U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:28 PM

1,351 posts, read 753,818 times

Advertisements

"A legendary North Carolina chain is in hot water after refusing to serve Donald Trump supporters.

Shannon Riggs and her cousins were turned away from a Cook Out in Colonial Heights, Virginia, on Friday night, when they showed up in Donald Trump shirts and hats, reports WTVR."

Cook Out refused to serve Trump fans - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 03:02 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,109,629 times
While they might have the legal right to do so, I prefer that a business not refuse to serve anyone due to the customer's beliefs - political, religious, etc.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:25 PM

I agree, but it's nice to see people exercise the right to refuse service every so often, so it's not forgotten. A lot of people these days seem to think people providing services shouldn't be able to choose who they do business with.

Boycotts can work both ways.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:18 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,804,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
I agree, but it's nice to see people exercise the right to refuse service every so often, so it's not forgotten. A lot of people these days seem to think people providing services shouldn't be able to choose who they do business with.

Boycotts can work both ways.
Ok so you support segregation?

Also I would report this topic if I knew where the button was

Old 06-14-2016, 05:43 PM

3,868 posts, read 6,670,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post

It's the red triangle in the right top corner of each post.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:11 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,026,215 times
There's a big difference between an official policy from the corporate office saying "we refuse to serve Trump supporters" and a single employee yelling (directly quoted from the article), "Hell no! I'm not serving them."

The corporate response was that the issue was "resolved that night per Cook Out policy", so I'd have to think there were some negative repercussions for the employee who did that.

Some of the commentary of people getting mad as if Cook Out is out to get them with this as their official policy is ridiculous! It's pretty embarrassing (but not really surprising) how dense people must be to really think this is some sort of company policy.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-14-2016 at 07:19 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Some of the commentary of people getting mad as if Cook Out is out to get them with this as their official policy is ridiculous! It's pretty embarrassing (but not really surprising) how dense people must be to really think this is some sort of company policy.
Yeah, "Rando Cookout Employee Is Rude to Customer" would be more truthful, but how many clicks would that get?

Old 06-14-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Not as policy, but people can and do choose to segregate themselves all the time. Not sure that has much to do with the topic though...

Quote:
Because I mentioned a particular business? I mentioned Cheerwine a while back and no one seemed to mind.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:57 PM

476 posts, read 297,459 times
This is ridiculous! Regardless of who you are supporting you have the right to be treated equally. Whether they are wearing Trump or Clinton shirts makes no difference. The next thing people will be refusing to serve redheads or people that look "funny." That employee should have lost his/her job immediately. What an awful way to treat your customers.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
This is ridiculous! Regardless of who you are supporting you have the right to be treated equally.
Disagree. Equal under the law, not equal access to milkshakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
That employee should have lost his/her job immediately. What an awful way to treat your customers.
Agree. Bad for business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina