U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:34 PM

10,519 posts, read 20,558,242 times

Advertisements

The "Sandhills" area (Moore county, primary towns Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Aberdeen) are very much known for horse things. There are lots of horse pastures, the NCSU Vet School has an Equine facility there, and there is even a Steeplechase there every April. This area is big with retirees and also with golfers. This is over an hour from Charlotte, though. Are you particularly wedded to Charlotte? What places in NC have you seen firsthand that you like?

Are there any other criteria you're looking for other than "NC" and "horses"? That could be a lot of places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 11:36 PM

527 posts, read 552,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The "Sandhills" area (Moore county, primary towns Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Aberdeen) are very much known for horse things. There are lots of horse pastures, the NCSU Vet School has an Equine facility there, and there is even a Steeplechase there every April. This area is big with retirees and also with golfers. This is over an hour from Charlotte, though. Are you particularly wedded to Charlotte? What places in NC have you seen firsthand that you like?

Are there any other criteria you're looking for other than "NC" and "horses"? That could be a lot of places.
Well, my husband will still be working and that will most likely be in Charlotte because it is the biggest metro city.

We traveled to Raleigh and down to Rockingham and it was a lovely area and the people in the towns we visited were super friendly! I like that the weather is mild and you actually have seasons. We only have Spring and summer here in Phoenix.

I like being close to a big city so we can go in and see a football game or concert venues. But i don't mind driving for that. If it's an hour, that's no big deal. I want to be able to go on walks and hike and bike ride. I want to be able to travel around the state and surrounding states to see the sights. Day trips would be so awesome!

As for a house, I have a huge house now and don't really want the same thing. A smaller house would be great. Unfortunately it looks like the ranch subdivisions all have the huge homes. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on a house anymore.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I think you can find property large enough to support a horse within your budget near Charlotte, but your budget is not enough to be in an "equestrian community" as these tend to have high-end homes.

I think you need to moderate your expectations a bit, and you have a few options.

- There are affordable horse properties near Pinehurst and Aberdeen which you can locate with a Google search. (Check MLS No. 175726 which is adjacent to miles of riding trails. It is listed for $200,000.)

- You could find an older home near Charlotte, but you might have to install a barn and fences. However, check the zoning for the county, as some require a minimum of 5 acres for horses. Union County only requires one acre per horse, with additional setbacks for a barn.

- The suggestion to buy a lot and build is also a good one, although with the budget you would be limited with the size of the house.
I think the buy lot and build is a good option because I have been looking and haven't really seen anything at all. Of course I understand that there aren't going to be territorial style homes in NC. I'm also a Pacific Northwest native, so that will be a big challenge. I do like that there is the trail system and miles of trails to ride on. That is fantastic!

Old 08-08-2016, 11:46 PM

I appreciate all the suggestions and even those that have looked up things for me. NC people are great and that's one of the reasons why I want to live there!

Old 08-10-2016, 03:35 PM
NCN

21,142 posts, read 23,075,421 times
www.queenscup.org
Go to gate three in the directions and pan the area from the air using google. Look under "race day" for the directions. Crow Road is a possible panning direction. First clear spot of grass down Crow Road is the farm I am talking about but the price may be higher than you want to spend. House I am thinking is off the road so I have never seen it. It is definitely a horse farm. There could be more because Union County has many horses and horse farms and horse lovers.

I reread your post. Our area has horse communities that have homes with community barns just as some developments have community pools. You probably need to get in touch with a real estate agent in the Union County area. We have driven through some of these developments but have never looked into buying there. I prefer individual. Our town also has a greenway where you are able to ride horses and we have a place where you can board your horse for a fee.

Let's just say this is not a "one horse" town. We have lots of horses inside our city limits. Town motto is "Conservation by design." Happy Trails!

Last edited by NCN; 08-10-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 07:48 PM

6,112 posts, read 2,622,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Hello and I absolutely love your state! I am trying to narrow down retirement options. We currently live near Phoenix, Arizona.

We would like to live in a new or newer home.
Price range 200,000 - 350,000 (is that too low or about right?)
We don't want to be isolated--we'd like to live in a subdivision of 2+ acres with other homes. That's where we live now and it's nice to have neighbors.
Are there any ranch or ranchette subdivisions near Charlotte? We'd really like to live near a big city. Right now, Phoenix, Arizona is about 35 mins (without traffic) away. Our closest shopping is about 10 mins.
Where are the horse properties in NC? Am I looking in the wrong area by looking near Charlotte?

Thank you for your help.
Some nice, rural suburban counties in metro areas that might have to acreage you're looking for: Charlotte (Lincoln Co., Cleveland Co., southern Cabarrus Co., NW Gaston Co., western York Co.). Greensboro/Winston Salem (Davidson Co., Randolph Co., Rockingham Co., northern Alamance Co.). A place that's not a "metro area", but has nice horse farms and is rated as one of the best retirement areas in the nation is the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area (Moore Co., just west of Fayetteville). Good luck in your search!

Old 08-15-2016, 02:32 PM

147 posts, read 126,355 times
Union County is pretty horsey--Service-wise we've got Waxhaw Tack Exchange, Mane Street Horse and Feed, plenty of mobile vet and farrier services around. There's an Equestrian park, WNAAA, and Cane Creek Park has trails. Loads of people have horses in Union County, but in your price range you are looking at south of Waxhaw and over toward Monroe, and stand alone modest houses on a few acres.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:39 PM

147 posts, read 126,355 times
Also there's Black Horse Run in Indian Land, SC--and equestrian community south of Charlotte. Looks like your price point!

https://www.housesincharlotte.com/bl...an-land-sc.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina