Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 04:22 PM

186 posts, read 172,451 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about this lately and reading about all of the transplants to NC and the attitudes towards them which causes me to pose the question.

The first 17 years of my life were in NY... I have now lived away from NY longer than I lived in it. I have spent none of my adult life there and out of the 20ish years of my adult life I have spent most of it in the Carolinas. There is no attachment and people can't tell that I grew up there.

We have chosen to settle down in NC, bought a house and don't plan on leaving ever. In your opinion, do you have to be born somehere to be from somewhere? Or do you have to be at a place by a certain age to be from there? Can you live in a place for decades and not be from there?

My children are young and most likely will consider themselves from NC and I would like to think in a few years I will be from NC too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 04:52 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,367,097 times
Good thread. My parents moved from Chicago to Florida in 1985, and they don't consider themselves from there when people ask. They've been down there so long. And I spent 20 of my 26 years in Florida, so I do say Florida when people ask...but it's not really home for me. I like it here in NC.

I say you are from NC.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:23 PM

238 posts, read 230,767 times
Just curious, NY as in NY State or NYC???

Old 04-09-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
Just curious, NY as in NY State or NYC???
Long Island... 20 miles from "the city" . My mother sounds like a Saturday Night Live Skit. Any accent I did have went away from 5 years of undergrad and grad school in NC.

Last edited by andherewego; 04-09-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 05:58 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,518,936 times
Here's my take on it. The question can be coming from several directions. It might be idle curiosity, an attempt at chit-chat, or maybe the person picked up something in your accent. If it's another transplant or a younger native, tell them, the town that you moved from. If I were you, I'd tell an older native that you left NY when you were 17 & you've been in the Carolinas since then. The older native may have picked up something in your accent that you might not be aware of.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Here's my take on it. The question can be coming from several directions. It might be idle curiosity, an attempt at chit-chat, or maybe the person picked up something in your accent. If it's another transplant or a younger native, tell them, the town that you moved from. If I were you, I'd tell an older native that you left NY when you were 17 & you've been in the Carolinas since then. The older native may have picked up something in your accent that you might not be aware of.
We just moved here so people ask where we moved from. We haven't been in North and South Carolina the whole time... just the majority.....we spent a chunk overseas and in California among other places. I usually say I spent the first 17 years in NY, but have been bouncing around the world ever since. I guess I don't feel like I am from NY anymore and will start identifying as from here soon enough. It just seems once from NY/NJ always from NY/NJ. I was just wondering about other people's thoughts!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:47 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,518,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andherewego View Post
We just moved here so people ask where we moved from. We haven't been in North and South Carolina the whole time... just the majority.....we spent a chunk overseas and in California among other places. I usually say I spent the first 17 years in NY, but have been bouncing around the world ever since. I guess I don't feel like I am from NY anymore and will start identifying as from here soon enough. It just seems once from NY/NJ always from NY/NJ. I was just wondering about other people's thoughts!
I have different answers for different people because of where I live. The natives rarely ask me. They're just too polite. On the rare occasion that I'm asked by an older native they have picked up elements of my accent & they don't ask quickly.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:52 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,960,376 times
being from somewhere has a lot to do with your ancestors.

IMO it takes like 2 generations.

I'm sure your parents and grand parents were rooted to some place, that's where you're 'from'

Old 04-09-2016, 08:45 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,367,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andherewego View Post
That's my situation too. I moved out of Florida at age 20, I'm 26 now, and I've lived in multiple cities and countries in that time. Can't really call any of those places home. So I just say I'm from Florida but have lived all over.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:13 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,498,136 times
I think it's what's in your heart. You can always say that you grew up elsewhere, but that you're from NC... now... by choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina