Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 01:56 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me where SouthEnd ends and Uptown Charlotte begins in this picture.

Charlotte Skyline – Spring 2011 - MetroScenes.com – City Skyline and Urban Photography and Prints by Matt Robinson – City Photos and Prints for Sale

Old 05-10-2017, 02:57 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
A little bit north of the pink building. I consider the area inside I-277 to be Uptown, and the area between the southern part of I-277 and Remount Rd to be South End.

Last edited by nicholas_n; 05-10-2017 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 AM

464 posts, read 522,887 times
I guess Charlotte is the only real city in NC. How much bigger is it in comparison to the Triangle in population? I'm guessing 3x the size right? It has NASCAR, Carowinds, and taller buildings.

It's on Atlanta's level it seems.

Raleigh/The Triangle can't compete.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:58 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Mmm, the block that is being built with the new BoA building, the cities new 4th tallest, will be getting a second office tower probably anchored by US Bank.

Also, the first 4 floors will be 48k sq. Feet and probably be like Columbus mall. And of course, there will be a couple apartment towers around 30 floors.

It has to be the biggest development in the cities history.

And on another note. Charlotte & Raleigh both had huge job announcements the other day. I think Raleigh like 1200 and Charlotte like 600 with high paying jobs. The economic engines of the state

Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
I guess Charlotte is the only real city in NC. How much bigger is it in comparison to the Triangle in population? I'm guessing 3x the size right? It has NASCAR, Carowinds, and taller buildings.

Spot on!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:14 AM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post

I wouldn't say that! The Triangle has one of the most prominent research parks in the U.S., tons of competitive universities, a great arts scene, and by far the best museums in the state. No, it's no NYC, but just going by city population, Raleigh is almost as populated as Atlanta.

Atlanta: ~460,000 2015.

Charlotte: ~810,000 in 2014.

Raleigh: ~450,000 in 2015.

The metro areas are where Atlanta clobbers us.

Atlanta metro: ~5.7 million in in 2015.

Charlotte metro: ~2.4 million in 2014.

Raleigh metro: ~1.2 million in 2013.

The population of the combined statistical area of the Triangle is a little over 2.7 million, so it's not like we're just some little town in the middle of nowhere!

I do agree with you though, Raleigh doesn't seem as big as Charlotte, and I think it's mainly due to each city's respective downtown (or, in Charlotte's case, uptown) areas. I go back and forth between Raleigh and Charlotte several times a month, and the amount of development and number of tall buildings in uptown Charlotte is simply ridiculous when compared to Raleigh. Raleigh has much more restrictive building height caps than Charlotte though; I believe that Raleigh has limited building heights to 40 levels along Fayetteville St, 20 levels throughout most of the rest of downtown, and 12 levels or less pretty much everywhere else. I think North Hills might be capped at 20 stories though.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:24 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I wouldn't say that! The Triangle has one of the most prominent research parks in the U.S., tons of competitive universities, a great arts scene, and by far the best museums in the state. No, it's no NYC, but just going by city population, Raleigh is almost as populated as Atlanta.

Atlanta: ~460,000 2015.

Charlotte: ~810,000 in 2014.

Raleigh: ~450,000 in 2015.

The metro areas are where Atlanta clobbers us.

Atlanta metro: ~5.7 million in in 2015.

Charlotte metro: ~2.4 million in 2014.

Raleigh metro: ~1.2 million in 2013.

The population of the combined statistical area of the Triangle is a little over 2.7 million, so it's not like we're just some little town in the middle of nowhere!

I do agree with you though, Raleigh doesn't seem as big as Charlotte, and I think it's mainly due to each city's respective downtown (or, in Charlotte's case, uptown) areas. I go back and forth between Raleigh and Charlotte several times a month, and the amount of development and number of tall buildings in uptown Charlotte is simply ridiculous when compared to Raleigh. Raleigh has much more restrictive building height caps than Charlotte though; I believe that Raleigh has limited building heights to 40 levels along Fayetteville St, 20 levels throughout most of the rest of downtown, and 12 levels or less pretty much everywhere else. I think North Hills might be capped at 20 stories though.
He's being facetious. This is a common refrain of his; don't go through all this trouble next time.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:30 PM

926 posts, read 827,250 times
Charlotte being only 2x the size of Raleigh is surprising. It feels like it's 3x or 4x larger. Charlotte is a lot more urban than Raleigh which I like. Raleigh is by no means as major as Charlotte, I feel like Raleigh is just a typical city that happens to have a IT industry. Charlotte on the other hand has multiple industries including IT Finance and Manufacturing.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:47 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
There is no street in North Carolina that has $2.7 Billion investment panned & under construction like what is in the Stonewall Street corridor in uptown Charlotte.

In 2015 Charlotte was 827,099
In 2015 Raleigh was 451,066

Old 05-11-2017, 06:10 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
No there was no boosterism from me. I am a true Charlottean who returns quite often. I was responding to those in this thread who erroneausly and blatantly were dishonest when comparing certain parts of Charlotte to Raleigh and also in stating they have similar amenities.i have no animosity or disdain for Raleigh but the truth is certain people in this forum try to put Raleigh on Charlotte's level and it's not. It is what it is. Those same amenities I listed in Charlotte, Raleigh would kill for. It is these same amenities that others find appealing in other big cities. It is what it is....Bless your heart....
Frankly I'm curious about what all the "amenities" are that Charlotte has that Raleigh doesn't? Could you help us all out by explaining what they are. I'll concede light rail and the Whitewater center. I've thrown this question out there quite a few times. Never really received a real answer. The usual response is taller buildings and more urban. I'd consider that kind thin.

Also when comparing south end and Hillsborough street. Most people consider Cameron Village in the Hillsborough street conversation. They're basically the same area. Being developed into one area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina