Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 06:39 PM

31 posts, read 22,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
yah but have you done it in humidity
Yes.
We have to work around the weather, not the other way around. I have no issues with seasons. If every day were nice, I'd be super lazy. Oh I'll just do it tomorrow cause it'll be nice tomorrow too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 06:45 PM

398 posts, read 498,375 times
Quote:
They have to pay their waters hospitality people a living wage
What does that mean?

Old 04-28-2016, 06:45 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
hey_guy - OP has stated a rental budget of $600-700. That puts Asheville - which has the state's highest rental rates - WAY out reach, unless he finds one or more roommates. July is high tourist season for Wilmington and Asheville, which means higher motel room rates too. Why are you trying to steer him away from the cities he's already researched and decided he wants to look at?

Old 04-28-2016, 06:49 PM

530 posts, read 637,785 times
OP, now that you have explained more about yourself, I definitely think you should strongly look at Winston Salem.

It is much more affordable, Raleigh and Durham are expensive by North Carolina standards. And while the triangle has more going on, I certainly don't want to give you the impression that there is nothing going on in Winston-Salem. You can easily find a social scene there, I've had some good times when I visited. My impression when I wrote my first post is that you were moving from New York City, and looking for a "professional" job down here so your money can go further.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
OP, now that you have explained more about yourself, I definitely think you should strongly look at Winston Salem.

It is much more affordable, Raleigh and Durham are expensive by North Carolina standards. And while the triangle has more going on, I certainly don't want to give you the impression that there is nothing going on in Winston-Salem. You can easily find a social scene there, I've had some good times when I visited. My impression when I wrote my first post is that you were moving from New York City, and looking for a "professional" job down here so your money can go further.
I am in upstate. About 1 hour or 65 miles south of Albany and about 100 miles or 2-2.5 hours(traff dep.) north of Manhattan NY.
Upstate is WAY different than NYC. We're still A*holes, just not "as" big or entitled. ;p

Btw, I may end up in NC for the rest of my life, maybe I'll be there for a few years - 10 or whatever. NC might be a stepping stone, or could be THE stepping stone. Know what I mean?

Old 04-28-2016, 07:01 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
hey_guy - OP has stated a rental budget of $600-700. That puts Asheville - which has the state's highest rental rates - WAY out reach, unless he finds one or more roommates. July is high tourist season for Wilmington and Asheville, which means higher motel room rates too. Why are you trying to steer him away from the cities he's already researched and decided he wants to look at?
Asheville has lots of blue collar service workers. Yes online says the 'highest rents' but I don't think you'll find it qualitatively worse than raleigh/durham.

If it wasnt for the professional work opportunities i wouldn't live here and would be more interested in the main perks of the state -> mountains and ocean

Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post

I want to be able to meet someone or multiple people somewhere that at the end of the night or end of the event or whatever, I can say hey, let me get your #s and it would be cool to meet up again sometime and people are going to be cool about it because you're doing and sharing the same thing/experience. ...instead of meeting somewhere that people would be less inclined/comfortable to do so.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:21 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Quote:
Asheville has lots of blue collar service workers. Yes online says the 'highest rents' but I don't think you'll find it qualitatively worse than raleigh/durham.

If it wasnt for the professional work opportunities i wouldn't live here and would be more interested in the main perks of the state -> mountains and ocean
I live in western NC and am very familiar with Asheville, its economy, and its real estate market. Jobs that are generally available in the Asheville area - and it's a very tight job market - and the rental rates in Asheville have a significant disconnect = low pay and high rental rates. That's why the OP wisely did not include Asheville on his initial list.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:16 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Without a college degree I wouldn't recommend Raleigh or Durham. They are among the most educated places in the country and I think you would find yourself at a disadvantage from the start. Have you considered going back to school? NC has a great community college system that is very affordable.

I'd look again at Charlotte. Housing costs are actually slightly cheaper than Raleigh or Durham. Greensboro is worth a look, too, if you're looking at Winston-Salem.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliterazor View Post
I can't look for a job, if I don't have an area to look in....your analogy isn't exactly suitable to this situation. I get your point none-the-less though.
The VAST majority of people who move here have managed to find a job first, rather than uproot and land somewhere they are then unable to find work.

Most people job-search on the Internet these days, ya know.

Quote:
I was under the impression that Durham costs more to live in than Raleigh.
Where did you hear this? Durham county in general is considered cheaper than Wake county (Raleigh). I'd love to know where you saw this??

I'm curious how you, who seem to know very little about NC, have narrowed down your search to only these 3 cities when, as you say, "you can live anywhere"? Don't people usually visit somewhere first, say "Hey I like it, I could live here", and THEN decide they want to move there (preferably AFTER finding work)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina