Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:01 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,585,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Let me guess you have no daughters or granddaughters. Men in women's restrooms sounds like a nightmare to me. When can we get some civil rights for women and children? When did women and children become second class citizens with no rights to privacy and safety? Talk about a war on women.
This is the same tired argument, and it has been proven by every other city that has passed these laws it doesn't happen. What stops a perverted man now from walking into a bathroom? A door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 01:08 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,466,051 times
Quote:
Let me guess you have no daughters or granddaughters. Men in women's restrooms sounds like a nightmare to me. When can we get some civil rights for women and children? When did women and children become second class citizens with no rights to privacy and safety? Talk about a war on women.
Still choosing to ignore the legislature's mandate aren't you.

They are mandating individuals who are classified as female on their birth certificates but who look like men to use the ladies rooms. There you have it, our government in action, looking out for no one but themselves.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:27 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,516,795 times
Quote:
This is a right wing issue that is looking for a problem, just as voter fraud. It does not exist. If you want to pass a bathroom law, pass one that says public bathrooms must be clean.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:49 PM

3,860 posts, read 4,241,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
We live in an age of terrible government across the board. No, the GOP is not interested in the economic well-being of others, nor is the democrat party. Both have only one interest -- their own.

There is zero chance that BofA will leave NC, unless it is in their own short-term economic interest, in which case they're as good as gone irrespective of HB-2. Think about the massive outflow of textile and furniture jobs, which had absolutely nothing to do with the kind of trivial morality that anti-HB2 prigs talk about.

For the record, I'm using the Fowler and Gowers definition: " [a prig] calls in the first principles of morality to decide whether he may, or must, do something of as little importance as drinking a glass of beer." They go on to note three characteristics of the prig: (1) the desire to do his duty, (2) the belief that he knows better than other people, and (3) blindness to the difference in value between different things."

Here's a perfect example of politicians at work, all chasing the high moral ground, of course: CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - "A bipartisan group of more than 40 Connecticut legislators has written a letter to Charlotte-based Bank of America inviting the corporation to relocate its corporate headquarters to Connecticut. "

By the way, you diminish your stature and weaken your argument when you use the "wtf?" construction.

BoA was a threat to leave NC prior to HB2 and this doesn't help the cause. Back to the issue. The Republican governor of Georgia vetoed the dumb ass bill. McCory didn't. He had the power to veto the bill and have it restructured to appease both sides. Your entire premise/argument/dribble is weak and therefore requires a WTF. And you keep trying to a rabbit out of your ass to make an argument. The Governor dropped the ball and so has his poll numbers. I say a few anti-Cooper ads last night, gotta start spending money much earlier than anticipated, not a good sign.

And this government is no worse than yesteryears. Not sure about the infatuation with a past that never was....read a history book. This country and government has had turmoil from Day 1 and improved over time. Only problem is one party refuses to accept or acknowledge change. Akin to the notion of take our country back. From who?

Old 05-13-2016, 03:28 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,269,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
BoA was a threat to leave NC prior to HB2 and this doesn't help the cause. Back to the issue. The Republican governor of Georgia vetoed the dumb ass bill. McCory didn't. He had the power to veto the bill and have it restructured to appease both sides. Your entire premise/argument/dribble is weak and therefore requires a WTF. And you keep trying to a rabbit out of your ass to make an argument. The Governor dropped the ball and so has his poll numbers. I say a few anti-Cooper ads last night, gotta start spending money much earlier than anticipated, not a good sign.

And this government is no worse than yesteryears. Not sure about the infatuation with a past that never was....read a history book. This country and government has had turmoil from Day 1 and improved over time. Only problem is one party refuses to accept or acknowledge change. Akin to the notion of take our country back. From who?
There's no need to become shrill.

But see, this is what I have been saying about Corporate America -- BofA could well be using this rumpus in an attempt to put a positive spin on their decision -- if indeed they have made such a decision, which I don't know -- to leave NC. Their sanctimonious position has nothing to do with the issues at hand, except to make BofA look like a paragon of virtue at a time when they were (hypothetically) planning to leave the state anyway.

Regarding history: I have lived through enough of it to be convinced that our affairs of state have their ups and downs. We are now down. We were down during the Vietnam War. We have not been lower in my lifetime than during the recent financial crisis. We were down during the Carter years, and for most of the Bush II period. Things were much better under Eisenhower, Kennedy, Reagan, and senior Bush, and a little better under Clinton. YMMV, of course.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,034,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
This is a right wing issue that is looking for a problem, just as voter fraud. It does not exist. If you want to pass a bathroom law, pass one that says public bathrooms must be clean.
^

Old 05-13-2016, 06:24 PM

7,179 posts, read 6,740,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I say a few anti-Cooper ads last night, gotta start spending money much earlier than anticipated, not a good sign.
I saw those ads too. I pull in WXII (NBC 12) from the Triad using rabbit ears in my house. McCrory knows he's in trouble come November. I haven't seen any anti-McCrory ads yet.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,446,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I saw those ads too. I pull in WXII (NBC 12) from the Triad using rabbit ears in my house. McCrory knows he's in trouble come November. I haven't seen any anti-McCrory ads yet.
I saw those ads as well. They were produced by the Republican Governors Association. In the commercial, Roy Cooper is accused of raising taxes on everything other than sunlight! I've lived here nearly 11 years and he's been the AG the entire time. When was all of this raising of taxes happening? I do know that Governor McCrory has raised sales taxes on a wide variety of products and services, and with the storm of HB2 over his head, it will be a very interesting election season. To be fair, Governor McCrory and his legislative cronies did lower income tax rates, but since I have little taxable NC income, I'm more upset with sales tax on almost everything under the sun! Governor Pat has morphed from a moderate Republican to a vicious, right-wing lapdog in service to the small-brained leaders of his party. I can't wait until November to rid NC of Pat's poor leadership!

Old 05-13-2016, 07:50 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,375,239 times
Well, i can't say i didn't see this coming.

Bye, McCrory. Don't let the door hit ya on your way out.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:19 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,435,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Ive seen Anti mccrory ads all over hulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina