Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Number 3 NC city?
Greensboro 35 51.47%
Durham 17 25.00%
Winston-Salem 12 17.65%
Wilmington 3 4.41%
Asheville 2 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times

Advertisements

This thread is a spinoff based from larger discussions in the "Greensboro vs Greenville SC" thread on CvC board; and the "Greensboro vs Durham" thread from this board. This is a two part question, and feel free to answer in any way you feel. Personal experience, quality of l8fe, amenities and attractions, etc. The options for both questions is Greensboro, Durham, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, and Asheville...

First:

What, in YOUR opinion, is North Carolina's 3rd city, and what frames your opinion?

When I posted this question in the Greensboro vs durham thread, I only included those two cities, and these other three options came up repeatedly throughout the thread, so this gives a larger framework to answer this question...

As a former resident of both Fayetteville and South Charlotte, Greensboro always had the reputation of the third city. Among the first things I heard was the recognition of A&T. I'd also heard that somewhere along the way, Greensboro used to be more esteemed and larger than Raleigh. Black culture in general seems to gravitate to Greensboro more than any of these other cities, and 102 Jamz is the consensus best urban radio station in NC, among people I'd spoken to...

The club and nightlife scene in Greensboro, I'd always been led to believe it was the best of these 5 cities, and even comparable to Charlotte's and Raleigh's in some way. The notoriety of being the largest city in its region helped form my opinion, as well. My sister went to WSSU and loved it, but she said she's been to Greensboro often. I've met scores of people from both cities, and I people from Winston have generally has that "little brother" vibe, almost as if they look up to Greensboro. I can tell you for certain that outside of the Triad, outside of the state even, Greensboro seems to have "slightly" more name association than Winston and these other cities...

I haven't been to Winston or Wilmington. I was in Greensboro for the third time this year last weekend. I have a more favorable opinion of it than I earlier had. I still think that Durham is a very close trail, but on all other objective stats, I still feel Greensboro is the No. 3 NC city...

Second:

What is the hierarchy of the "Next Five"?

Admittedly, I haven't been to Winston or Wilmington. I was NOT impressed with Asheville when I visited, but that was in 2005. On criteria that can actually be measured, I'd number 1)Greensboro 2)Durham 3)Winston 4)Asheville 5)Wilmington...

As to the voting process, your vote is for the Third City of NC. Thanks all, and I welcome and appreciate all debate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 07:50 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Purely in terms of population, Greensboro has third place. This ranking is from C-D:Charlotte, NC 809,958
Raleigh, NC 439,896
Greensboro, NC 282,586
Durham, NC 251,893
Winston-Salem, NC 239,269
Fayetteville, NC 203,948
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/North-...#ixzz4Fi9WGrCf

In addition, Greensboro is the largest city in the third region of NC: the Trad. Wilmington and Asheville are way below these numbers. Even Cary is larger than tose two.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:37 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Greensboro is Third and Durham is fourth. IMO, even though the population of the two aren't too much different, (I'm not talking metro area population, here) Greensboro feels much larger than Durham and has a few more amenities that I would expect from a large city.

[It's shallow to do, but] If we just had to go off of Skylines, Winston-Salem would be third. Durham and Greensboro have pretty underwhelming skylines for cities their size.

I like Wilmington, and it is a pretty decent size for a city in this state, but I don't feel it overtakes Durham, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem. I do however, feel like it has a bit more going on than Fayetteville.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:42 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times
Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, IMO is one metro area and if you live anywhere in that metro area everything is available to you. IMO, far better than the Triad and Charlotte.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:36 AM

530 posts, read 637,477 times
Downtown Durham is easily livelier than downtown Greensboro.

Durham has a better performing arts scene, more award winning restaurants, better shopping options, a more educated populace, a higher per capita income, a lower unemployment rate, better medical center, a bigger economy, a faster growing economy and a faster growing population.

However, Greensboro is for now still a bigger city and more importantly it is the premiere city of the Triad region, which does mean something.

I live in Durham, I personally wouldn't want to live in Greensboro but it is a nice place and possibly still worthy of being NC's third city.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:17 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
Downtown Durham is easily livelier than downtown Greensboro.

Durham has a better performing arts scene, more award winning restaurants, better shopping options, a more educated populace, a higher per capita income, a lower unemployment rate, better medical center, a bigger economy, a faster growing economy and a faster growing population.

However, Greensboro is for now still a bigger city and more importantly it is the premiere city of the Triad region, which does mean something.

I live in Durham, I personally wouldn't want to live in Greensboro but it is a nice place and possibly still worthy of being NC's third city.
I agree. I've been to both and I always find myself wanting to go back to visit Durham. Greensboro, not so much. I don't hate Greensboro, it just never really appealed to me all that much. The best advantage (for me, anyway) that Greensboro has over Durham is that it's a quicker drive on US-29 from Danville than NC-86 from Danville to I-85 in Hillsborough. Both cities kick Danville's ass (which doesn't take much), so either way, I'm happy no matter where I visit.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:37 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,496,311 times
I say Durham over Greensboro, only because before I moved to NC I knew absolutely nothing about Greensboro, had no idea it was the 3rd largest city in NC. Many people don't know that. I had however heard of Durham and knew it was near Raleigh. Now that I've spent a lot of time in both Gboro and Durham, well I still say Durham. Yes Gboro is the premiere city of the Triad but it's still underwhelming. Elm St is like the one strip of cool downtown, the rest is just not attractive to me. Durham has more for sure, plus DPAC. I think more people who aren't from NC know of Durham than they do Greensboro, but obviously that's just a guess...I would not move to Greensboro.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
I would list Greensboro, simply because the Triad needs some love. Durham is often lumped in with Raleigh (in that godawful misused term "Raleigh/Durham" to refer to the metro area) and many of the amenities of Durham are Triangle-wide. I'm not sure what the point of this thread actually is, but in terms of the 3 biggest metros, it's certainly Charlotte, The Triangle, and The Triad.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:50 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Greensboro is Third and Durham is fourth. IMO, even though the population of the two aren't too much different, (I'm not talking metro area population, here) Greensboro feels much larger than Durham and has a few more amenities that I would expect from a large city.

[It's shallow to do, but] If we just had to go off of Skylines, Winston-Salem would be third. Durham and Greensboro have pretty underwhelming skylines for cities their size.

I like Wilmington, and it is a pretty decent size for a city in this state, but I don't feel it overtakes Durham, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem. I do however, feel like it has a bit more going on than Fayetteville.
Back when I lived in Greensboro, I use to like how the skyline looked when heading to Downtown from Friendly Center.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:11 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Just to introduce some stats into the discussion:

City Population (2015)
Greensboro: ~285,000
Durham: ~258,000
Winston-Salem:~241,000

City Growth since 2010
Durham: +12.83%
Greensboro: +5.85%
Winston-Salem: +5.05%

Metro Population (2015)
Greensboro: ~752,000
Winston-Salem: ~659,000
Durham: ~552,000

Metro Growth since 2010
Durham: +9.54%
Greensboro: +3.92%
Winston-Salem: +2.92%

City population density (2015)
Durham: ~2,411 ppsm
Greensboro: ~2,244 ppsm
Winston-Salem: ~1,826 ppsm

UA/UA density
Winston-Salem: ~391,000/1,212ppsm
Durham: ~348,000/1,913ppsm
Greensboro: ~312,000/1,684ppsm

GDP (2014, in billions)
Durham: 43.484
Greensboro: 38.567
Winston-Salem: 28.246

GDP growth since 2010
Greensboro: +11.59%
Winston-Salem: +9.35%
Durham: +8.17%

Per Capita Income
Durham: $27,748
Greensboro: $25,757
Winston-Salem: $24,569

Median Household Income
Durham: $48,241
Greensboro: $41,556
Winston-Salem: $40,689

Poverty of Population
Durham: 18.6%
Greensboro: 19.6%
Winston-Salem: 24.1%

Crime Rates (safest to most dangerous)
Overall: Greensboro 41.33; Durham 53.93, Winston-Salem: 62.51
Property Crime: Greensboro 36.86; Durham 46.44; Winston-Salem 55.25
Violent Crime: Greensboro 4.87; Winston-Salem 7.26; Durham 7.49
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina