being the largest man-made facility of its kind in the world.

Thanks to Fury 325, Carowinds have been mentioned (more than once) in the NY Times. Many people still rate Fury as the best coaster in North America.

To be honest, an attempt to compare Carowinds/Whitewater to a fair is insulting. It's like comparing a Corvette to a skateboard.
A seasonal Corvette Lol 😂. Along with the only place I know with brain eating bacteria. So let's not be so full of ourselves.

Stepping back a little. You go on about CIAA. You fail to mention the yearly shootings/shoot outs associated with the event. Also you fail to mention that a large percentage of Charlotte residents hate the event and wish it was gone. A lot of businesses even close to avoid the event all together. Post some videos of that.

Back on topic I went to Carowinds last year. I enjoyed it the rides were great. The food was MUCH improved from my previous experience to be honest. The food couldn't compare to the State Fair but anyway. That's a hard hill to climb.

Last two things I already conceded the point on Carowinds and white water center. So in the end your point is?
Even though there's NOTHING in Charlotte you could compare the NC Museums Natural Sciences,History and Art in Raleigh.
https://youtu.be/0DQic9buUfI
On second thought let's call it a draw on Carowinds. I much prefer the museums. I don't have a desire to go whitewater rafting so I'm indifferent.
Mutiny you know as well as I do. The last thing people go to CIAA for are the basketball games.

Last edited by Atowwn; 05-13-2017 at 08:29 AM..

Old 05-13-2017, 08:15 AM

3,759 posts, read 3,277,783 times
I think you 2 should agree to disagree

Old 05-13-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
A seasonal Corvette Lol ��. Along with the only place I know with brain eating bacteria. So let's not be so full of ourselves.

Stepping back a little. You go on about CIAA. You fail to mention the yearly shootings/shoot outs associated with the event. Also you fail to mention that a large percentage of Charlotte residents hate the event and wish it was gone. A lot of businesses even close to avoid the event all together. Post some videos of that.

Back on topic I went to Carowinds last year. I enjoyed it the rides were great. The food was MUCH improved from my previous experience to be honest. The food couldn't compare to the State Fair but anyway. That's a hard hill to climb.

Last two things I already conceded the point on Carowinds and white water center. So in the end your point is?
Even though there's NOTHING in Charlotte you could compare the NC Museums Natural Sciences,History and Art in Raleigh.
https://youtu.be/0DQic9buUfI
On second thought let's call it a draw on Carowinds. I much prefer the museums. I don't have a desire to go whitewater rafting so I'm indifferent.
Mutiny you know as well as I do. The last thing people go to CIAA for are the basketball games.
I believe the CIAA "shootings" were a publicity stunt by an independent rapper from Memphis called Young Dolph. 100 shots were fired but nobody was hit. Secondly, the truck that was shot was bulletproof. The alleged target of the shooting was Young Dolph who recently dropped an entire album that talks about the shooting.

Because of C-D's tos, I doubt I'm allowed to link you to Young Dolph's music video (explicit langauge). However, you can go onto youtube and search "Young Dolph In Charlotte official music video" and see the publicity stunt shooting incident for yourself. The entire video looked like Dolph had help from the Charlotte Chamber. That's just my opinion though. It could've been a real shooting. I have serious doubts about that.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I believe the CIAA "shootings" were a publicity stunt by an independent rapper from Memphis called Young Dolph. 100 shots were fired but nobody was hit. Secondly, the truck that was shot was bulletproof. The alleged target of the shooting was Young Dolph who recently dropped an entire album that talks about the shooting.

Because of C-D's tos, I doubt I'm allowed to link you to Young Dolph's music video (explicit langauge). However, you can go onto youtube and search "Young Dolph In Charlotte official music video" and see the publicity stunt shooting incident for yourself. The entire video looked like Dolph had help from the Charlotte Chamber. That's just my opinion though. It could've been a real shooting. I have serious doubts about that.
Not a real shooting you say. Staged you say?
https://youtu.be/ncKvFfeglu4

Even if this years shots fired,shooting whatever you call it was staged. Btw that's bs. If that is true,seems to happen every year. Are all of the incidents staged? The nightclub shooting from last year. Or I'm sure you remember the mess at the Sheraton in 2014.

https://youtu.be/PbRnsim1PRI

Frankly y'all can keep that mess!!! Your leaders need to get control of that crap,before it's too late.
I'd be so embarrassed if that was going on in Raleigh EVERY YEAR!!

That just reminded me of the riots in Uptown Charlotte. Pitiful and classless.

I'll just say I'm glad we handled our own potentially explosive situation with class,thankfully.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Forgive me if this has already been discussed , but how much do you think that the recent law passed in Raleigh for the entire state to follow was due to Raleigh vs Charlotte rivalry? Is Raleigh jealous of Charlotte? Charlotte certainly seems to have more to lose than Raleigh when you weigh in the reaction of the professional sports leagues (NBA, nfl, reacting harshly, whereas nhl honesty prob doesn't care enough to do much plus not much nhl stuff happening anyway in Raleigh).

It's just sad that the city that tried to stand up for people and be open minded will likely be the one hurt the most.
After nearly 70 pages, I will attempt to answer the OP's questions. HB2 probably had nothing to do with Raleigh vs Charlotte. It was all about liberal vs conservative politics. The John Locke Foundation (based in Raleigh) certainly had a lot to do with it, but the city of Raleigh as well as Wake county did not. Is Raleigh jealous of Charlotte? That's a tough one to answer. Charlotte is the only city/metro in NC with a larger population, higher tourism, and higher numerical growth than the Triangle. Those facts alone aren't enough to make the Triangle jealous of Charlotte. However, it does make Charlotte an online/media target to those who are proudest of the Triangle.

Now that HB2 is mostly gone (as well as the governor who signed it) the next step for NC is to remove the stain that HB2 left. Liberal NC cities vs other liberal NC cities does NOTHING towards that goal. Asheville/Charlotte/Raleigh/Durham/Wilmington/Greensboro/Winston-Salem etc need to unite and fight the backwards stupidity that seems to come from our GA.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Clearly the tournament has evovled beyond just being a basketball tournament but at its heart, that's what it's still all about.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Not a real shooting you say. Staged you say?
https://youtu.be/ncKvFfeglu4

Even if this years shots fired,shooting whatever you call it was staged. Btw that's bs. If that is true,seems to happen every year. Are all of the incidents staged? The nightclub shooting from last year. Or I'm sure you remember the mess at the Sheraton in 2014.

https://youtu.be/PbRnsim1PRI

Frankly y'all can keep that mess!!! Your leaders need to get control of that crap,before it's too late.
I'd be so embarrassed if that was going on in Raleigh EVERY YEAR!!

That just reminded me of the riots in Uptown Charlotte. Pitiful and classless.

I'll just say I'm glad we handled our own potentially explosive situation with class,thankfully.
Unfortunately, that's just one of the downsides of big city living and you have to take the good with the bad. If Raleigh truly has big city aspirations, it will eventually have to deal with similar situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina