U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:59 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,125,427 times

Advertisements

UNC academic scandal leaves university in peril beyond athletics - CBSSports.com

So UNC was effectively giving away a bunch of fraudulent diplomas. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 12:49 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,810,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
UNC academic scandal leaves university in peril beyond athletics - CBSSports.com

So UNC was effectively giving away a bunch of fraudulent diplomas. Thoughts?
It's another black eye on the state's face at a time when the state doesn't need anymore negative attention.
That said, I really can't believe that this has stretched on and on and on and on with no real punishment.
But, then again, it also doesn't surprise me. It's sort of like how the kids of prominent families don't really get punished for breaking the law while ordinary folk's kids are sent up the river for the same offense.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:15 AM

3,468 posts, read 3,152,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's another black eye on the state's face at a time when the state doesn't need anymore negative attention.
That said, I really can't believe that this has stretched on and on and on and on with no real punishment.
But, then again, it also doesn't surprise me. It's sort of like how the kids of prominent families don't really get punished for breaking the law while ordinary folk's kids are sent up the river for the same offense.
Because it's not the NCAAs job to punish athletics for rogue professor(s) or staff. They don't have the resources. That is the responsibility of the university to audit and monitor the rigor and standards of academics since the classes in question were offered to all students.

The NCAA initially pursued MBB and MFB due to external pressures but since have not found any violations directly related to those two sports. Recall MFB had already been punished with a post season ban and scholarship reduction by the NCAA for violations related to gifts, etc. and any new charges were much ado about nothing. So this long process was a result of outside forces to nail it to the "Carolina" way. The NCAA did cite WBB for recruiting and other violations.

All schools have "easy" classes or independent study classes that serve as electives or fillers for a lot of majors and the measure of their rigor is extremely subjective. If a "student" athlete is on campus to play ball and not for academics (true for many sports) why wouldn't an advisor steer them to those courses? It's nave and disingenuous to assume otherwise.

This is misdirected ire towards UNC including a hackneyed article. UNC will not lose accreditation, if so they might as well shut down collegiate athletics on all campuses.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:19 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,012,974 times
rogue professor. That's funny.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
rogue professor. That's funny.
Lol, very few "professors" lecture freshmen or introductory courses. Universities have turned into research beds and a large majority of "research" professors time is spent on writing proposals and pure research. Recently a state mandate was initiated to increase lecture load and student focus, it did not go over very well. They and the university make more money via research.

It's extremely subjective with respect to rating or placing value on independent study courses. They vary greatly from department to department and university to university and that's not the NCAA jobs.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:42 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,012,974 times
Oh, I know all that.

I just find it humorous that the State's preeminent University has such a hard time with rogue faculty and staff... Rogue professor, rogue coach, rogue tutor, rogue whistleblower, rogue *women's* sports program... It's absurd, really that anyone can say that with a straight face.

I'd respect UNC more at this point if they just owned it. Just say it: they cheat so well they are untouchable.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:00 AM

1,100 posts, read 479,420 times
Could, but it won't. NCAA was waiting to see what the accreditation body was going to do before imparting their own sanctions. Since SACSCOC only put UNC on probation due to their "dummy" classes, NCAA has no real juice to squeeze here to impart athletic sanctions.

UNC got lucky.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:33 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,125,427 times
"only put UNC on probation"

Probation is very serious. The next step is getting booted.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:46 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,663,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
"only put UNC on probation"

Probation is very serious. The next step is getting booted.
... or being reinstated once the problems are satisfactorily addressed. You honestly don't think (but maybe you wish?) that UNC's flagship university is going to allow itself to lose academic accreditation? I'm not making light of this very serious situation, but you're making it sound like there's only one possible outcome. Au contraire.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Oh, I know all that.

I just find it humorous that the State's preeminent University has such a hard time with rogue faculty and staff... Rogue professor, rogue coach, rogue tutor, rogue whistleblower, rogue *women's* sports program... It's absurd, really that anyone can say that with a straight face.

I'd respect UNC more at this point if they just owned it. Just say it: they cheat so well they are untouchable.
You make it sound broad-based across departments versus an isolated case. It's obvious the anti-UNC crowd want to magnify the issue beyond the problem. The "Carowhina" way I guess? It was identified, staff or faculty removed.

Lol, it doesn't matter, those who don't like UNC will never come to terms with any level of admission to guilt or levied penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or