Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 03:28 PM

67 posts, read 79,863 times

Advertisements

I've come to the conclusion that moving to NC is the best option for me and my family right now, but I'm still stuck on deciding between Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte. Having a better idea now of what NC can offer, here's my priority list:

Housing - I'd prefer a modest house in an area of old-growth trees on larger (~1 acre) lots with space. Picture this: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9011...2!8i6656?hl=en If I'm moving all the way across the country, I'm not settling for anything less than a forest in my yard I don't mind living in the boondocks as long as my daily commute to work is <45mins. I see these neighborhood pockets here and there in both areas but prices seem to fluctuate. I'd like to stay under $350k.

Schools - I've got an 8yo so access to decent schools is important. They don't have to be top-tier schools, my wife can supplement whatever is lacking, but I'd prefer a good public school over a private school to help save $$$.

Jobs - Both areas seem to have many IT jobs available, though I'm planning to get out of IT in a few years. Until then, I need to stay close to jobs.

Outdoor activities - access to fishing, biking, etc.

Quality foods - access to farmers markets, quality meats and dairy products.

I'm in my early 40s, I don't care about "scenes" - downtown, bars, restaurants, clubs, etc. I will only venture toward the concrete jungle for work or other necessities, otherwise I prefer to stay away from it. My spare time is spent building guitars and doing yard work, but I like taking my girl to the zoo, museums, etc. I generally don't care about peoples' views on politics, religion, race, orientation, or social status. If my next door neighbor wants to paint his Hyundai black and put a white number 3 on the door, I'll buy him a 6-pack and tell him he did an awesome job I'm sure I can make both places work and it really comes down to where I can land a job and what houses are on the market when I'm ready to buy.

I see "visit for a week and look around" mentioned a lot and I'm planning to spend a week in NC in June to do that, but since I don't care about most of the "city" stuff and I'm more of a suburbanite (or rural-ite), what should I be looking for? I'm interested in the things I probably won't be able to see during the short amount of time I have. For example, is there a noticeable difference in local tax rates? How about building restrictions (i.e. building a free-standing workshop)? Is one area more prone to flooding? Are there restrictions on owning certain breeds of dogs? I don't need answers to these specific questions, but for those that have lived in (or really know) both places, what else might be important to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 03:35 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,473,529 times
I don't care about "scenes" - downtown, bars, restaurants, clubs, etc. I will only venture toward the concrete jungle for work or other necessities, otherwise I prefer to stay away from it.

With this being said I think you would find the two areas almost identical. I guess it comes down to where you get a job and would you rather be closer to the mountains or the beaches?

Old 04-21-2016, 03:43 PM

2,838 posts, read 2,951,004 times
IMO you really need to assess what 'good schools' mean to you

Transplants exist in an echo chamber where only the places they are going are "good schools". Maybe it helps rationalize what they're paying for housing? If you don't insist on the Wake/Chapel Hill duo you have lots of options.

Chatham County, lots of folks in Wake Forest, Durham County, lots of lovely properties up by the eno river, toward granville around mebane.

I'm born and raised in NC lived here my whole life and if I were you I would avoid Charlotte and the triangle and head to the triad (Greensboro/Winston Salem). I am just too uncertain where growth is going to head in both cities. That lovely farm beside your house could very well be a subdivision in three years.

A lot of the Charlotte vs Raleigh depends on where you live now and where you are coming from. I personally dislike Charlotte because it seems to oscillate between a NE transplant Character and deeper south characteristics (think south carolina) also I think its in more in the low country where things are more hot and humid. Charlotte is also the larger of the two so if you're thinking rural why would you go there?

If you're in IT favor raleigh we are recruiting startups and established corps and charlotte pretty much exists on legacy financial.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:11 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,267,595 times
Op really sounds like Greensboro/Winston-Salem area would be the best fit for you. I'd start my search there.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:57 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,213,241 times
That google streetview you linked? It all looks like that throughout North Carolina. Anywhere in the state pretty much, so don't let that worry you, although I'm almost certain those are more like .5 or less acre lots. Those neighborhoods are easy to find. And that's not a forest. I have far more trees than that in my yard.

I think you just need to concentrate on the job.

Charlotte and Raleigh are both growing like crazy so there is some merit in what hey_guy is saying about where growth is going. For example right now Chatham County southwest of Raleigh is still fairly rural, but there is a massive development project underway which will build out over 30 years and bring 60,000 people to a live/work/play environment called Chatham Park. It will dwarf nearby Pittsboro which is a small town of under 4000.

In general there are more museums in Raleigh and the Triangle. The Triangle is home to 3 major universities and numerous smaller ones and in general has a bit of an intellectual air at times, or at least some people like to think so.

Charlotte has more pro-sports, and skyscrapers, and some folks seem to think the shopping is better there. (Not a shopper myself so I wouldn't know).

The Triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) has universities and shopping and museums, but can't claim first place in any of the categories. It's a fine place to find an older house with a trees in the yard near a decent school, though.

Plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities and good farmer's markets in all three areas.

There is a notable difference in local property tax rates. Have a google at it. All that info is online. Flooding just depends on if you're near a creek or river and there are some of those in all areas. Dog breeds would be neighborhood specific I believe. I've not heard of any city that bans a particular dog breed, but I know some landlords have restrictions if you're looking to rent. I think some cities limit the number of dogs you can have within the city limits. Anything goes in the county.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:48 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,535,424 times
Where are you moving from?

Old 04-24-2016, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
IMO you really need to assess what 'good schools' mean to you
Low student/teacher ratio, above average test scores (whatever NC uses as a state standard test). It's all relative, I understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I'm born and raised in NC lived here my whole life and if I were you I would avoid Charlotte and the triangle and head to the triad (Greensboro/Winston Salem). I am just too uncertain where growth is going to head in both cities. That lovely farm beside your house could very well be a subdivision in three years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Op really sounds like Greensboro/Winston-Salem area would be the best fit for you. I'd start my search there.
Very few jobs in Winston-Salem. I've got to go to where the jobs are.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That google streetview you linked? It all looks like that throughout North Carolina.
I don't know, I see plenty of subdivisions like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8833...2!8i6656?hl=en

I can see that outside my front door right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Where are you moving from?
One of the worst areas of Southern California. Almost anywhere else in the US would be an improvement...

Old 04-24-2016, 06:24 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,779,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2112 View Post
I don't know, I see plenty of subdivisions like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8833...2!8i6656?hl=en

One of the worst areas of Southern California. Almost anywhere else in the US would be an improvement...
In general, that's the difference between newer subdivisions and older ones. As mentioned earlier, there are more than plenty tree lined street neighborhoods in Raleigh. You may not get an acre @ $350K, at least not IN Raleigh. Again, as mentioned above, Chatham County is a great option if you don't mind the commute. Northern Durham County is also a great option.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:32 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,213,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2112 View Post

Yes, that neighborhood is just new construction. If you want mature landscaping you need to look for an older home or go custom on a wooded lot. Tract builders typically clear cut.

Forest succession is rapid in North Carolina, though. The whole state would revert to forest in a short time in a dystopian future. Pine seedlings will appear in an unmaintained lawn or pasture within 1-2 years. It's much greener (and more humid) than California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina