U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 PM

4,811 posts, read 2,571,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
I'm just saying that if you want to deport your neighbors to Mississippi over a policy disagreement, maybe you'd be more comfortable with more like-minded neighbors
"Unless he's a Hancock, he's got no business meddling in our affairs. Now be a dear and go fetch me cool beverage Butterfly"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 08:11 PM

8,015 posts, read 10,877,823 times
Quote:
Maybe you should learn to discuss issues on their merits instead of attacking (or deporting) those that disagree with you? Then you wouldn't feel the need to homogenize your surroundings.

Anywho... Back to the topic...
How is equating gender and "gender identity" any different than race and "racial identity." Based on these precedents, are we on the verge of seeing Rachel Dolezal types being able to claim racial discrimination? I think so. Would this be a bad thing? Maybe not...

Well, you can't change your race more than superficially, but we have the technological ability to change someone's gender. We also have research that pretty plainly states that sometimes, gender is not 100% clear from birth.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:18 PM

1,351 posts, read 751,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well, you can't change your race more than superficially, but we have the technological ability to change someone's gender. We also have research that pretty plainly states that sometimes, gender is not 100% clear from birth.
But these laws seek to allow anyone the ability to claim any gender, no matter how superficially. It is entirely dependent on the identity one assumes at any given time. The same could be true of other protected classes of race, age or disability.

I think a strong argument could be made that if your gender identity is only based on preference, with no physical requirements, as is being claimed by the DOJ, the same could be said of race. Both started as biological facts, but by legitimizing the concept of identity fluidity, they can be anything at any time.

Last edited by vulfpeck; 05-05-2016 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 08:28 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,271,845 times
Quote:
But these laws seek to allow anyone the ability to claim any gender, no matter how superficially. It is entirely dependent on the identity one assumes at any given time. The same could be true of race, age or even species.
At the end of the day if there is no harm done why does it even matter. Ive never heard of any issues with this male/female bathroom situation. This was purely out of "potential" fear. Should we start considering passing laws that ban priests from being alone with children? I hear about the dangers of priests on children all the time in the news.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:36 PM

1,351 posts, read 751,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
At the end of the day if there is no harm done why does it even matter. Ive never heard of any issues with this male/female bathroom situation. This was purely out of "potential" fear. Should we start considering passing laws that ban priests from being alone with children? I hear about the dangers of priests on children all the time in the news.
If you make it impossible to kick out or arrest a man caught in the female showers without be sued, then you have indeed inflicted harm.

Previously, there was not a law making it discrimination to do so.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:47 AM

This just in:

Both the US Dept. of Transportation and HUD are now examining if HB2 violates anti-discrimination polices they have. If so, federal highway and housing funding would be at risk.

Please, before one the the great minds around here goes off on government over-reach, keep in mind nobody is forcing you to take this money. If you choose not to agree with the stipulations that come with the check then simply decline the offer.

Last edited by take57; 05-06-2016 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-06-2016, 12:57 PM

2,912 posts, read 3,549,656 times
Anyone who believes that this issue is being driven on either side by serious questions, civil rights, and concerns for safety is simply naive.

The entire matter is nothing more than pissing contest among politicians (sorta like this thread, only professionals are at work rather than amateurs).

If anyone who reads this has an open mind, he should look at the letter in today's N&O written by Governor Martin for a thoughtful analysis.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:02 PM

2,912 posts, read 3,549,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Please, before one the the great minds around here goes off on government over-reach, keep in mind nobody is forcing you to take this money. If you choose not to agree with the stipulations that come with the check then simply decline the offer.
You know, this sounds a lot like: "Nobody is forcing you to live here. If you choose not to agree with the legislature then simply move out of the state."

Old 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
You know, this sounds a lot like: "Nobody is forcing you to live here. If you choose not to agree with the legislature then simply move out of the state."
A great mind has checked in. Duly noted. Thank you for your input.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,183,240 times
Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of you guys aren't originally from these parts. Maybe you would be more comfortable in a state where voters and their representatives share your values?
My family moved to North Carolina in the 1800s. What do I win?

And as much grief as I give to people who move here, I rather be in a growing state, compared to one that is losing their population. One of the reasons people DID move here, were the relative progressive politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or