Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 09:51 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Why do you think Charlotte is bad? I think Charlotte is a nice city in comparison...

By the way, Charlotte also has twice the land mass of Raleigh. Why not brag about that?

A lot of Charlotte 300 sq. miles does not have houses on them.

They are covered with warehouses, MFG. plants, Malls, office parks, airport stand along retail
roads, water., parks, and public buildings (schools-hospitals-jail-court house city hall, etc.) entertainment.

So having a bigger city limits, do not mean it all will be cover with houses and apartments. The west side of I77 South is mostly an industrial park with some housing.

I do not think it is nothing to brag about. Look at Atlanta with is a small size city than Charlotte but has a larger metro. Same as Miami.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:06 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
A lot of Charlotte 300 sq. miles does not have houses on them.

They are covered with warehouses, MFG. plants, Malls, office parks, airport stand along retail
roads, water., parks, and public buildings (schools-hospitals-jail-court house city hall, etc.) entertainment.

So having a bigger city limits, do not mean it all will be cover with houses and apartments. The west side of I77 South is mostly an industrial park with some housing.

I do not think it is nothing to brag about. Look at Atlanta with is a small size city than Charlotte but has a larger metro. Same as Miami.
You're right. Charlotte is over twice the size of Miami, Atlanta, Minneapolis, etc. Ok, I understand your perspective.

Washington D.C. needs to get their act together if they want to compete with Charlotte. That's just my opinion...

Old 02-06-2018, 11:10 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Why do you think Charlotte is bad? I think Charlotte is a nice city in comparison...

By the way, Charlotte also has twice the land mass of Raleigh. Why not brag about that?

I feel like you already know these answers maybe or you’re not as smart as I thought you were.

Land area:

Annexation is very smart policy. If it wasn’t for Charlottes annexation and all those tax dollars from “the wedge,” the city would be completely different. It would be a dump. It would be a stagnant slum. And likewise, Ballantyne, Huntersville, All the wealthier white sections of the county and city wouldn’t be nearly what they are without being part of the city. It’s all about everyone paying their fair share. It allowed CLT to invest in itself. It allows CLT to control growth. It allows CLT to coordinate its urban planning and ATL is an example of how small city limits can hamper initiatives sometimes. MARTA for example.

Cities don’t annex for bragging rights. That’s stupid. And no one takes city limit size serious nor it’s density when it comes to southern cities. Nashville and jacksonville for example have a City-County form of government so their population size is literally their county. It’s for efficiency.

Raleigh and especially Austin for example has wonkier city limits than CLT. It’s about needs. It’s about planning and zero to do with “lolz, we bigger.”

I’m not sure what your first half meant, maybe you meant metro CLT vs. Mecklenburg. I hate or border counties. I cringe at them. Lincoln, Gaston, Iredell. Bleh! Do you know how much people in Meck sneer at some of our neighbors? Gaston in particular?

The biggest difference between what separates Raleigh from Charlotte is Raleigh has a significantly larger population of white folks than CLT. That’s why our stats in crime, education, income are lower. And unfortunately this is a problem that effects many, many cities, states and municipalities including Raleigh.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:22 AM

It’s also pretty obvious Charlotte and Durham rank lower than Raleigh in education, income, crime, etc because of our black population is larger than white washed Raleigh. Again, it’s a terrible problem and it’s not like Raleigh has solved the problem either. Besides I guess having more white people...

Durham:

Quote:

Durham County has the second highest violent crime rate in the state, at 785 per 100,000 residents. Robeson County was at the top of list with 915.4 per 100,000. Wake County came in at 246.5.

https://www.google.com/amp/abc11.com...-2015/1684207/
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

So yes, Charlotte is more dumb, poor and uncultured because our African American community, like most around the country, has and continues to face institutionalized racism.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 06:17 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
It’s also pretty obvious Charlotte and Durham rank lower than Raleigh in education, income, crime, etc because of our black population is larger than white washed Raleigh. Again, it’s a terrible problem and it’s not like Raleigh has solved the problem either. Besides I guess having more white people...

Durham:

The last time I checked Crime is directly related to poverty and poor education. Not race. Should the black citizens who bust their butts for this country that socially engineers exploitive genetic extinction take you seriously?

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.” -Mark Twain

Old 02-06-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
The last time I checked Crime is directly related to poverty and poor education. Not race. Should the black citizens who bust their butts for this country that socially engineers exploitive genetic extinction take you seriously?

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.” -Mark Twain

So you want to ignore the problems of instituonal racism because it’s such a terrible thing?

If you look up the most dangerous cities in NC. The most dangerous counties. Most dangerous portions of cities in N.C. The lowest income areas of the cities in N.C. The areas underperforming educationally. It seems generally to be in areas that are predominately black.

Of course that has nothing to do with race, rather that black people have had an unfair shake do to the injustices of our country over the years and the continued institutionalized racism (school districts, for example) that continues.

You wanted to know why CLT lags. There you go. We have a larger share of “poverty and poor education” in CLT, Durham, Goldsboro, etc Or as I call, institutionalized racism.

So if you want to go on and rag on CLT (or Durham for that matter), all your poor education comments are really just insults to the great people of West & East Charlotte who suffer injustices continually. Which happens to be areas that are north of 80% black.

Maybe more people should quit worrying about standing for a flag and worrying about standing up for a portion of Our citizens that are screwed even when it comes to voting rights

Best high school Charlotte: Providence (11% Black)
Worst high school Charlotte: West Charlotte (86% BlaCk)

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-06-2018 at 12:08 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 11:49 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
We are now housing homeless so they do not freeze.
Just because a person is homeless does not mean they do not have a job. I help some at our room in the inn at our church and I can tell you that you will find all kinds of people. We even have families to come. The problem is that they can not find a job that pays a living wage. Some work two jobs and still can not find a place to live.

Is their something wrong with this picture. You work 2 jobs and can't make enough money to find a place to live.
The people who work on the lower wage scale are taken advantage of so many time.

The push for a livable wage in country has hit many road blocks. Until this country get a heart nothing will happen.

Not all the black people in Charlotte are uneducated, many have a very good job good education and are good citizens of Charlotte.

As a white person I will never judge our black citizens in Charlotte as a lower class.
I know too many who are doing well think you.

Last edited by CLT1985; 02-06-2018 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:

You wanted to know why CLT lags. There you go. We have a larger share of “poverty and poor education” in CLT, Durham, Goldsboro, etc Or as I call, institutionalized racism.

So if you want to go on and rag on CLT (or Durham for that matter), all your poor education comments are really just insults to the great people of West & East Charlotte who suffer injustices continually. Which happens to be areas that are north of 80% black.

Maybe more people should quit worrying about standing for a flag and worrying about standing up for a portion of Our citizens that are screwed even when it comes to voting rights
I believe that should have been initially clarified...

Raleigh has a crime problem, don't let the stats fool you. The gentrification process in this country manipulates the media, statistics, voting rights, education process, etc. That's the American Way!

I'm quite sure correlating crime with someone's race is quite offensive to anyone, regardless of skin color. Think about that.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:57 PM

I’m sure you twos “judgement” will help as much as sending “prayers” to Houston after Harvey.

I’m ready to tackle issues of our struggling African-American communities. From underfunding in education, police brutality and other issues.

And in every metric... areas where black people are 70%+ in CLT underperform in every metric compared to the white 70%+ areas. Is that not alarming to you? That’s not because of someone’s skin color, that’s because the system is messed up. And I’m sorry for you if you can’t see that.

Go visit our underperforming schools. Go into west Charlotte. Go to our top schools. Go to south Charlotte. Tell me if you don’t think there’s anything jarring about the situation

Old 02-06-2018, 01:05 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
It’s also pretty obvious Charlotte and Durham rank lower than Raleigh in education, income, crime, etc because of our black population is larger than white washed Raleigh.
While Raleigh is majority White, I wouldn't call a city that's 54% White "white washed" at all.

Quote:
I'm quite sure correlating crime with someone's race is quite offensive to anyone, regardless of skin color. Think about that.
I'm Black and I don't deny the correlation that exists between race and crime; however, that's because the more significant correlation is between poverty and crime and in this country, race and poverty are strongly linked. And this did not happen by accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina