U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2008, 03:34 PM

12 posts, read 168,238 times

Advertisements

So, how's the drinking water in NC?
I have read research noting NC as having the worst air quality in the nation due to numerous plants emitting toxins, such as mercury into the air. Also, it mentions that a large percentage of the lakes are off limits to swimmers and fishing due to contamination. Also, I am reading that a large portion of the pollution is coming from the nuclear power plants, such as Shearaton Harris near Raleigh.? Does anyone know if the waste from these plants are disposed of in NC?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the water/air quality in the greater Raleigh area? Have the lakes been cleaned? How about swimming/fishing in the waterways?

It is surprisng to me the number of power plants in the NC, SC states. Does that concern anyone? There are around +-10 plants in the Raleigh/Charlotte and SC border near Charlotte. Is that concerning...??
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 04:03 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,428,332 times
Not sure what your source is, but the American Lung Association has a very different ranking:
American Lung Association:*Air Pollution Facts & Air Quality Info - Best & Worst Cities - ALA State of the Air 2007 (http://lungaction.org/reports/sota07_cities.html#2 - broken link)

Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,342,243 times
The air around the Triangle is pretty good overall. I noticed when we were here over the summer that ozone pollution was rather bad on some days, particularly on days of high humidity and no breeze.

Bad air seems to be an occasional summertime thing. Maybe the long-term residents could offer more insight?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 PM

35,564 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Nuclear power plants are very clean and safe. The water used to cool the reactors never touches any sort of contaminants - so no radiation contamination.

I don't know what reports you have read, but we have had a drought so many areas are closed to boating and swimming b/c lake levels are down. We are in water conservation mode in this state.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:26 PM

7,473 posts, read 14,754,950 times
I've lived here my whole life and swam in the majority of the state's lakes. I'm not glowing green yet! But the drought has closed many swimming and fishing areas.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 PM

Just thought I'd post some sites for viewing

Health Issues - Page 3

Decontamination Of Harmful Toxins To Start Near Crabtree Lake :: WRAL.com

Taxpayers, Not Polluters, Pay to Clean Up North Carolina’s Toxic Waste Sites - Environment North Carolina (http://www.environmentnorthcarolina.org/newsroom/clean-water-news/clean-water-news/taxpayers-not-polluters-pay-to-clean-up-north-carolinas-toxic-waste-sites - broken link)

New Report Finds North Carolina Is 2nd Largest Releaser of Respiratory Toxicants in the Nation - NCPIRG (http://www.ncpirg.org/news-releases/chemical-safety-project/chemical-safety-project/new-report-finds-north-carolina-is-2nd-largest-releaser-of-respiratory-toxicants-in-the-nation - broken link)

WakeUp! Taxpayers for Good Growth Now :: www.WakeUpWakeCounty.com (http://www.wakeupwakecounty.com/environment.htm - broken link)

SACE - In Your State

Old 02-12-2008, 11:16 PM

Facing South: Radioactive water contamination found at N.C. nuke plant

Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 AM

648 posts, read 2,062,049 times
I'm glad you found the answer to your question. From the SACE link above:

The American Lung Association ranked three North Carolina cities in its top 25 most ozone-polluted cities:
14th-- Charlotte/Gastonia, NC area
16th-- Greensboro/Winston Salem/High Point, NC area
23rd-- Raleigh/Durham/Cary, NC area

So no, we probably don't have the worst air in the country, but it is worse than we like to believe. Yes, we have pretty bad ozone problems in the summer. Yes, we have chemical spills in area waterways. Yes, pollutants do affect our health. And to all who think otherwise: nuclear is NOT clean energy.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 AM

1,915 posts, read 2,855,672 times
Funny thing I've found about alot of people worried about air quality, resources...etc...they drive SUV's or other types of gashogs. (Not saying that's true in the case) I believe buying cars that do less damage to our atmosphere is a good start in keeping our air clean...not to mention less wear and tear on our roads.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:10 AM

67 posts, read 136,995 times
I too have lived here my whole life and everything is hunky dorey (that means okay). Bottom line...of course air quality has probably gone down over the past few years. How many people have moved to this state? How many extra cars does that put on our road ways and therefore puts out more pollution into the air? As for Shearon Harris, if people are dead against the very thing that puts the electricity in their homes then please go and figure out a better way to produce electricity so that can bew used instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina