U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 08:51 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Fayetteville is not very conservative. I grew up there. Went to school with the Republican mayor, Nat Robertson. He lost his bid for re-election, btw. He was one of two Republican mayors in Fayetteville since 1961 and neither won reelection. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...North_Carolina

There are some conservative people, there, sure, but as a whole the city is not conservative. The young military members are mostly not in the socially conservative culture if you're thinking prim and proper type social conservative. Already established that Fayetteville does not vote along conservative lines. There are a LOT of American flags, though. Lots and lots and lots.
Fayetteville is very conservative. Very pro gun, slow to embrace counterculture ideology, tons of 'Murican flags and 'Murica sentiments, and the establishment (as in the governing bodies of the city) is anti-youth...

It's time for people the nation over to retire the idea of labeling a place based on political voting of the majority...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 08:58 AM

10,678 posts, read 11,300,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
the retail and restaurant culture/scene in Fayetteville is above average for a city typically its size.
Boy I _really_ disagree with this. I remember my mom being excited that Panera was coming. Fayetteville could do a LOT better with this. I think this is where it is most lacking actually. Lots of chain restaurants lining McPherson Church Road.

I think in an alternate universe Fayetteville could have been like Durham or maybe Greensboro, but it pales in comparison to either one.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Fayetteville is very conservative. Very pro gun, slow to embrace counterculture ideology, tons of 'Murican flags and 'Murica sentiments, and the establishment (as in the governing bodies of the city) is anti-youth...

It's time for people the nation over to retire the idea of labeling a place based on political voting of the majority...
What do you consider "conservative" to mean then? If voting doesn't determine what is conservative, what does?

I don't disagree with your observations on pro gun and tons of 'Murican flags, but I don't know that that means it's conservative overall.

Are there lots of hippies and hipsters in Fayetteville? No, not really, but I'm not sure that is a defining element of progressivism.

I'm sure you know as well as I do that Fayetteville has a racial make-up similar to Durham where there is no majority race. It's 42.3% black, 38% white, 11.7% Hispanic, 4.3% mixed, 2.4% Asian.

I would not label Fayetteville as "progressive" in either the political sense or the larger sense of the word, but I am encouraged by the progress they are making toward a downtown ballpark. They just move at a glacial pace. I think it's because they were starting behind the other cities in NC (look at what downtown used to be) and because economically, Fayetteville is just not a very wealthy place.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
What do you consider "conservative" to mean then? If voting doesn't determine what is conservative, what does?

I don't disagree with your observations on pro gun and tons of 'Murican flags, but I don't know that that means it's conservative overall.

Are there lots of hippies and hipsters in Fayetteville? No, not really, but I'm not sure that is a defining element of progressivism.

I'm sure you know as well as I do that Fayetteville has a racial make-up similar to Durham where there is no majority race. It's 42.3% black, 38% white, 11.7% Hispanic, 4.3% mixed, 2.4% Asian.

I would not label Fayetteville as "progressive" in either the political sense or the larger sense of the word, but I am encouraged by the progress they are making toward a downtown ballpark. They just move at a glacial pace. I think it's because they were starting behind the other cities in NC (look at what downtown used to be) and because economically, Fayetteville is just not a very wealthy place.
For what it's worth, Fayetteville scored a dismal 17 (out of 100) on HRC's Municipal Equality Index which examines the laws, policies, and services of 506 municipalities and rates them on the basis of their inclusivity of LGBTQ people. https://www.hrc.org/resources/mei-20...ur-citys-score

Cumberland County also voted for Amendment One back in 2012 by 70%. Mecklenburg, Wake, Durham, and Buncombe counties voted against it while Forsyth, Guilford, and New Hanover counties barely voted for it; it was essentially a 50/50 split in those counties. https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/...off=60&elect=7

This isn't the end all, be all for what determines if a place is conservative or liberal but I think it's a pretty good proxy and by this measure, I'd call Fayetteville conservative.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:36 PM

Why is the election result on HB2 7 years ago more of a measure of conservatism than the election result on the 2016 presidential contest? A lot has changed in 7 years.

In 2016 Cumberland County voted for Hillary 16% points over Trump, 56% to 40%. And 56% for Roy Cooper vs 42% for Pat McCrory.

In the most recent election in Nov 2018, out of 15 partisan elections with folks from Dems and Reps running (so not counting any where only Dems were running or there was no party affiliated), the Dem was elected in 14 out of 15 contests. One Republican won. https://er.ncsbe.gov/?election_dt=11...=ALL&contest=0

Compare to the 2016 election results in New Hanover Co/Wilmington: https://er.ncsbe.gov/?election_dt=11...=ALL&contest=0 (Trump won by 4%) or Cabarrus Co/Concord NC: https://er.ncsbe.gov/?election_dt=11...=ALL&contest=0 (Trump won by 19%).

Again, I wouldn't label Fayetteville as "progressive", but I just don't see "conservative" fitting either. I think it is economically-challenged and kinda backwater and slow to grow in interesting and attractive ways, but that doesn't necessarily equal conservative. I believe it was Gsoboi who compared Fayetteville's downtown to Greenville SC. Greenville SC is much more conservative than Fayetteville. Fayetteville is just boring and podunk.

Last edited by poppydog; 01-20-2019 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-20-2019, 06:12 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Why is the election result on HB2 7 years ago more of a measure of conservatism than the election result on the 2016 presidential contest? A lot has changed in 7 years.
Again, demographics helps to explain this. Surely you dont believe all those small towns in eastern NC with large Black populations that are Democratic strongholds are actually progressive? Now of course they aren't your typical GOP-type conservative places but they are traditionally socially conservative places. Fayetteville pretty much fits that mold, only it's a bit larger, plus there's a heavy military presence in place. And look also at the HRC MEI score; that pretty much jibes with the Amendment One vote from 2012.

Quote:
Again, I wouldn't label Fayetteville as "progressive", but I just don't see "conservative" fitting either. I think it is economically-challenged and kinda backwater and slow to grow in interesting and attractive ways, but that doesn't necessarily equal conservative. I believe it was Gsoboi who compared Fayetteville's downtown to Greenville SC. Greenville SC is much more conservative than Fayetteville. Fayetteville is just boring and podunk.
Politically conservative? No. But traditionally/socially conservative in several (though not all) respects? For the most part, yes. I do get where you're coming from though as conservatism among African Americans and military folks doesn't necessarily fit that GOP mold of political conservatism.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:06 AM

1,308 posts, read 1,230,118 times
Just going to chime in on the food scene, Now there are chains but there are some great spots that you probably would have had to live there to know about. Even in neighboring Spring Lake. growing up I would kill this Korean Joint called Henry's lol(one of my friends dad owned the place) food was DELICIOUS, another spot there was this korean/japanese fusion joint called nakimotos that I went to damn near every day. It broke my heart when they moved to SC but Mrs. G of G and Gs country kitchen was the truth!!!!!!! Oh I can't forget about the ocean fresh fish market for the fish and shrimp plates. Me and my friend would play basketball then go there for fried fish sandwiches, so simple but so perfect. In more recent times, there's this joint called better than granny's that's def worth it if you just so happen to be in the fayetteville area.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/better-than...ys-spring-lake

(chicken and red velvet waffles)

My family lives in Fayetteville so every time I'm in town I make sure to stop by Su's Subs ....but never for the subs lol, not that they're not good but the beef bulgogi is the truth, plus they don't hold back on portions, the small plate can feed 3.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sus-subs-fayetteville

you have both Shogan and Myubi for your hibachi fix , Tandori bites for your indian fix, at least 3 or 4 jamaican joints that are all good, don't know why the name is escaping me but there's a coffee shop downtown(not the one by the movie theater(which is a really slept on place a lot of people walk right pass the cameo but it's actually a nice feature) that's pretty nice and has great baked goods. etc etc, not saying it's some food mecca but you can definitely eat good in the ville despite the chains. On a side note went back not to long ago to eat at this placed called a taste of west africa and damn did it hurt to see that they had closed even with high reviews smdh they were so good, restaurant biz is tough.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:54 AM

24,986 posts, read 23,891,412 times
In the late '80s and '90s, I remember an English pub type restaurant near Olive Garden, Trio in the same area, and excellent sushi at a Japanese restaurant. There was a decent German restaurant, too.

Fayetteville for the win for the city where I thought that I might be killed crossing a road. New York City is better.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 22,191 times
Yes, I've checked out Holly Springs, Apex, and Fuquay-Varina. All are quite nice in some respects. Not a huge fan of suburbia though.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:03 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,781,920 times
I had to make a delivery to the new Campbell Distribution Center in Fayettevillle today.
It is very impressive and huge! It looks like it will be a nice place to work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or