Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 10,172 times

Advertisements

I have family in the Charlotte area and have been to NC about twice so far. I'll be graduating soon from my graduate program and thinking about moving down to a city/town close to Charlotte (2 hr drive radius). I'm from a decent size town in Wisconsin with some diversity and plan to start a family soon once I relocate there. After doing some minor research, Pinehurst came up on the radar and it has good reviews but I wanted to get some locals perspective of the area. I am of asian descent and wondering how diverse the area is, how the public schools are, traffic and crime rates. It also looks like the area is booming which probably means economy is good.

The type of city/town I hope to live is the type of town that I can bike and run outside, have a decent size yard (at least .3 acres), with safe parks close by to take my kids to in the future. Not looking for a city that has a lot of traffic nor high in crime. Suburbs are preferred.

Other cities I'm also looking at/considering is Clemmons, Stallings/Mathews and Gastonia. If you've been to those areas or know of other locations, I would appreciate your input and suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Eagleexplorer; 11-15-2017 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 11:03 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,319,314 times
Pinehurst is primarily a retirement and resort area built around golf. Its not very diverse and there's not a lot for folks under 50 to do, unless you love golf.

Clemmons is a suburb of Winston-Salem...its nice enough, very cookie cutter and bland, and has good schools. Same for Matthews. Gastonia is a bit more downscale and the schools aren't as good.

Is there some reason you don't want to live IN Charlotte, or another city like Winston-Salem. Thats probably where you'll be working anyway (whats your masters in?).

Old 11-15-2017, 11:06 AM

I avoid bigger cities just because I don't want to sit in traffic and with bigger cities comes increase of crime.
I'll be getting my masters in rehab therapy.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleexplorer View Post
I avoid bigger cities just because I don't want to sit in traffic and with bigger cities comes increase of crime.
I'll be getting my masters in Occupational therapy.
Well, the best way to avoid sitting in traffic is to live close to your job. Cities have more job opportunities that small suburbs.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:39 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,246,220 times
You sound like someone who might like Cary or Apex a lot.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:48 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,492,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You sound like someone who might like Cary or Apex a lot.
What about traffic, which the OP wants to avoid?

I think the OP would like Winston-Salem. It's not all that big and offers everything he/she is looking for.... especially healthcare jobs.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,246,220 times
Traffic around Winston and Greensboro is horrible. It almost never fails that we get stuck in stop and go traffic going through there to Boone, no matter if it's a weekday or weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Well, the best way to avoid sitting in traffic is to live close to your job. Cities have more job opportunities that small suburbs.
I think this is the best advice! Find the job first then worry about the place.

I wouldn't recommend Pinehurst, though, for a young single person. It's heavily marketed as a retirement destination.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the many advice. I wasn't sure what pinehurst had to offer which is why I started this thread. I'm mainly looking for a nice quiet safe place to settle down and start a family. As a future healthcare worker in therapy, finding a job would not be a problem. My goal was to find a few cities I like then look for jobs in those area or in surrounding area. I wouldn't mind commuting 30-45mins to get to work, I prefer to not be stuck in traffic jams.

Any other locations within the 2 hour drive radius of Charlotte that you guys would recommend?

Old 11-16-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Traffic around Winston and Greensboro is horrible.
Traffic in the Triangle (and Charlotte for that matter) is several orders of magnitude worse than the Triad

Old 11-16-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleexplorer View Post
Thanks for the many advice. I wasn't sure what pinehurst had to offer which is why I started this thread. I'm mainly looking for a nice quiet safe place to settle down and start a family. As a future healthcare worker in therapy, finding a job would not be a problem. My goal was to find a few cities I like then look for jobs in those area or in surrounding area. I wouldn't mind commuting 30-45mins to get to work, I prefer to not be stuck in traffic jams.

Any other locations within the 2 hour drive radius of Charlotte that you guys would recommend?
Cary and Apex are 2 and 1/2 hours from Charlotte, as an fyi. Winston-Salem would be a place for you, I think, along with the western suburban areas (i.e. Clemmons) that you already mentioned. Davidson is a charming small town north of Charlotte. Huntersville might be a good option too. Some people rave about Ft. Mill, SC just south of Charlotte.

I'm not sure how to say it again, but its very possible that if you have a 30 to 45 minute commute, you'll spend much of that time in a "traffic jam", especially around Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina