Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 06:16 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,581,741 times

Advertisements

+1 for Mccrory on this stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 07:01 AM

3,860 posts, read 4,248,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
+1 for Mccrory on this stance.
Don't know if history will be so kind. It's very reminiscent of George Wallace and the Jim Crowe 50s/60s Civil Rights movement. His very words are carbon copies of that day such as "government overreach", etc. It's literally verbatim and almost repetitive language. It's the language of fear, change and ignorance of the issue. And like that era, the federal government has had to intervene to halt an irrational fear of the unknown (or known).

McCrory is going to make history for all the wrong reasons. Very similar to the lawyer (Nifong) in the Duke Lacrosse case, yearning for the notoriety but gets slammed in the end, indeed over his head. The republican governor of Georgia did the right thing, ran away from the issue like an uncontrollable wild fire. This idiot doesn't seem to recognize the big ball of fire heading his way.

The more recognizable and direct threat to little girls is at home or a relative/family friend, associate, etc. The data is the data.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 05-10-2016 at 08:10 AM..

Old 05-10-2016, 09:58 AM

22,634 posts, read 14,886,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Don't know if history will be so kind. It's very reminiscent of George Wallace and the Jim Crowe 50s/60s Civil Rights movement. His very words are carbon copies of that day such as "government overreach", etc. It's literally verbatim and almost repetitive language ...
Excellent point. You nailed it!

McCrory is on the wrong side of history.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:04 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,273,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Don't know if history will be so kind. It's very reminiscent of George Wallace and the Jim Crowe 50s/60s Civil Rights movement. His very words are carbon copies of that day such as "government overreach", etc. It's literally verbatim and almost repetitive language. It's the language of fear, change and ignorance of the issue. And like that era, the federal government has had to intervene to halt an irrational fear of the unknown (or known).
Are you saying that the treatment of the transgender community in North Carolina today and the Wallace-era treatment of Blacks in Alabama are comparable? In fact, there is no parallel to George Wallace here, and there is no parallel to the Jim Crow laws. In my entire life, I have not heard of a TG person being attacked by police dogs in NC simply for being TG. Nor have I ever heard of a legitimately TG person being prosecuted in NC over bathroom choice. Maybe the moral Monday mentality is running thin on grievances. Maybe the Carrboro/Chapel Hill crowd has become just a little bit too shrill.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:36 PM

3,860 posts, read 4,248,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Are you saying that the treatment of the transgender community in North Carolina today and the Wallace-era treatment of Blacks in Alabama are comparable? In fact, there is no parallel to George Wallace here, and there is no parallel to the Jim Crow laws. In my entire life, I have not heard of a TG person being attacked by police dogs in NC simply for being TG. Nor have I ever heard of a legitimately TG person being prosecuted in NC over bathroom choice. Maybe the moral Monday mentality is running thin on grievances. Maybe the Carrboro/Chapel Hill crowd has become just a little bit too shrill.
Obviously not since I'm African American and was there during the start of school integration as an elementary student in the late 60s/early 70s. However, that rhetoric is eerily similar with regard to the bombastic talk of government overreach and the meddling federal government. An exact parallel in language. Trust, some of the right wing holier than thou crowd would sick dogs along with implementing other outrageous measures to protect little Sally if they could readily identify a TG. They've built up a similar angst akin to the past Civil Rights era purely through fear of the unknown. I don't do Moral Monday or Jesus Tuesday. I do Jesus on Wednesday (Bible Study) and Sunday...

Old 05-10-2016, 03:20 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,505,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I remember hearing George C Wallace give speeches. There is absolutely a direct correlation.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:29 PM

1,360 posts, read 999,312 times
If the primary social injustice of our time is that people can't use whatever public restroom they want, then we should all be very pleased that we've finally jumped the discrimination shark.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:29 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,587,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
If the primary social injustice of our time is that people can't use whatever public restroom they want, then we should all be very pleased that we've finally jumped the discrimination shark.
Primary? This is just one of many people are fighting for. With social media and people actually being involved in what happens int heir life it just gets more air time.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,007,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
The loss of Title IX is now in the federal appeals court and is being challenged.

"The appeal states the judge refused expert witness testimony, allowed hearsay evidence on behalf of the school district but not on behalf of the student, refused testimony from the student, referred to the student as having a "mental disorder" – even after being informed that "The American Psychiatric Association has made clear that Gender Dysphoria should not be described as a ‘disorder’" – and went off on a tangent about federal policies concerning drug use, immigration and other unrelated issues."

Pretty clear that the ruling of the 4th will go against the judge and NC will lose the $4.5 billion in Title IX funding unless they repeal the law. FYI, GA has already asked the NBA to move the tournament from Charlotte to Atlanta.

The NCAA took SC off the list for tournament venues when they put the Confederate flag at the capital and SC has not seen an NCAA tournament in over 40 years.
There is no such thing as 4.5 Billion in Title IX funding.

That is money people in NC paid in federal taxes that is refunded. What the government is doing is bribing NC so they follow the rules the government wants them to follow. The money isn't the federal governments it is NC's money.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-10-2016 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: refrain from unneccary banter

Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,007,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I remember hearing George C Wallace give speeches. There is absolutely a direct correlation.
The dumbest statement I have heard on city data.

Ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina