Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 02:14 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasallyttle View Post
From the News Observer article linked in the post above:

At the hands of his henchmen in the U.S. Department of Justice, King Obama has delivered his message of intimidation to the state of North Carolina,” executive director Mark Creechsaid on Facebook. “The Great Pontiff of Political Correctness holds the educational futures of our state’s children hostage, while dangling the money bags of federal funds over their heads, demanding in exchange North Carolina bow to the madness of obliterating male and female distinctives.”

Wow. These people are incredibly immature. They have no respect for the U.S. system in which they work. They all knew going into the jobs that Federal laws exist and override any more restrictive state laws. These NC yokels have made their state's Federal Education funding into a playground standoff of double dog dare. Apparently none of them have a bigger political vision for their careers of moving into the Federal arena.
Just as those who were on the Charlotte Council knew going into their jobs that the state laws exist and override any more restrictive city ordinances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 02:20 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Just as those who were on the Charlotte Council knew going into their jobs that the state laws exist and override any more restrictive city ordinances.

So Charlotte should illegally allow discrimination to please Raleigh?

Old 05-05-2016, 02:21 PM

530 posts, read 637,785 times
I can't believe (well sadly I an), that the assembly is seriously going to rebuke the US Department of Justice. This is embarrassing.

They won't stop until North Carolina is such a ridiculous laughing stock and has taken such economic damage that no talented people would dare move here. Even now I know my department at Duke was having some issues recruiting incoming PhD students in the wake of HB2. Continuing this fight, it is just, wow.

I'll be here for about one more year. I've been debating staying in this state longer, but honestly I don't think I can justify it. It's sad to see this happen.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:40 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
It's always amusing to hear armchair experts pontificate on what is and what's not constitutional. The HB-2 situation is quite far from clear, and should (may, might well) be decided in the Supreme Court. Just as a matter of review:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution . . . are reserved to the States . . . " -- United States Constitution, Amendment X

My copy of the constitution does not delegate the power to edict who uses which bathroom to the United States.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:50 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
So Charlotte should illegally allow discrimination to please Raleigh?
Charlotte should have worked with the GA to ensure their ordinance was in compliance with state law. I see the hypocrisy in some where they're all for a city overriding state law if it suits their political agenda, but in the same breath suggest that the state has no choice but to adhere to the federal government because the federal law overrides the state and, by golly, that is how the government is structured! Please....you can't have it both ways.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:51 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
Even now I know my department at Duke was having some issues recruiting incoming PhD students in the wake of HB2.
But look at the bright side. Duke can use this issue as a screening tool: anyone who declines to study at Duke because of a pissing contest among politicians is most likely a first-rate dope.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,032 times
UPDATE:

UNC faces Monday deadline on HB2 bathroom issue

The UNC System received about $1.4 billion in federal money in 2014-2015, according to system officials.

“We take this determination seriously and will be conferring with the Governor’s Office, legislative leaders, and counsel about next steps and will respond to the Department by its May 9 deadline,”

UNC faces Monday deadline on HB2 bathroom issue | The Charlotte Observer

1,400,000,000+800,000,000 = $2,200,000,000 GONE

Old 05-05-2016, 04:01 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Charlotte should have worked with the GA to ensure their ordinance was in compliance with state law. I see the hypocrisy in some where they're all for a city overriding state law if it suits their political agenda, but in the same breath suggest that the state has no choice but to adhere to the federal government because the federal law overrides the state and, by golly, that is how the government is structured! Please....you can't have it both ways.
Listen: Charlotte DIDN'T BREAK ANY STATE LAW.

That's why the GOP had to CONVENE AN EMERGENCY SESSION TO MAKE ONE UP.

Thats a fact.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:37 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
NC House Speaker: Obama DOJ Can Shove Its Deadline On Anti-LGBT Bill

Oh Boy. I feel bad for the decent half of NC's citizens.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:58 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
"That deadline will come and go. We don’t ever want to lose any money, but we’re not going to get bullied by the Obama administration to take action prior to Monday’s date. That’s not how this works."

- NC House Speaker Tim Moore

Ironic the word "bullied" is used in the context of what HB2 represents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina