Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 PM

496 posts, read 466,662 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your responses. Today makes me evenore eager to move. We had snow today. I was at a baseball game and it was 40 and windy
My feet still hasn't thawed out yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,493,713 times
I'll suggest Aiken, South Carolina. It's small, with a population right around 30,000. It's right east of the Georgia line and is about 20-25 minutes from Augusta, Georgia which is not a big city by any means but it does have a population just under 200,000. Aiken has a very cute, quaint downtown with lots of nice little shops and restaurants - nice classic southern architecture. It also has the regulare business district with the Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc. Augusta has a nice luxury theater with fancy reclining seats and whatnot. Snow would be an oddity, it's quite far south and gets upper 90s/low 100s in the summer, sometimes as early as mid-late May. Snow is probably not impossible but more than an inch would be bizarre for sure. It's far enough inland to avoid the brunt force of a hurricane. Might get the residual rain bands and higher than average winds (25-35mph) but nothing destructive at all (unless it's a massive cat 5). It's quite country and I'm pretty sure horses are a big thing there. Plenty of woods to hunt and dirt bike in. Topography is relatively nice I think, has long subtle hills and lots of pine trees so you can see very far, looks nice. I think you'd like it.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:11 PM

496 posts, read 466,662 times
Lordhelmit, thank you for your thoughtful response. When you say it's small with around 30,000 people I had to laugh. Our biggest city in Vermont has 42000 and that is waaaay too many people for my husband to deal with. LOL.

We actually had effects from a hurricane a few years ago up here in VT. The rains made everything flood and houses were floating down the middle of the road. It was awful for a lot of people.

A friend said I should be about 100 miles from the coast to avoid hurricanes. Because my husband travels for work, M-F, we can live pretty much where-ever. Right now he's driving 3 hours (1 way) to work, stays the week in a hotel, and then comes home Friday nights. It sucks but it's a good job and pays well.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:08 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,493 times
I would suggest around wilksboro morganton or even rural eastern NC (duplin co?)

South Carolina low country gets HOT and hurricane could easily blast into upstate

I wouldn't worry about hurricanes TBH they're not that bad if you're in the interior coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina