U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 08:30 PM

11,542 posts, read 12,643,177 times

Advertisements

Okay, it was probably 10 yrs ago that Panera came to town, but really, that's the new thing happening in town that is exciting?

I agree Fayetteville could be so much more. Downtown is better than it used to be, but it will always suffer from being so close to the projects until Grove View Terrace gets rebuilt. Looks like that is on track to happen: http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loca...45883059e.html .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,015,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Okay, it was probably 10 yrs ago that Panera came to town...
gotcha... but really, I want better for Fayetteville... for the sake of the state.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:27 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,121,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
It's also worth mentioning that just to Fayetteville's south is one of North Carolina's poorest counties.
I didn't think Bladen County was that poor. For North Carolina.

Also, like others have said. Fayetteville has good and bad areas. The bad areas you need to stay away from. Spring Lake is ugly.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 AM

448 posts, read 664,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
I didn't think Bladen County was that poor. For North Carolina.

Also, like others have said. Fayetteville has good and bad areas. The bad areas you need to stay away from. Spring Lake is ugly.
I think they were referring to Robeson Co. It is pretty dismal, although I think Parkton is pretty.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:01 AM

11,542 posts, read 12,643,177 times
Cumberland County borders both Bladen County and Robeson County to its south. Both have very high levels of poverty, over 25% of households. Robeson has some of the highest poverty levels in the country, not just the state.

North Carolina Poverty Rate by County

https://www.census.gov/did/www/saipe...t_Poor2013.pdf

Lumberton ranked as poorest city in America | WBTW.com

Old 04-25-2016, 04:45 PM

199 posts, read 238,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
I think they were referring to Robeson Co. It is pretty dismal, although I think Parkton is pretty.
As a matter of fact it has very high crime there too

Old 04-25-2016, 06:23 PM

448 posts, read 664,863 times
One problem that Fayetteville may have difficulty in overcoming is that many of its residents (transient military) who are counted in the population don't really want to be there or feel any need to push for civic improvements since they don't plan to make it home. If you only plan on being somewhere for 3-5 years, how much are you going to invest in the future of a place?

Fayetteville has made great improvements since my first time there (1995-99) and is slowly trying to become a better place to live. Traffic is a problem, since I don't believe they updated the light cycles since the most recent influxes of people. The triangle around the mall is an unholy mess that I try to avoid anytime around rush hour for my sanity and blood pressure's sake. But there are nice places to go in Fayetteville and the surrounding areas to get away from the mess. Raven Rock park and Weymouth Woods are both very nice and relaxing.

Really the best 'fix' would be to encourage industries to set up shop in town that don't rely on the military or federal government. While I don't think Bragg is going away anytime soon, a little economic diversity would certainly be a good thing. If Raleigh keeps growing and its real estate keeps getting more expensive, in several years the Fayetteville area might also become a very cheap satellite community for people who work in Raleigh but want to live somewhere cheaper and drive.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
One problem that Fayetteville may have difficulty in overcoming is that many of its residents (transient military) who are counted in the population don't really want to be there or feel any need to push for civic improvements since they don't plan to make it home. If you only plan on being somewhere for 3-5 years, how much are you going to invest in the future of a place?

Fayetteville has made great improvements since my first time there (1995-99) and is slowly trying to become a better place to live. Traffic is a problem, since I don't believe they updated the light cycles since the most recent influxes of people. The triangle around the mall is an unholy mess that I try to avoid anytime around rush hour for my sanity and blood pressure's sake. But there are nice places to go in Fayetteville and the surrounding areas to get away from the mess. Raven Rock park and Weymouth Woods are both very nice and relaxing.

Really the best 'fix' would be to encourage industries to set up shop in town that don't rely on the military or federal government. While I don't think Bragg is going away anytime soon, a little economic diversity would certainly be a good thing. If Raleigh keeps growing and its real estate keeps getting more expensive, in several years the Fayetteville area might also become a very cheap satellite community for people who work in Raleigh but want to live somewhere cheaper and drive.
Good points. the underlined jumped out at me...

I believe the military folks play a huge role in how stagnant things are ... but I still question the city's leadership and Chamber for not taking the helm. Part of the Chamber's mission is to "foster diverse, innovative business initiatives"

Also, the commuter concept could come into play in about 8-10 years. the drive to Fayetteville from Raleigh really isn't that bad.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:45 AM

40,250 posts, read 49,757,290 times
Fayetteville hired a deputy city manager who was fired from Savannah and another job before that. If this is the caliber of people who are running things, what else can Fayetteville expect?

Old 04-26-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Fayetteville hired a deputy city manager who was fired from Savannah and another job before that. If this is the caliber of people who are running things, what else can Fayetteville expect?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or