Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:59 AM

116 posts, read 425,368 times

Advertisements

I think race discrimination is reversed in the South, being a new Anglo transplant I find that I am treated differently by many African/Americans and Hispanics, my observation is that most don't want anything to do with white people and segregate themselves in their own neighborhoods. I've been warned not to go driving in areas like Princess Place Rd area if I don't want to become a victim.
It makes me very uncomfortable, so I avoid areas that are predominately African/American now, to be safe and to avoid being victimized.
As far as mixed race couples go, who cares, as long as they are happy together and be good to each other, I don't like stereo typing people but I'm a little disappointed in the racial disharmony I feel in Wilmington. Just my opinion, but I feel mixed marriages in the North were accepted more than in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 02:40 PM

62 posts, read 173,594 times
Thumbs down chgomom's post = garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgomom View Post
North Carolina, is the most racist place I have ever lived. I know its all over, but I have never seen such blatent disregard for common decency. It's like living in 1953, and anyone that trys to say it isn't is either not telling the truth, or completely blind. I am from the North and white. I have even been discriminated against down here living just 30 min outside of Raleigh, trying to get jobs. I have been told "Your northen accent might not be appropriate" -- never mind I have an outstanding work history, a 4 yr degree and excellent references....I have been told that I wouldn't understand because I'm from Chicago. Then seeing yes, the way people talk about African Americans out in public, Hispanics, even Asians. I am disgusted after nearly two and a half years and moving back to Chicago. It may exist here, but it certainly would not be tolerated to this degree.

Further to that, there have been many incidences even against homosexuals on the campuses of NC colleges, so such a degree that students have been beat.

If you are looking for a more even, but still South Location Tenn, or Florida are lovely. Steer clear of NC. It's quite backwards, and I am disgusted with my experience thus far.
Looks like we have a troll here...

NC is well known as one of, if not the most, tolerant state in the South. Your post is bull****. I am a white native NC'ian and work with MANY blacks and asians. I have yet to hear or feel ANY racial tension where I work. Last time I heard any derogatory racial words was over 2 years ago, and that was from a co-worker in private. It surprised me.
You must live in the sticks in Smithfeild/Johnston County (home of the NC KKK, so I've heard). But I am still VERY suspicious of you and your post

Btw, here is a nice little map for you. It shows the most and least segregated metros in the U.S. Looks like your beloved Chicago is the 4th most segregated metro in the U.S. And on top of that, the surrounding areas (Milwaukee and Gary, IN - which is part of the Chgo metro) are among the most segregated metros in the country. All of the most segregated metros are in the North; NONE are in the South. The least segregated metros are in the West. http://www.blackdemographics.com/Seg...ties_small.jpg

But yes, PLEASE LEAVE!! Go back to Chgo. It is always your type (obnoxious transplants) that stirs up crap here.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
I dont want to offend anyone or sound rude but can you please answer my questions?
Just noticed your posts. There will always be people that wanna stay with their own race and there are people that will veer off and breed with another race.
It's all part of Mother Nature I think. Most of us are not 100% "pure" anyway.
Most native Southern whites and blacks (by 'native' I mean people that have been here since colonial days) have a little Native American Indian blood in them. And there were A LOT of mulattoes (black/white mix) back in the mid 1800's / Civil War days. I have seen the census records from that time when I was a member of Ancestry.com I was amazed at how many mulattoes there were in NC.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:14 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgomom View Post
North Carolina, is the most racist place I have ever lived. I know its all over, but I have never seen such blatent disregard for common decency. It's like living in 1953, and anyone that trys to say it isn't is either not telling the truth, or completely blind. I am from the North and white. I have even been discriminated against down here living just 30 min outside of Raleigh, trying to get jobs. I have been told "Your northen accent might not be appropriate" -- never mind I have an outstanding work history, a 4 yr degree and excellent references....I have been told that I wouldn't understand because I'm from Chicago. Then seeing yes, the way people talk about African Americans out in public, Hispanics, even Asians. I am disgusted after nearly two and a half years and moving back to Chicago. It may exist here, but it certainly would not be tolerated to this degree.

Further to that, there have been many incidences even against homosexuals on the campuses of NC colleges, so such a degree that students have been beat.

If you are looking for a more even, but still South Location Tenn, or Florida are lovely. Steer clear of NC. It's quite backwards, and I am disgusted with my experience thus far.
I have been in NC most of my life and find it very integrated. Many people live and work together here in the South. In many other parts of the country like in the Midwest and parts of the NE it's very segregated, including your beloved Chicago. My boyfriends family is from Chicago and I have heard how segregated and racist it can be up there. I have heard from others who come from the Midwest and say and how suprised they are to see everyone living and working together here. And NC is a very progressive state, the opposite of what you claim.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:42 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I have been in NC most of my life and find it very integrated. Many people live and work together here in the South. In many other parts of the country like in the Midwest and parts of the NE it's very segregated, including your beloved Chicago. My boyfriends family is from Chicago and I have heard how segregated and racist it can be up there. I have heard from others who come from the Midwest and say and how suprised they are to see everyone living and working together here. And NC is a very progressive state, the opposite of what you claim.
I agree with what you say about Chicago. I was born there and still have family there. The old days where the Irish, Italians, Poles, Jews, Blacks and other groups of people lived in their "own" neighborhoods still exists today. Though many people have fled to the suburbs and it might not be defined by those specific groups. I will say one reason for flight from the city is the tax rate from sales tax through home and car insurance. That said, through schools and stores and general proximity those groups mixed when I was young. But biogtry does exist there.

In the two years I have lived here in NC I have not seen any prejudice towards anyone. I'm sure it exists but it is not blatant and everywhere. It's human nature for one group not to like another for whatever reason.

I still have my Midwest accent even after spending 35 years in Florida and never once have I had a problem here. And I am not in a big city.

You don't have to like living in NC. That is your right. And just so everyone knows, the vast majority of people in Chicago and the suburbs are very nice people and the poster from Chicago is not representative of them.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 PM

Smile yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Great post! Catrick's post was pretty good too

Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCnut View Post
Just noticed your posts. There will always be people that wanna stay with their own race and there are people that will veer off and breed with another race.
It's all part of Mother Nature I think. Most of us are not 100% "pure" anyway.
Most native Southern whites and blacks (by 'native' I mean people that have been here since colonial days) have a little Native American Indian blood in them. And there were A LOT of mulattoes (black/white mix) back in the mid 1800's / Civil War days. I have seen the census records from that time when I was a member of Ancestry.com I was amazed at how many mulattoes there were in NC.

Thank you for answering That helped me understand a little more.
Instant +rep.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Raivere,

Apparently I don't read through all the threads. Personally I feel if two people love each other, regardless of race, ethnic background, religion or whatever, they should be together. I know several couples who have married outside their race or religion, and all are happy. They were aware of the possible problems they could have and were preprared for whatever came their way.

I am no saint but I try and look at it that we are all one. All in this together. For me not to like someone they have to show me they are not worthy of my liking them or my respect. For example, if they are kind, respectful, funny then there fine with me. Rude, bigoted, mean. Forget them.

Don't know if that answers your question but just my opinion.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:48 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Raivere,

Apparently I don't read through all the threads. Personally I feel if two people love each other, regardless of race, ethnic background, religion or whatever, they should be together. I know several couples who have married outside their race or religion, and all are happy. They were aware of the possible problems they could have and were preprared for whatever came their way.

I am no saint but I try and look at it that we are all one. All in this together. For me not to like someone they have to show me they are not worthy of my liking them or my respect. For example, if they are kind, respectful, funny then there fine with me. Rude, bigoted, mean. Forget them.

Don't know if that answers your question but just my opinion.
Well i think it is a good oppinion

Old 12-22-2009, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,074 times
Smile Love YourSelf, so you can Love Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
Two questions for caucasion people.
Why do you do this? Arn't you afraid your race will disapear?

Please reply
Why would anyone want to be afraid of their race dispearing besides, interracial is such a beautiful world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina