U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Third City of North Carolina--Greensboro or Durham?
Greensboro 42 64.62%
Durham 23 35.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 03:11 PM

4,540 posts, read 4,354,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Durham has a convention center, albeit a pretty small one: Durham Convention Center
True but it does seem more like a small conference center or a civic center. Im surprised Durham doesn't have a bigger facilty for conventions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 04:29 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,040,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Durham skyline

Greensboro skyline

Older one before Center Pointe tower renovation

Greensboro's hotel and convention center with over 1, 000 guest rooms
It's ok to be down for your city,but come on man. Greensboro is 3rd,right now. It's really close though. No matter how many "Glamour Shots" you post of Greensboro's skyline!

Old 12-19-2016, 04:34 PM

10,622 posts, read 11,211,273 times
I think the skylines are totally irrelevant.

There's a lot more going on in Durham that I'm interested in. Better food scene, better beer scene, better arts scene. I like Greensboro, too, but there's not really as much going on there that I'm into.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:36 PM

29,710 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Both Greensboro and Durham have small, short skylines. That's a midget battle right there lol.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:57 PM

4,540 posts, read 4,354,114 times
The thing about Durham, take away the two tallest buildings and Durham has a smaller or less dense skyline than High Point. Honestly though with exception to a few big high end retailers like Nordstrom, there is nothing you can find in Durham that you can't find in Greensboro. Greensboro is and feels like the bigger city of the two. But hey its different stroke for different folks. The two cities have different vibes and its just a matter of preference.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:00 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,265,475 times
I'm not trying to jump on bandwagons by any means. But Durham, to me, has a perception of being a liberal enclave, hipster, cool, etc. And I actually do read a lot of Charlotte, Raleigh & Durham equally in national news papers.

Greensboro I rarely seen mentioned in national news and my perception of it, personally, represents the old North Carolina. And I sort of view it as the blue collar city of NC along with Fayetteville (as far as culture.)

But I don't really care. I mean. I guess Durham might be the city Im 2nd most interested in. But I'm not really concerned too much with NC outside of Charlotte because I still live here

And no offense. But talk of skyline is like. Beyond irrelevant for the 2 cities.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:30 PM

780 posts, read 985,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I'm not trying to jump on bandwagons by any means. But Durham, to me, has a perception of being a liberal enclave, hipster, cool, etc. And I actually do read a lot of Charlotte, Raleigh & Durham equally in national news papers.

Greensboro I rarely seen mentioned in national news and my perception of it, personally, represents the old North Carolina. And I sort of view it as the blue collar city of NC along with Fayetteville (as far as culture.)

But I don't really care. I mean. I guess Durham might be the city Im 2nd most interested in. But I'm not really concerned too much with NC outside of Charlotte because I still live here

And no offense. But talk of skyline is like. Beyond irrelevant for the 2 cities.
Come on now, Greensboro does actually have a skyline, it's not the tallest, but it's certainly there.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-24-2016 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: copyrighted images

Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 PM

10,622 posts, read 11,211,273 times
Quote:
Honestly though with exception to a few big high end retailers like Nordstrom, there is nothing you can find in Durham that you can't find in Greensboro.
That's just silly. Of course there are different things in each city! I like Greensboro and am up that way fairly often, but it does not have all the same stuff as Durham except Nordstrom. That's ridiculous.

The DPAC stands out as one of the best mid-size performing arts centers in the country. There's nothing like that in Greensboro.

UNC-G is a fine school, but it's no Duke. No Cameron Crazies.

No James Beard award winning chefs in Greensboro that I know of.

No American Tobacco Campus in Greensboro.

I like downtown Greensboro. There are some great old buildings there and I like the growth happening. Greensboro has a good underrated fine arts scene. There's a lot of energy there. UNC-G has a good art program, too. I think the Weatherspoon and the Nasher are both great museums, too.

But to me they're pretty different cities.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:43 PM

780 posts, read 985,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's just silly. Of course there are different things in each city! I like Greensboro and am up that way fairly often, but it does not have all the same stuff as Durham except Nordstrom. That's ridiculous.

The DPAC stands out as one of the best mid-size performing arts centers in the country. There's nothing like that in Greensboro.

UNC-G is a fine school, but it's no Duke. No Cameron Crazies.

No James Beard award winning chefs in Greensboro that I know of.

No American Tobacco Campus in Greensboro.

I like downtown Greensboro. There are some great old buildings there and I like the growth happening. Greensboro has a good underrated fine arts scene. There's a lot of energy there. UNC-G has a good art program, too. I think the Weatherspoon and the Nasher are both great museums, too.

But to me they're pretty different cities.
speaking of nordstrom, or other high end facilities, Greensboro seems to boast a serious ammount of exotic dealerships, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Ferrari to name a few, as a die hard car enthusiast and spotter i thoroughly enjoy it.. you can see alot of really cool exotics or rare classics on a daily basis in the boro, i should know since i do all of my car spotting for my blog here. Different cities, different things. Also Would not be surprised if friendly area pulled in a saks or nordstrom, that area boasts an abundance of high end stores/resturants.

But at the end of the day, it's Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro. For now. Lets not also forget that Greensboro is an overall larger city than durham, and not just by population, but by

Old 12-20-2016, 06:21 PM

530 posts, read 447,747 times
Quote:
It also shows how densely populated Greensboro is. Greensboro is less than 20, 000 people away from the 300,000 milestone. Almost the entire population of Durham County is equal to the current population of Greensboro. Guilford County has over 500,000 people.
I didn't want to derail the Winston-Salem discussion, but I was just going to point out that by 2010 census defined urban areas, the Durham urban area is both more dense and higher populated than the Greensboro urban area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or