U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 10:07 AM

10,678 posts, read 11,300,112 times

Advertisements

I think someone who was fired from Savannah city government could bring a lot to the table. Look at the riverwalk in Savannah! Even if that person wasn't good enough for Savannah they could be good enough for Fayetteville. Hopefully things will look up for Fayetteville.

It's just hard because aside from the military and retail what is there to power the economy? The brain drain is enormous. Smart kids leave and get a job in Raleigh or Charlotte or elsewhere. I knew kids that grew up on the Murk and got out and moved to Florida. I know a few folks who are still there in healthcare or education, but beyond that and the military there's not a career path for someone with ambition.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 02:25 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,656,439 times
Unless you know why someone was fired, I wouldn't be so quick to rush to judgment. City/county management can be volatile when one is working for a whole group of politician bosses.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:45 AM

983 posts, read 3,522,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Fayetteville hired a deputy city manager who was fired from Savannah and another job before that. If this is the caliber of people who are running things, what else can Fayetteville expect?
Good luck finding a city manager who hasn't been fired from somewhere. They're fired because they try to be innovative and make a change and buck the "system" of the local government and raise the ire of the mayor and city council members. This is just par for the course in that line of work.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:34 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,656,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Good luck finding a city manager who hasn't been fired from somewhere. They're fired because they try to be innovative and make a change and buck the "system" of the local government and raise the ire of the mayor and city council members. This is just par for the course in that line of work.
You said it better than I did.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:56 AM

37,096 posts, read 45,604,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
OK, I know this is a thread about Fayetteville, but I will just add that the person in question, did not buck any system, nor butt heads with the mayor; none of them did anything.

You folks just sit back and watch all the "innovations" that happen in Fay.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:21 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,745,299 times
*scurries to Georgia's forum*

Old 04-27-2016, 04:22 PM

1,193 posts, read 828,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
I didn't think Bladen County was that poor. For North Carolina.

Also, like others have said. Fayetteville has good and bad areas. The bad areas you need to stay away from. Spring Lake is ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
I think they were referring to Robeson Co. It is pretty dismal, although I think Parkton is pretty.
Latter quote is correct. I was talking about Robeson county.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:44 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,017,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Latter quote is correct. I was talking about Robeson county.
Ah. I was looking at the county maps and thought it was Bladen. Okay.

Yep, Robeson County is pretty dismal. Pembroke is just gruesome. Lumberton ain't that good a place (about as bad as Kinston)

Old 04-30-2016, 06:09 AM

1,308 posts, read 1,230,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
This is not true. Fayetteville has lots of problems and more cons than pros. Rude people, bums everywhere, sleazy hotels and massage parlors, strip clubs, military businesses...there is no real one part of Fayetteville to avoid, the whole city is a lost cause.
This isn't true man, the problem with people who talk bad about Fayetteville is they only know the area they lived around. All the things you have posted are all in the same general area of Fayetteville around Bragg Blvd, Shaw, and Murchison Road.

These areas are only a issue to you if you live there, it is not like if you lived in another part of town that you would say, "hey let me drive out and hang out in this area where I see nothing of interest".

Fayetteville's does have crime issues, but it's all in the same spots, Another one of Fayetteville's issues is that outside of the military, there aren't a lot of meaningful jobs which is why there is crime.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:46 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times
Fayetteville's crime tends to be spread out. Historically, yes, it was confined to the Murk and the downtown projects. The violence, though, and ESPECIALLY the nonviolent and property crimes, are citywide...

All that said, Fayetteville is comparably safe to many cities. It, and Durham, are awful by NC standards and lead NC in crime, but the worst areas of Fayetteville aren't that bad. Trust me, they don't compare AT ALL to some areas in Virginia, DC, Baltimore...and many locales throughout the Midwest...

North Carolinians have a buffered view of crime. Fayetteville is high crime, and it is unique in that it touches the middle class here frequently, but it also isn't "out of control" (think Newark, Detroit, Memphis, San Bernardino, etc)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or