Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:52 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
God I wouldn't want to retire in Durham that's like retiring in Cincinnati Richmond or Columbia

I'm here because I need to work

Wilmington hands down

(I live in Durham grew up near Wilmington)
And what's wrong with retiring in any of those places? They have much to offer retirees for a pretty reasonable cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 08:57 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And what's wrong with retiring in any of those places? They have much to offer retirees for a pretty reasonable cost.
i mean nothing they just dont have any of the connotations as being desirable for someone who is done working

i mean whats the difference between 'retiring to' and 'moving to'

all i mean to say is its just one of a swath of medium size cities where most people are just working, not much in the sense of 'retirement amenities'

if one truly didnt have to work and was retired why would you want to move somewhere where most people are just doing the rat race, and doesn't ahve much compared to other places in regard to natural features

Old 06-28-2016, 10:01 AM

142 posts, read 175,891 times
Quote:
i mean nothing they just dont have any of the connotations as being desirable for someone who is done working

all i mean to say is its just one of a swath of medium size cities where most people are just working, not much in the sense of 'retirement amenities'

if one truly didnt have to work and was retired why would you want to move somewhere where most people are just doing the rat race, and doesn't ahve much compared to other places in regard to natural features
Durham has a lot of things that are great for retirees. You don't have to be at the beach to retire. This area has tons of continuing education classes and special events for Seniors, DPAC shows, community events, outdoor spaces, health and wellness programs, great access to medical care, etc.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

What do you consider to be retirement amenities?

Old 06-28-2016, 10:13 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityEric View Post
Durham has a lot of things that are great for retirees. You don't have to be at the beach to retire. This area has tons of continuing education classes and special events for Seniors, DPAC shows, community events, outdoor spaces, health and wellness programs, great access to medical care, etc.
We retired close to the beach, and frankly, I am bored here. You can only get sun-burned so many times. I would love to be in a more urban with classes, theater, museums, and specialty medical care. The city of Wilmington has some of these options, but Durham has a lot more. Durham also has Carolina Arbors, on of the few 55+ communities in North Carolina.

The location you chose should allow you to do what you want to for the rest of your life.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityEric View Post
i would expect to find that stuff in any city its size

Old 06-28-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
We retired close to the beach, and frankly, I am bored here. You can only get sun-burned so many times. I would love to be in a more urban with classes, theater, museums, and specialty medical care. The city of Wilmington has some of these options, but Durham has a lot more. Durham also has Carolina Arbors, on of the few 55+ communities in North Carolina.

The location you chose should allow you to do what you want to for the rest of your life.
fair

but why not retire to DC then? or charlotte? or Raleigh? or Columbia?

or Pittsburgh or Philadelphia

I understand those desires but if you follow it to its logical end you should 'retire to' NYC unless you are just trying to compromise on some stuff but want the urban lifestyle --> lower COL less cold

I mean in a state with mountains on one end and ocean on the other people would prefer to live in the place with neither convenient and it's not even like the Triangle/Charlotte have much native culture.

Last edited by hey_guy; 06-28-2016 at 12:04 PM..

Old 06-28-2016, 12:11 PM

530 posts, read 637,891 times
Places like DC or New York are far more expensive and crowded. Durham is still a small city.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:23 PM

734 posts, read 920,400 times
From reading these reviews, I'm still at a lost. We would like to find a place that is under $180k and and area that has great hospitals and medical care.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:31 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I've lived in both, though not as a retiree - if the ocean isn't important to you, Wilmington probably will get very boring very quickly. It has a great downtown, but eh to the rest, in my opinion.

Durham has a lot and you can also take advantage of interesting things going on in Chapel Hill - it might be the better choice for you, and you could find an older home for under $180.

I definitely suggest visiting both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina