Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 591 times

Advertisements

So me and my husband are extremely tired of the city life. Considering we have three young boys we want space and for the money we spend up here we could get triple the space in the south. We have decided on NC but so far that is all we have. I have been looking tediously but still not sure where to narrow it down too. Please any advice would be helpful. We are African American 28 and 34. Our boys are 11 10 & 6. Also employment in the social work and medical field would be great. We are kinda going on faith. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 05:50 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie324 View Post
We are African American 28 and 34. Our boys are 11 10 & 6. Also employment in the social work and medical field would be great.
Greenville in eastern NC has excellent medical facitilies (including an medical school), as does Winston-Salem in the Triad. Durham (with Duke) is another possibility, as is Raleigh.

Charlotte is the largest city in the state, but it might not work if you want more space. You would need to look at suburban housing around each of these cities.

I also suggest checking Indeed.com for general job listings, although the larger medical facilities like Duke usually have their own web-sites.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
...we want space and for the money we spend up here we could get triple the space in the south.
This assumes that you can maintain the same level of income; doing similar work.
Do you have any actual job offers to go by... or is this just conjecture?

Quote:
Also employment in the social work and medical field would be great.
That term "field" is a red flag to beware of.
In most cases it's hiding no actual license or professional qualification.
iow... an actual social worker would say LCSW and an actual Nurse would say BSN etc.

Quote:
We have decided on NC but so far that is all we have.
I have been looking tediously but still not sure where to narrow it down too.
I'd suggest you start with those solid job offers.
Then see what's nice or best for *you* nearby.

hth

Old 07-31-2016, 03:52 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
I guess it depends on what's your idea of decent space. I live in a 1,600 sq/ft townhouse, 3 beds 2 1/2 bath and a loft area, single car garage. My mortgage is $842/month (that's including property tax). Our household income is around $120,000/yr and we're quite comfortable.

If you're wanting 2,500 sq/ft or more (with a backyard) Charlotte is not cheap. If you're willing to do without the extra real estate, Charlotte is a steal.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:42 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
So me and my husband are extremely tired of the city life. Considering we have three young boys we want space and for the money we spend up here we could get triple the space in the south. We have decided on NC but so far that is all we have. I have been looking tediously but still not sure where to narrow it down too. Please any advice would be helpful. We are African American 28 and 34. Our boys are 11 10 & 6. Also employment in the social work and medical field would be great. We are kinda going on faith. Thank you in advance.
Do you currently live in an apartment or a row house?

Old 08-01-2016, 10:42 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
It depends on your exact jobs but the triangle has three main players in healthcare - duke, unc and wakemed. Charlotte has it's own system and Greenville, as someone else mentioned, has Vidant and ECU's medical school. If you go to Wilmington you've got New Hanover and in the triad you get Moses Cone and Baptist. Long way of saying that there are plenty of medical facilities which are always hiring if you're qualified for what they need. If you move without jobs I'd probably suggest going to an area with multiple systems so you have more to choose from.

Housing varies widely based on location and what you're looking for. If you can narrow that down we might be able to give you more on that. If schools are a consideration I'd probably focus on the triangle or Charlotte but I admitted don't know anything about Greenville or Triad schools.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
We have decided on NC but so far that is all we have
Can you give your thought process on how you have decided on a state but no further? NC is very diverse, so parts of it are not at all like other parts. What specifically about NC made you choose this state, and are you interested in mountains or coast, city or rural or in between, etc? It would be like saying "I want to move to PA but don't know any further"--not really enough info to go on for such a large, diverse state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina