Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:25 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
You make it sound broad-based across departments versus an isolated case. It's obvious the anti-UNC crowd want to magnify the issue beyond the problem. The "Carowhina" way I guess? It was identified, staff or faculty removed.

Lol, it doesn't matter, those who don't like UNC will never come to terms with any level of admission to guilt or levied penalty.
Well...just stating what is known...besides the rogue professor setting up Indy classes that didn't meet and his rogue assistant who was improperly grading papers...you had the rogue academic support advisers orchestrating the athletes into the classes and the rogue faculty rep orchestrating a cover-up of the known classes with the first couple of "inside investigations".

Its an athletic scandal that used fraudulent academics to keep players eligible to play....and, I'll say it...provide a fraudulent curriculum for primarily black students admitted to UNC to graduate.

Here's the crazy thing...besides this probation from SACS...there have been no penalties. Everyone involved that is now gone walked away with their pension in hand or another job.

I guess it really is time for everyone to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 09:25 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Could, but it won't. NCAA was waiting to see what the accreditation body was going to do before imparting their own sanctions. Since SACSCOC only put UNC on probation due to their "dummy" classes, NCAA has no real juice to squeeze here to impart athletic sanctions.

UNC got lucky.
This.

And UNC is flagship Uni of the state as other posters have mentioned, and it's an engine for the state in so many areas. No way in hell accreditation is lost. A whole lot of madness would ensue if that ever happened.

The whole situation is a bad look, however.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
You make it sound broad-based across departments versus an isolated case. It's obvious the anti-UNC crowd want to magnify the issue beyond the problem. The "Carowhina" way I guess? It was identified, staff or faculty removed.

Lol, it doesn't matter, those who don't like UNC will never come to terms with any level of admission to guilt or levied penalty.
Just own it.

I really don't care, other than to point out the absurdity of claiming otherwise. I don't expect anything to change... "The system" and all. Good luck next year, the path is clear...

Old 05-03-2016, 09:46 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Just own it.

I really don't care, other than to point out the absurdity of claiming otherwise. I don't expect anything to change... "The system" and all. Good luck next year, the path is clear...
It's already been owned, a very thorough unbiased internal investigation was conducted by a 3rd party, findings submitted to the NCAA and provided to the school. The school did a second round of house cleaning in that department, get over it and move on. No matter the penalty, it'll never be enough for the anti-UNC crowd...own up to that.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Well...just stating what is known...besides the rogue professor setting up Indy classes that didn't meet and his rogue assistant who was improperly grading papers...you had the rogue academic support advisers orchestrating the athletes into the classes and the rogue faculty rep orchestrating a cover-up of the known classes with the first couple of "inside investigations".

Its an athletic scandal that used fraudulent academics to keep players eligible to play....and, I'll say it...provide a fraudulent curriculum for primarily black students admitted to UNC to graduate.

Here's the crazy thing...besides this probation from SACS...there have been no penalties. Everyone involved that is now gone walked away with their pension in hand or another job.

I guess it really is time for everyone to do it.
It is not, all schools steer students and student athletes to these type of classes and still do. Lol, so the requirement is to submit two papers of high "quality" work instead of one to meet academic rigor. There are plenty of dumb ass white athletes at these "prestigious" institutions as well, doing a better job of hiding it though.

The joke of the matter is the NCAA and the so-called "student" athlete. The only reason it will continue at ALL institutions of higher learning is due to the big business that is CFB and CBB.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:08 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
It is not, all schools steer students and student athletes to these type of classes and still do. Lol, so the requirement is to submit two papers of high "quality" work instead of one to meet academic rigor. There are plenty of dumb ass white athletes at these "prestigious" institutions as well, doing a better job of hiding it though.

The joke of the matter is the NCAA and the so-called "student" athlete. The only reason it will continue at ALL institutions of higher learning is due to the big business that is CFB and CBB.
I'm not on the anti-UNC bandwagon...but you and I know that is BS.

In fact, the BOG made all UNC system schools investigate to see if this was going on anywhere else...and it was not. They were all cleared.

You are obviously either aligned with the school or a fan. That's fine. Doesn't change the reality of the situation though.

I have never heard of a secretary grading a paper and giving out grades at another school. And the professor calling that a class. And the athletic support staff steering athletes to that person. And the faculty Rep telling that person what grade they need to stay eligible. It may happen at other places, but we have yet to see it. Most publications have called it the worst academic scandal in the history of college athletics.

It is what it is.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:13 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
Default The Hunting Ground by UNC Students

"A new documentary about campus sexual assault features former UNC-Chapel Hill students whose federal complaint prompted significant changes at the university."

Read more here: New documentary explores sexual assault at UNC-Chapel Hill, other campuses | News & Observer

It is on Netflix and worth a watch. According to the documentary your daughter stands a 1.9 in 10 chance of being a victim of sexual assault on campus and the university or local police doing nothing. The universities that "investigate" sexual assault and do nothing about it or worse yet, blame the victim, is inexcusable.

http://youtu.be/KSykg4Gzftc

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0cd99679b9ada

Last edited by mlhm5; 05-03-2016 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-03-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I'm not on the anti-UNC bandwagon...but you and I know that is BS.

In fact, the BOG made all UNC system schools investigate to see if this was going on anywhere else...and it was not. They were all cleared.

You are obviously either aligned with the school or a fan. That's fine. Doesn't change the reality of the situation though.

I have never heard of a secretary grading a paper and giving out grades at another school. And the professor calling that a class. And the athletic support staff steering athletes to that person. And the faculty Rep telling that person what grade they need to stay eligible. It may happen at other places, but we have yet to see it. Most publications have called it the worst academic scandal in the history of college athletics.

It is what it is.
Just very objective and no other school had a 3rd party in-depth investigation to that level. If so, they would've uncovered much worse than what happened at UNC. Given the big business that is CFB and CBB and the favoritism provided to "student" athletes at ALL schools, the idea of mixing academics with big time college sports is a joke. That is the reality of the situation and it will continue at ALL schools....let the TA/GA give the grade which is rather common, let the professor keep researching, and the cash register keep counting.

It'd be nice to believe what happened at UNC is an isolated case but the tooth fairy and Santa Claus ain't real....reality check. It's rampant and everywhere, some schools are just better at masking the mess.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:03 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Pretty soon ALL college sports fans will be aligned with the cash cow schools, because the rest of us... well, we don't watch college sports anymore. Why bother? There's not even an air of impartiality.

At the end of the day I THANK UNC for bringing to light the absurdity of "collegiate" athletics and the "scholar/athlete" myth. It's a joke, like the WWE... for entertainment only.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:08 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Pretty soon ALL college sports fans will be aligned with the cash cow schools, because the rest of us... well, we don't watch college sports anymore. Why bother? There's not even an air of impartiality.

At the end of the day I THANK UNC for bringing to light the absurdity of "collegiate" athletics and the "scholar/athlete" myth. It's a joke, like the WWE... for entertainment only.
True Scholar-Athletes go to Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame and occasionally to a few other well heeled (no pun intended) institutions where athletics have found a way to succeed in conjunction with academic rigor.

No. I am neither a Duke homer nor a homer of the other institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina