Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 07:46 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Charlotte’s momentum is pulling it ahead in development and the built environment.

But that isn’t the sole element of value in quantifying great cities.

The Triangle’s continued success focusing on quality of life elements and worry-free good public schools makes it a stand-out as one of the nation’s best places to raise a family for the middle class.

Some of the highest-valued areas in the country don’t allow any growth.

Chapel Hill comes to mind.

I honestly don’t think many in Raleigh want the intense city environment being created in Charlotte.
Raleigh just doesn't have the driving factors for that "intense city environment." Charlotte is more corporate and Uptown is the largest employment center and most prominent business district in the metro. That dynamic simply doesn't exist in Raleigh with an economy more built on research/tech/higher ed/government and suburban RTP being the biggest single employment center of the region.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:52 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,437,853 times
People Have a choice where they want to live. I have family in Raleigh and I live in Charlotte. I have lived in Raleigh and Cary. Great place to live.

From 2010 to 2016 110,627 people choose to move to Charlotte.
From 2010 to 2017 54,988 people chose to move to Raleigh.

This does not mean that Charlotte is better than Raleigh, but it has a big job market in energy, finance, health care, manufacturing, entertainment.
Transportation
https://charlottechamber.com/clientu...nLogistics.pdf

Comparing Charlotte and Raleigh is like trying to compare apples and oranges.

Last edited by CLT1985; 11-03-2017 at 08:04 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 08:02 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,388,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
People Have a choice where they want to live. I have family in Raleigh and I live in Charlotte. I have lived in Raleigh and Cary. Great place to live.

From 2010 to 2016 110,627 people choose to move to Charlotte.
From 2010 to 2017 54,988 people chose to move to Raleigh.

This does not mean that Charlotte is better than Raleigh, but it has a big job market in energy, finance, health care, manufacturing, entertainment and transportation.
Comparing Charlotte and Raleigh is like trying to compare apples and oranges.
But you just compared them using a statistic that is apples to oranges.

Charlotte's land area is much larger and you added a year to Raleigh. Even though Charlotte's land area is bigger, the growth is occurring more dense while vast swaths of Charlotte remains very underdeveloped. But still.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:24 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,674,718 times
Visited Charlotte this past weekend and it was a good time. Totally different vibe from Raleigh. Much more urban and congested feeling (not in a bad way though). My girlfriend is a southern girl born and raised in Raleigh. She'd never been to Charlotte before and thought traffic on 85 was horrible lol. She even commented how tight the lanes were in the city streets. I think she appreciates Raleigh a lot more now.

The downtown or Uptown area in Charlotte seems really corporate but was a fun time with all the Halloween festivities going on. We need to go back and explore the other neighborhoods like Plaza Midwood and NODA. I've heard great things about them.

Just from my experiences, it seems the more east you go in NC, the more chill and laid back the cities seem. Probably due to the proximity to the ocean I imagine. Wilmington was so awesome and so laid back when I visited a month or two back. Charlotte didn't seem like anything overwhelming, but didn't seem like Raleigh in a lot of ways.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:36 AM

The River District

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnHFWQvMAkw

Development Progress in South End - Charlotte, NC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNGU0FTlz1M

Old 11-03-2017, 12:12 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Visited Charlotte this past weekend and it was a good time. Totally different vibe from Raleigh. Much more urban and congested feeling (not in a bad way though). My girlfriend is a southern girl born and raised in Raleigh. She'd never been to Charlotte before and thought traffic on 85 was horrible lol. She even commented how tight the lanes were in the city streets. I think she appreciates Raleigh a lot more now.

The downtown or Uptown area in Charlotte seems really corporate but was a fun time with all the Halloween festivities going on. We need to go back and explore the other neighborhoods like Plaza Midwood and NODA. I've heard great things about them.

Just from my experiences, it seems the more east you go in NC, the more chill and laid back the cities seem. Probably due to the proximity to the ocean I imagine. Wilmington was so awesome and so laid back when I visited a month or two back. Charlotte didn't seem like anything overwhelming, but didn't seem like Raleigh in a lot of ways.
I'm not sure about that. Asheville is pretty laid back too. Maybe its the presence of lots of vacationers and retirees in the mountains and along the coast.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:18 PM

Here is more development in uptown Charlotte.

Belk Place Under Construction. Renovations at the Carolina Theater and add a 25 floor InterContinental Hotel

Starts construction 4 qt 2017 Grand Bohemian Hotel

10 Tryon offices and a Public grocery store.

Stonewall Station- (UC) Whole Foods grocery store --
Even Hotel and Home2 Hotel

Last edited by CLT1985; 11-03-2017 at 05:48 PM..

Old 11-03-2017, 08:22 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,141 times
Does Charlotte Need More Parks?

Different cities value different things.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:16 AM

Charlotte just built 2 new parks uptown. Mecklenburg County is in charge of building parks in Charlotte.

https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/Pa...s/default.aspx

Old 11-04-2017, 07:36 AM

743 posts, read 825,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Does Charlotte Need More Parks?

Different cities value different things.
Charlotte does need more green space but lack of it has more to do with Parks&Rec being funded & operated by Mecklenburg County instead of city priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.