Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I didn't do anything. Ive just been referencing what's been published and asking if anyone has info that says otherwise. As far as i understand there is a Charlotte nc metro area. Then there is a slightly larger CSA that includes Rock Hill and what not. Everything I've read seems to be only talking about NC numbers since it is a NC city.

And if those numbers ARE including people from SC then actually that lines up even more favorably with the NCDOTs projections because the current Charlotte population would actually be lower in NC.
Rock Hill is in York County which is part of the Charlotte MSA.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:42 AM

743 posts, read 825,933 times
Quote:
Ok just to air this out. I totaled all the counties quickly from each metro from 2010 - 2016 and tried to get some rough averages. Remember these are averages. Obviously from year to year that can swing up or down.

Charlotte total has grown about 42,600 per year. Charlotte minus SC counties 35,000.
Triangle has grown 41,000.

Charlotte's population from all NC counties is just shy of 2.1m {2016 estimate)
The Triangles population from strictly the census included counties and not the liberal or more conservative regional definition, is 2.2m+ (2015 estimate).

So idk when the NCDOT estimated the two regions but it i guess the overtaking already happened.

Now again for the last time. No that does not mean The Triangle is bigger then Charlotte. But this was brought up in the first place because of the mention of the NCDOT and it looks like even they were off on there prediction by quite a bit as far as NC boundaries go. Its pretty meaningless overall.
And again I have never said the Triangle's CSA population wouldn't surpass the NC portion of the Charlotte MSA. But if we're being technical then the NC portion of Charlotte's CSA & the Triangle's CSA are equal at roughly 2.2 million.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:55 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
And again I have never said the Triangle's CSA population wouldn't surpass the NC portion of the Charlotte MSA. But if we're being technical then the NC portion of Charlotte's CSA & the Triangle's CSA are equal at roughly 2.2 million.
I never said you did. I literally was just making points in reference to what the NCDOT probably is looking at when they estimated the Triangle metro would be the largest NC metro. Overall its completely meaningless but shouldnt be dismissed like it was an impossible notion. Even still i hint that unwillingness to let it go. I just ran the numbers and the Triangle is larger from 2015 numbers vs charlottes 2016 numbers yet its still "well we're equal at 2.2m" lol. Which is fine honestly i just dont understand why I get the vibe of "Charlotte HAS to dominate everything."

To whoever it concerns im not trying to prove this as some swinging dick contest. This statistic pretty much means nothing. But its there. I even learned that with continued trends Charlotte as a whole will probably always stay just ahead of The Triangle population wise. And thats totally cool. Both are surging powerhouses, its great for NC as a whole.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 AM

743 posts, read 825,933 times
Quote:
I never said you did. I literally was just making points in reference to what the NCDOT probably is looking at when they estimated the Triangle metro would be the largest NC metro. Overall its completely meaningless but shouldnt be dismissed like it was an impossible notion. Even still i hint that unwillingness to let it go. I just ran the numbers and the Triangle is larger from 2015 numbers vs charlottes 2016 numbers yet its still "well we're equal at 2.2m" lol. Which is fine honestly i just dont understand why I get the vibe of "Charlotte HAS to dominate everything."

To whoever it concerns im not trying to prove this as some swinging dick contest. This statistic pretty much means nothing. But its there. I even learned that with continued trends Charlotte as a whole will probably always stay just ahead of The Triangle population wise. And thats totally cool. Both are surging powerhouses, its great for NC as a whole.
I could care less about whether or not Charlotte dominates anything period. I plainly stated that the Triangle will likely have the largest percentage of NC's metro population, Wake county will surpass Mecklenburg at some point also it really is not that big of a deal to me. The issue was you based a population guesstimate on info that wasn't 100% accurate which I also clearly pointed out & you verified for yourself.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:49 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times
As Charlotte metro goes, it always have 3 counties and sometime more are counties depending on the article.
If you are in Charlotte you will see many cars from SC and likewise the same on SC with NC cars.

Charlotte and Fort Mill SC city limits meet at the state line. So it like diving from Raleigh to Cary.

I know a person from Rock Hill that works at CMS.
And there are people from Charlotte going to SC for work.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I could care less about whether or not Charlotte dominates anything period. I plainly stated that the Triangle will likely have the largest percentage of NC's metro population, Wake county will surpass Mecklenburg at some point also it really is not that big of a deal to me. The issue was you based a population guesstimate on info that wasn't 100% accurate which I also clearly pointed out & you verified for yourself.
Well i didnt mean just you. But its all good 👍👍

Old 11-09-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
As Charlotte metro goes, it always have 3 counties and sometime more are counties depending on the article.
If you are in Charlotte you will see many cars from SC and likewise the same on SC with NC cars.

Charlotte and Fort Mill SC city limits meet at the state line. So it like diving from Raleigh to Cary.

I know a person from Rock Hill that works at CMS.
And there are people from Charlotte going to SC for work.
Yeah absolutely. I have friends that live in Rock Hill as well. Im in no way saying the SC portion of Charlottes metro isnt real or something. I was just speaking in reference for statistical numbers based on NC alone.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:29 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times
Quote:
Yeah absolutely. I have friends that live in Rock Hill as well. Im in no way saying the SC portion of Charlottes metro isnt real or something. I was just speaking in reference for statistical numbers based on NC alone.
From the Herald Sun
Durham was the fourth-fastest growing metro area in 2016, according to census data | The Herald Sun

Raleigh Metro plus Durham-Chapel Hill Metro 2016 population is approx. 1.860,000
Charlotte Metro 2016 population is approx. 2.5 Million

People need to get over the 3 SC counties in Charlotte Metro. If you look up major metro areas in SC, you will not find York, Lancaster, and Chester Counties listed. That is because they come under Charlotte Metro. Many people from these counties come to work in North Carolina.

Last edited by CLT1985; 11-09-2017 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 12:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Why such a pissing contest over which metro will have more humans in it by XXX date? What ultimately is the big deal? Both are growing tremendously.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
From the Herald Sun
Durham was the fourth-fastest growing metro area in 2016, according to census data | The Herald Sun

Raleigh Metro plus Durham-Chapel Hill Metro 2016 population is approx. 1.860,000
Charlotte Metro 2016 population is approx. 2.5 Million

People need to get over the 3 SC counties in Charlotte Metro. If you look up major metro areas in SC, you will not find York, Lancaster, and Chester Counties listed. That is because they come under Charlotte Metro. Many people from these counties come to work in North Carolina.
Im a little confused as to if you are agreeing with me in a weird kind of way by still passively agressively putting the Triangle down...?
Getting kinda over this conversation. I ran all the official numbers i could already why are we still posting about it. But anyways, The Herald Sun is counting Durham metro and Raleigh metro. But just the two alone arent what make up the entire Triangle. If we're rounding up lol, yes Charlottes metro is by now im sure around 2.5million. The Triangle is around 2.3m somewhere. They both are roughly the same land area. Is anybody still confused by this?

I dont see anybody having a hard time accepting that Charlotte has 3 counties apart of its metro in SC. Thats just the way it is. But theres certain little statistics that we were talking about that are referencing North Carolina specifically. Thats all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina