U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 01:19 PM

2,912 posts, read 3,538,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
A great mind has checked in. Duly noted. Thank you for your input.
You're welcome. Given the nature of your response, I evidently made my point well enough regarding the similarity of the two sentiments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 02:16 PM

5,748 posts, read 4,198,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Listen: Charlotte DIDN'T BREAK ANY STATE LAW.

That's why the GOP had to CONVENE AN EMERGENCY SESSION TO MAKE ONE UP.

Thats a fact.
There was an overreach when it came to the minimum wage. That is state mandated. That's a fact. There was also and overreach with the ordinance itself. What would have been wrong with the city going to the state and saying, "Hey, we want to enforce XYZ, because we feel we need these laws put in place for whatever reason"? Part of the problem in today's government is that there is too much competition from both sides and not enough communication and working together to solve some of these issues or at least work out a solution that works for most everyone.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:21 PM

5,748 posts, read 4,198,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Now, I can kind of agree Charlotte could have done this differently, but what state laws did they know they would be violating? I mean, since they had to do a special session and create the law to ban what Charlotte passed, so there was no pre-existing law, by definition.
For one thing, they were trying to approve a minimum wage increase for the city when they did not have the power to do so. That right there could have been enough for the state to say, what a minute, back up. It was definitely overreach for the city to tell private businesses that they must abide by a government sanctioned bathroom policy.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:22 PM

1,351 posts, read 740,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
My family moved to North Carolina in the 1800s. What do I win?
If you're competing with me, then nothing. I've got you beat by a century

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
And as much grief as I give to people who move here, I rather be in a growing state, compared to one that is losing their population. One of the reasons people DID move here, were the relative progressive politics.
I like living in a state with a mix of opinions. Funny that the Democrats held the legislature for a hundred years and liberals lose their minds after 4 years of conservative leadership. Learn to share the toys, I'm sure you'll be back in power driving up taxes and forcing your agenda on us eventually.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:26 PM

4,790 posts, read 2,550,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
You're welcome. Given the nature of your response, I evidently made my point well enough regarding the similarity of the two sentiments.
Since the issue was about federal funding I was thinking in terms of, for example, someone going to a bank expecting money for a loan and not liking the terms. If you don't like the terms, find another bank or simply don't take out a loan but if you want to make it about where one resides that's your prerogative.

Similar? Perhaps, but a false equivalency.

Last edited by take57; 05-06-2016 at 02:41 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Since the issue was about federal funding I was thinking in terms of, for example, someone going to a bank expecting money for a loan and not liking the terms. If you don't like the terms, find another bank or simply don't take out a loan but if you want to make it about where one resides that's your prerogative.

Similar? Perhaps, but a false equivalency.
Of course, the flow of money from the state to the feds and back to the state has essentially nothing in common with a loan from a bank to a consumer. For one thing, the market for loans is open and competitive -- if you don't like one bank, you can try another. This is not quite the same, as the US has only one federal government at the moment. Another difference can be illustrated as follows: I would bet heavily that almost everyone at UNC-CH is opposed to HB-2, and yet the threat is to cut-off funds to UNC-CH -- in other words, an innocent hostage has been taken, and we see bullying by the Feds in full form.

But I really enjoyed the following, especially coming from as great a mind as yours:

Quote:
Anyone looking for a nice condo in downtown Raleigh?

Old 05-06-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Of course, the flow of money from the state to the feds and back to the state has essentially nothing in common with a loan from a bank to a consumer. For one thing, the market for loans is open and competitive -- if you don't like one bank, you can try another. This is not quite the same, as the US has only one federal government at the moment. Another difference can be illustrated as follows: I would bet heavily that almost everyone at UNC-CH is opposed to HB-2, and yet the threat is to cut-off funds to UNC-CH -- in other words, an innocent hostage has been taken, and we see bullying by the Feds in full form.

But I really enjoyed the following, especially coming from as great a mind as yours:
Quote:
Anyone looking for a nice condo in downtown Raleigh?
Just protecting an investment...

Incidentally, you're right about there only being one bank in town, but wrong about the alternatives as I'd previously mentioned. Just refuse the federal money if you feel you're being 'bullied'. Take that righteous indignation and make up the funds from your North Carolinian constituents. Or burn it all down... Lookie... two ideas right there!

Last edited by take57; 05-06-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Just refuse the federal money if you feel you're being 'bullied'.
First cousin to "just leave if you don't like it here."

Old 05-06-2016, 04:51 PM

1,351 posts, read 740,875 times
Quote:

Incidentally, you're right about there only being one bank in town, but wrong about the alternatives as I'd previously mentioned. Just refuse the federal money if you feel you're being 'bullied'. Take that righteous indignation and make up the funds from your North Carolinian constituents. Or burn it all down... Lookie... two ideas right there!
It's federal tax money. A good portion of which came from North Carolina. Bullying, maybe. Extortion? Definitely.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
First cousin to "just leave if you don't like it here."
How so? If the GA feel that the good people of North Carolina are on their side of this, then turn down the money and ask them to make up the shortfall. Certainly they'd be willing operate the colleges on state funds only and exclusively. Same with transportation work and housing. (Just as an aside, I'm hoping the USDOT is also casting an eye at federal fund used at keeping airports operating as part of the anti-discrimination investigation. Remind me to drop them a note)

If state funding is not forthcoming, let the chips fall where they may and hope you didn't have your heart set in getting a higher (or much if any) education in North Carolina.

Nothing about that suggests if you don't like it here.. blah, blah, blah. Just pragmatic responses to a given set of circumstances.

Oh wait, there's one other thing that could be done. Relegate HB2 to the dustbin of southern bigotry and rescind the damn thing already...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or