U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 04:28 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,749,694 times

Advertisements

... I'm curious, but it looks... uh... "different."

...was gonna go in but it was late and I was kinda and by the random peacock that greeted me in the parking lot and the trailer park and other residences that are about a hundred yards down the road from where tigers are located.

the staff member at the ticket window was very nice, however.

I'm gonna go at some point, but someone give me the lowdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 08:10 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,665,274 times
I don't know anything about it personally, but found their website: Aloha Safari Zoo - Home

Although they describe themselves as having a mission of rescue and education, they do not appear to have 501(c)3 charitable tax status. That is no way is a criticism, just observation. Based on the information on their website, they do seem passionate about their work and their hearts are in the right place.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:47 AM

67 posts, read 96,778 times
They have some amazing animals there. Most were "pets" people could not manage themselves or show animals. The back part allows a lot of room for them to roam (camels and many other African plains animals). I can only imagine their budget is stressed and its not ideal conditions for all animals. I think they rely upon many volunteers. Don't expect your polished zoo experience since its a rescue center, but it's a good weekend stop just to see what they have there.

UNC-TV piece on them...
http://video.unctv.org/video/2365095753/

Old 04-25-2016, 07:03 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,749,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I don't know anything about it personally, but found their website: Aloha Safari Zoo - Home

Although they describe themselves as having a mission of rescue and education, they do not appear to have 501(c)3 charitable tax status. That is no way is a criticism, just observation. Based on the information on their website, they do seem passionate about their work and their hearts are in the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexniner View Post
They have some amazing animals there. Most were "pets" people could not manage themselves or show animals. The back part allows a lot of room for them to roam (camels and many other African plains animals). I can only imagine their budget is stressed and its not ideal conditions for all animals. I think they rely upon many volunteers. Don't expect your polished zoo experience since its a rescue center, but it's a good weekend stop just to see what they have there.

UNC-TV piece on them...
Video: Aloha Safari Zoo | Watch NC Weekend Online | The University of North Carolina Center for Public Television Video

thanks for the info y'all. I"m definitely going back to experience the zoo. And based on Web site, they do seem passionate about the cause. It doesn't seem like a lot of land, but looks can be deceiving. I would imagine the budget is stressed, too. Gonna go back soon, and take the Safari ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or