Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:28 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Here is a very interesting experiment discussing the situation in North Carolina, with pro and con reactions......showing just how complicated this issue really is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CHt7EBCgJnI

Old 04-20-2016, 09:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Here is a very interesting experiment discussing the situation in North Carolina, with pro and con reactions......showing just how complicated this issue really is.
Joey salads is know for hiring actors to get his "negative" reactions.
Mod Edit

And that isn't the only joey salads video that gets ripped to shreds by reviewers.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 04-20-2016 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic video

Old 04-20-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Joey salads is know for hiring actors to get his "negative" reactions.

And that isn't the only joey salads video that gets ripped to shreds by reviewers.
He did not get only negative reactions. Did you even watch it? It covered both sides of the issue and showed various reactions. Pretty much how real life is and not as some people are portraying.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:46 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
He did not get only negative reactions. Did you even watch it? It covered both sides of the issue and showed various reactions. Pretty much how real life is and not as some people are portraying.
OK, believe the guy that has had almost every single one of his "experiments" debunked. No skin off of my nose.

Give it a couple of days and this video will be shredded like all of the others.

Mod Edit

The guy is well known for using actors in his "experiments" to get the negative reactions. He gets paid for every view his channel gets. He is laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 04-20-2016 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic videos

Old 04-20-2016, 11:37 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
The way I look at it is that Charlotte went too far in what they tried to do. Then the GA went too far in what they did.

The common thread between the two is that many of the people who back each group refuse to be open minded enough to listen to what the other side has to say, to listen to their personal experiences, to listen to their ideas and to try to work together to come up with a compromise.
The problem with the "bathroom" issue is, there really is NOT an easy "compromise" without doing one of several things that would not be feasible:

-ensuring single-occupant "gender neutral" bathrooms and shower rooms EVERYWHERE there are currently multi-occupant ones.
-providing "proof" that someone is transgender such as a "card" or something that must be shown any time someone's presence somewhere was challenged (Orwell, party of one?)

The first of these would satisfy pretty much everyone, I suspect (although the "Family" groups claim it would not--no, it's just about having a safe place to pee, not about making a 'statement' despite what they like to believe), but is simply not feasible. However, since it applies only to public buildings, I do think this is the direction we will head in, in the future and it's a good thing. There are plenty of cases where someone would need a "family" restroom to take an opposite-sex, non-child relative or protégé into a bathroom (physically handicapped child who is past puberty; elderly parent of opposite sex, etc) that is going to be awkward to the involved parties no matter which "M" or "W" room they use now. So perhaps the dialogue opened by the Charlotte case and the Virginia ruling will be a good thing.

There is simply no way to demand that someone "prove" that they are transgender, although ironically if HB2 had stood and people were getting arrested for using bathrooms, there would in fact be cases of people hauled to court having to "prove" that their birth certificate said one thing or the other.

We are going to find that the hang-wringing and angst about burly heterosexual male predators taking advantage of this "loophole" just to get a thrill and harass girls will never materialize, and in the very isolated cases where it might, people will just need to learn to leave a restroom if someone (of whatever gender) appears to be threatening/harassing them, which has always been true. In some bathrooms (empty bus stations at night, etc), it probably isn't a good idea to go in them anyway without a 'buddy' if possible. Whatever weirdos might conceivably try to enter the "wrong" bathroom for a thrill aren't going to do it in crowded situations, ever.

In the meantime, this ridiculous law which only used the "bathroom" hysteria to whip up the arch-conservatives into caring about the election, should be overturned, and if they want to find something closer to a compromise about this ONE issue, they should work thoughtfully on that and not go passing anything in a matter of hours.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The problem with the "bathroom" issue is, there really is NOT an easy "compromise" without doing one of several things that would not be feasible:

-ensuring single-occupant "gender neutral" bathrooms and shower rooms EVERYWHERE there are currently multi-occupant ones.
-providing "proof" that someone is transgender such as a "card" or something that must be shown any time someone's presence somewhere was challenged (Orwell, party of one?)

The first of these would satisfy pretty much everyone, I suspect (although the "Family" groups claim it would not--no, it's just about having a safe place to pee, not about making a 'statement' despite what they like to believe), but is simply not feasible. However, since it applies only to public buildings, I do think this is the direction we will head in, in the future and it's a good thing. There are plenty of cases where someone would need a "family" restroom to take an opposite-sex, non-child relative or protégé into a bathroom (physically handicapped child who is past puberty; elderly parent of opposite sex, etc) that is going to be awkward to the involved parties no matter which "M" or "W" room they use now. So perhaps the dialogue opened by the Charlotte case and the Virginia ruling will be a good thing.

There is simply no way to demand that someone "prove" that they are transgender, although ironically if HB2 had stood and people were getting arrested for using bathrooms, there would in fact be cases of people hauled to court having to "prove" that their birth certificate said one thing or the other.

We are going to find that the hang-wringing and angst about burly heterosexual male predators taking advantage of this "loophole" just to get a thrill and harass girls will never materialize, and in the very isolated cases where it might, people will just need to learn to leave a restroom if someone (of whatever gender) appears to be threatening/harassing them, which has always been true. In some bathrooms (empty bus stations at night, etc), it probably isn't a good idea to go in them anyway without a 'buddy' if possible. Whatever weirdos might conceivably try to enter the "wrong" bathroom for a thrill aren't going to do it in crowded situations, ever.

In the meantime, this ridiculous law which only used the "bathroom" hysteria to whip up the arch-conservatives into caring about the election, should be overturned, and if they want to find something closer to a compromise about this ONE issue, they should work thoughtfully on that and not go passing anything in a matter of hours.
My thought was that just about every facility I have ever been in not only had male and female rooms, but family or handicapped/neutral rooms that could be used by a transgender. However, as I found out in that recent court finding, he refused to use the individual room that was offered to him. On the surface, that seems like it is someone being difficult. Here are two out of three places you can use, but you say no, I want to use the one that I can't use.

Logically we would not want to have taxpayers and companies all have to pay to redo all the restroom and shower facilities. What a waste of money and resources. That certainly is not earth friendly.

I wonder what percentage of the population is transgender? I am handicapped and buildings/companies need to make "reasonable" accommodations for me, but they do not have to do everything I want. Such as the Y. I need to float vertically in 90+ degree water up to my neck multiple times a day, so I called around to different facilities. The Y is in our neighborhood. They said they keep their water at 80 degrees. That will not work for me. My physical needs are 90+ degrees, else my nerves will light up like crazy. It is unreasonable of me to expect them to make that accommodation, so I had to install a pool heater in my pool. So my point is, how many people do we need to accommodate and what would realistically be involved and at what price?

Old 04-20-2016, 04:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
This bill is not new and NCGA made attempt last year on Sept. 29 but it didnt make it to the floor. At that time it was amended into a bill about sex education, human trafficking,etc.
http://www.hrc.org/blog/sneak-attack...rights-at-risk

North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Bill 279 Information/History (2015-2016 Session)

Old 04-20-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This bill is not new and NCGA made attempt last year on Sept. 29 but it didnt make it to the floor. At that time it was amended into a bill about sex education, human trafficking,etc.
Sneak Attack in North Carolina General Assembly Puts LGBT Rights At Risk | Human Rights Campaign

North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Bill 279 Information/History (2015-2016 Session)
Interesting. Thx Sunny.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
In the last few weeks, North Carolina's image has taken a beating on the late night and comedy shows. I guess we really have morphed into "North Mississippi". I see a commercial done by the Democratic Party shows Pat McCrory looking like a "doofus in a suit" exclaiming that "he has taken our state backwards". Another shows how he signed off on lax pollution controls. Perhaps he can borrow this for a campaign slogan:

"Governor Pat McCrory ...proving every day that ..."The New South is the same as The Old South".

Having The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" might be appropriate background music!

Old 04-25-2016, 12:58 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
In the last few weeks, North Carolina's image has taken a beating on the late night and comedy shows. I guess we really have morphed into "North Mississippi". I see a commercial done by the Democratic Party shows Pat McCrory looking like a "doofus in a suit" exclaiming that "he has taken our state backwards". Another shows how he signed off on lax pollution controls. Perhaps he can borrow this for a campaign slogan:

"Governor Pat McCrory ...proving every day that ..."The New South is the same as The Old South".
How about, Pat McCrory, trying every day to turn North Carolina into the deep South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina