Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 10:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i think unemployment and other issues are a lot more serious for most people in NC and nationwide. There are thousands of more people unemployed than there are 'transgendered' people.

I think that the threads on the issue could be merged so people not interested in the issue don't have to wade through them to see the city related topics.

I'll give you a "yeah but"

Yeah but a number of companies have already said that they won't be opening or expanding operations in NC. This doesn't help reduce unemployment. So it's all connected.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:54 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post

Yeah but a number of companies have already said that they won't be opening or expanding operations in NC. This doesn't help reduce unemployment. So it's all connected.
"Yeah but" the actual economic impact of HB2 has been greatly exaggerated. Very few businesses, if any, would actually change their relocation or expansion plans based entirely on a lack of LGBT anti-discrimination laws in a given state. If so, they wouldn't be relocating to most states or within the United States itself. Those that claim to do so are just playing a hot topic for PR value.

There is no federal statute addressing employment discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. Protections at the national level are limited. Some regulations protect government employees but do not extend their protections to the private sector.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:24 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post

That doesn't mean their competitors won't move in if there is money to be made in NC. So there won't be a net loss of jobs, just a replacement of companies. There would have to be an oligarchy in place for there to be a net loss of jobs over this.

I think it would be good if this issue was decided by voter referendum because I think the majority of people in NC support the bill but currently the critics can say otherwise. I would break the bathroom / locker room aspect out from the rest of it so we can determine specificaly how many people support / oppose it.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:55 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Does every new development with HB2 need it's own thread?

Same answer last time this question was asked: Absolutely.

Burying the issue won't make it go away. If you support HB2 be loud and proud of what it has done to the state. Cheer it on every day. Unless of course there really is something to be ashamed of...

BTW - Maroon 5 cancelled their NC appearances.

Part of a statement from Ricky Diaz, a spokesman for North Carolina's Republican Gov. Pat McCrory:

"We may never know why Maroon 5 waited until weeks later to make their political statement, but at this point, the only people they are hurting by hypocritically targeting North Carolina for selective outrage are their fans and the hardworking men and women servicing these shows while they keep tour dates overseas – even in Russia."

Quick, change the state motto from "First in Flight" to "We're Not As Bad As Russia"

Last edited by take57; 05-20-2016 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 01:06 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
BTW - Maroon 5 cancelled their NC appearances.
Probably the biggest win so far after Ringo. Then after Russia they are in Turkey. A place so bad the guy who runs it is trying to have foreign journalists arrested. They are really showing us their values run deep.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i think unemployment and other issues are a lot more serious for most people in NC and nationwide. There are thousands of more people unemployed than there are 'transgendered' people.
Which means you drank the koolaid.

By putting the word Transgender on the first line, Republicans have insured that most people will think that is all it is about and go "Ew, Gross!"

What most people don't realize is that the act also prohibits municipalities in North Carolina from enacting certain policies that could have impact on all citizens.

1. anti-discrimination policies (of any kind)
2. setting a local minimum wage, regulating child labor, or making certain regulations for city workers.
3. the statutory and common law private right of action to enforce state anti-discrimination statutes in state courts.

So if any citizen of the state is discriminated against, they can't sue in state court. What? you can't sue to enforce state statutes in state court? That doesn't even make sense.

Sorry, that violates the trust between municipalities and state govt. It will cause the violation of the civil rights of anyone who has been discriminated against, for any reason. Not just people who are transgendered. Now the whole mess will have work it's way through the federal court system, then be overturned.

Remember Proposition 1???? How much did that fiasco cost the state in legal fees? I would love it if we could have spent that time and money on something important...like job development. But the legislature does not see that as their responsibility. They are busy trying to get re-elected at any cost. And now we are going around again.

So, yeah, this deserves a bump up to the top of the forum every few days until it dies.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:35 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Which means you drank the koolaid.

By putting the word Transgender on the first line, Republicans have insured that most people will think that is all it is about and go "Ew, Gross!"

What most people don't realize is that the act also prohibits municipalities in North Carolina from enacting certain policies that could have impact on all citizens.

1. anti-discrimination policies (of any kind)
2. setting a local minimum wage, regulating child labor, or making certain regulations for city workers.
3. the statutory and common law private right of action to enforce state anti-discrimination statutes in state courts.

So if any citizen of the state is discriminated against, they can't sue in state court. What? you can't sue to enforce state statutes in state court? That doesn't even make sense.

Sorry, that violates the trust between municipalities and state govt. It will cause the violation of the civil rights of anyone who has been discriminated against, for any reason. Not just people who are transgendered. Now the whole mess will have work it's way through the federal court system, then be overturned.

Remember Proposition 1???? How much did that fiasco cost the state in legal fees? I would love it if we could have spent that time and money on something important...like job development. But the legislature does not see that as their responsibility. They are busy trying to get re-elected at any cost. And now we are going around again.

So, yeah, this deserves a bump up to the top of the forum every few days until it dies.
+5

I can't rep you again.

Someone posted this in another thread. It sums it all up, perfectly. HB2 is a gift to Art Pope for campaign money & the bathrooms are the smokescreen.

http://www.journalnow.com/opinion/co...cc723ef62.html

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-20-2016 at 02:47 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 02:41 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
i love the 'bathroom is a smokescreen' deflection given the critics of the bill do support transgenders being allowed to use the opposite sex bathroom.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:05 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,358 times
Discrimination laws are based on the premise that people should not have the sole discretion to hire, pay and do business with whoever they choose. I disagree.

HB2 was a step in the right direction. The weakest component, by Libertarian standards, was superseding city control. Despite that, they were able to prevent Charlotte's attempt to remove the right of private business to control the use of their own restrooms and showers.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:52 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/20/medi...-concert-lgbt/Maroon 5 just cancelled their shows in Raleigh and Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina