U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,105 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I are thinking of moving to North Carolina from the DC area within the next year and I do have a couple of questions and would appreciate some help. We plan on visiting the area before any major changes so I am trying to get a feel on the best places to go.
I am an RN working in outpatient children's clinic. My husband is presently on disability but should be back to working as a general laborer by the time we move. How is the job outlook?
We are an interracial couple so we are looking for some place that would be accepting of that.
I personally am tired of the extreme cost of living here, everyone being so self-absorbed, money hungry and the ridiculous commute times/traffic.
I would love to rent a small house with a little land because we have pets. Our children are on their own now so it would be just the 2 of us.
Thanks in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 11:20 AM

11,228 posts, read 19,674,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMary View Post
I am an RN working in outpatient children's clinic. My husband is presently on disability but should be back to working as a general laborer by the time we move. How is the job outlook?
We are an interracial couple so we are looking for some place that would be accepting of that.
I would love to rent a small house with a little land because we have pets.
I am going to suggest some rural areas close enough to cities that an inter-racial couple would not be unusual. Perhaps Harnett, Lee, Johnston or Moore Counties would work as they are close to Raleigh or Fayetteville. The job prospects are not bad. I would avoid some of the worst areas in NC wich have double-digit unemployment: Lumberton, Pembroke County, Rocky Mount, etc.

The Jacksonville area (with Camp Lejeune) is another possibility. I know of several inter-racial couples in nearby towns. Richlands would offer some inexpensive places to rent. There is a lot of construction going on if the husband able to do construction work.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 AM

10,622 posts, read 11,208,079 times
I'd look at the Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point). Housing costs are a little bit lower than the Raleigh or Charlotte area, but it is growing so there should be construction jobs, too. Good healthcare in that area, too. I don't think being an interracial couple is a big deal in many parts of NC. Not as many African Americans in the mountains, but there is a sizable Hispanic population. People of all flavors in the Triad.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:15 PM

222 posts, read 201,931 times
Greenville NC is also another possible. Rent out here is very reasonable. Decent places out here (about 2br 1ba) usually rents for $500-$600 dollars. Greenville has also been in the middle of a lot of construction due to revitalizing Uptown, making new roads or just adding a bunch of new stores. Construction jobs shouldn't be hard to find.

As for your job field Greenville has a huge healthcare market (biggest one east of 95).
Vident did just recently (about a year-year and a half ago) opened a Women and Children's hospital. Not sure if there are hiring or not but it's worth checking out.

There should be no problem with an interracial couple here since this is more of a college town and more people are accepting of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or